Mule Handles and a request, Sal

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
potterma

Mule Handles and a request, Sal

Post by potterma »

Sal,
I'll echo others comments on the board over the last few days and ask, no BEG that the handle mounting holes move up to 3/16... Or, at least, start the laser cut in the center of the cut-out, rather than outside. That kerf on the outside of the hole makes machining a real mother!

I used 18-8 stainless 3/16 OD spacers and threaded them for #4-40 screws. Opened the .164" holes to .188 with a carbide bit, but had to futs with the holes with the dremel to get them round enough for the spacers to go in.... :(

www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
brainus

Post by brainus »

Those are beautiful scales.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yowza Michael :cool: :eek: :cool:
what took you so long? :confused: ;) :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Wow! That is very, very nice! :eek: :cool:
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
myatt371

Post by myatt371 »

I'm jealous! :D
"If one hasn't seen the future-One hasn't driven fast enough!"-371

:spyder: "A knife is not just a tool...It is an extension of one's self."-371
sal

Post by sal »

Nice job.

No problem changing hole sizes to 3/16. Let's see how many also want the change.

sal
westfork

Post by westfork »

Very impressive!
arnon

Post by arnon »

Very cool :cool:
Arnon
Slick

Post by Slick »

sal wrote:Nice job.

No problem changing hole sizes to 3/16. Let's see how many also want the change.

sal
I'm not sure what size will be best for the hole sizes but I am sure they should be a 'standard' size for finding hardware.

If I may ask, why were the hole sizes for the MT01P decided upon?
Not really all that slick ;)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I don't know how I feel about that... I'm getting a set of Mule scales made that'll be designed to move from one Mule to the next, so any change in holes will probably prevent that from working out too well.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

A hole size that allows for easy to get hardware, or a pointer to hardware that fits, is high on my list.

Gordon
sal

Post by sal »

Slick wrote:I'm not sure what size will be best for the hole sizes but I am sure they should be a 'standard' size for finding hardware.

If I may ask, why were the hole sizes for the MT01P decided upon?
We thought that would be a standard size, easy to find. :o

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I definitely would like to see a more common hole size or a way of getting the right hardware. So far my efforts have been fruitless.
Thanks
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

Maybe Sal or someone else over at Spyderco could point us in the right direction to procure the proper size screws for the Mules?
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
GeorgeMaggos

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

sal wrote:Nice job.

sal
sal wrote:We thought that would be a standard size, easy to find. :o

sal
Hey Sal,

first of all thank you for the mule team project & I am behind you all the way no matter what I have completed my collector club agreement for the entire mule series & I sent it back to Karen I am in for the long run whatever steel is used I am in :)

I have some questions about the Mule knife you had handles put on - your mule with the black G-10( I think ), the one you sent to Scott Gere for the sheath fitting, can you please describe in detail that knives handles to us.

When I mean describe I mean can you tell us simply about the process, the parts & all pieces you used on your knife especially the screws?

Like what handle material was used how thick that material was ( the fastener length is determined by handle thickness right? ) which /what fasteners you used to hold those handles on which holes the fasteners went thru & used maybe some close - up photos of that knife especially the handles & when you describe the handle hardware please do it in layman's terms so we can go out & find the same handle hardware ourselves, many of us are unable to do this & the ones that can seem a little baffled by this as well.

I am not a knife maker or a handle maker but I would like to try & I would like to have a set of handles I can reuse on future mules.

Before you start talking about changing the hole sizes etc could you please just share with us what you did to your mule because it seems like if you did it maybe it can be repeated but you have the info?

Can I buy the same kind of screws you used on your knife anywhere can I find them locally or will I have to order them from a knife supplier on the internet is what I am wondering & you can clear that up.

These photos are the knife I am talking about.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Thank you in advance for your time & understanding I appreciate it.

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

potterma wrote:

potterma,
Outstanding job, beautiful knife, very impressive.
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Wow, potterma, those scales are BEAUTIFUL. Is that red/black G-10?

Also, I haven't yet bought a Mule, but would be very inclined to do so if the holes were made to a more standard size (3/16 sounds good).
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I just bought a Mule- but now I have to find something to do with it. :o Are there makers out there (or on this board) that will be able to make or already have handle and sheath options to sell to others?
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
potterma

Post by potterma »

Thanks for all the comments... Yes, that is red/black G10 :)

Sal, thanks for being understanding on the hole size.... :)

As for the 0.164" being a common size, the only thing I've been able to find off the shelf is a #8-32 screw (0.164" is the nominal major diameter of the thread). I didn't go that way with this one because I wanted a balanced look with the hardware from side to side. I could have used a #8 screw with a Pem nut on the back side, or maybe find #8 binder posts and shorten them a bit.
Couldn't find anything for pins that would be a nice fit. Mosaic pins would look nice :)
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Potterma,

First off, Nice scales those look great. As you know, I am a big fan of the Anso style texture (I dont kno if he was the first to use it, he is just the one I know that uses it alot). Thats a great looking knife.

Secondly, I am with that I would love a 3/16 size hole.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23