Military BG042 CF?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LOOKABIRD

Military BG042 CF?

Post by LOOKABIRD »

Does anyone have this? I'm seriously ocnsidering buying it but I don't know if it's worth twice the price of a G-10 CPMS30V version. Any stories or testimonials about this knife?

Tom
Spyderfly x2, Civilian G-10, Military CF S90V, Military CF BG-42, CalyIII PE CF ZDP-189, Military SE, Harpy SS PE, Merlin SE Black FRN, P'Kal, Tasman Salt PE Black FRN, Karambit, Cricket PE SS, Police SE SS, Ladybug CE Blue FRN

Wish List: Military Black Blade PE
BUY "ALWAYS SEARCHING" ON ITUNES!
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

I have one. Probably the best from Spyderco. It is a liner lock knife but the best. The steel too. BG-42 shows an extremly fine edge.

I would appreciate more such knives with BG-42 and a quality of Millie. Other Spydercos have slight vertical blade play (both lockbacks and, as some people claim, the comp-locks too; very sad IMO).

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

The BG-42 steel on the military is awesome. Takes a ridiculous edge and is pretty easy to bring back up.
markg

Post by markg »

It's worth it... You can always shop around for a good deal too.
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

This is my most carried spyder. the edge is fantastic, the size and weight work well for me, and the liner lock is snug and tight. plus the sound it makes when you spyder drop it is amazingly cool.

you can find them on the bay for under 150, plus shipping. so it's not a big dent in the wallet
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

If you are going to use it and use it a lot, then yes...it sure is worth it. But if only for occasional use I think the difference in price is enough for you to get the CPMS30V one.

As mentioned the latest Millies coming out are incredibly well made. I'm not one for large folders, but if I were to use one the Millie is the one I'd pack. It is currently my largest folder and I am very impressed by its sharpness straight out of the box. However, mine is just sitting idle and I might just end up trading it off as I think it would be a waste.

Good luck....I hate making these kinds of decisions. If money is not an issue, get BOTH ;)

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

another vote for the CF mili -- the carbon fiber alone makes the knife incredible. keeps that grippy texture much longer than G10, and is lighter. i've got the CF S30V model -- it's my favorite "bush knife" folder for non-wet weather... :D

you'll be pleased with either... but probably more pleased with the BG42.
TheSavageRabbit

Post by TheSavageRabbit »

Love mine. I was able to slash through a pineaple with it. If you've ever seen Attack of the Killer Tomatos, you know that's a very important issue. A pineaple would probably put up a tougher fight than a ripe tomato ... considering its armor and sharp spikes.

It was my first Military. I bought the S30V carbon fiber because I liked the BG42 so much. I would've bought the CPMD2 Military but I don't like G10 and really don't like the color of the G10 handle on the D2 Military.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I've got one and I'll never part with it. The BG-42 is amazing.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

datan wrote:If you are going to use it and use it a lot, then yes...it sure is worth it. But if only for occasional use I think the difference in price is enough for you to get the CPMS30V one.

As mentioned the latest Millies coming out are incredibly well made. I'm not one for large folders, but if I were to use one the Millie is the one I'd pack. It is currently my largest folder and I am very impressed by its sharpness straight out of the box. However, mine is just sitting idle and I might just end up trading it off as I think it would be a waste.

Good luck....I hate making these kinds of decisions. If money is not an issue, get BOTH ;)

Cheers
Dan
Don't trade it away Dan, you'll just regret it and order another :p

Best outdoor folder on the market IMHO... Don't you feel an urge to go backpacking sneaking up on you :D

Sverre
Senate

Post by Senate »

another vote for the BG42 Milie, great user and only CF milie with a liner on both side! ;)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Stop it, you guys are killing me :rolleyes: I've just gotten myself calmed down to the point I was cionvinced I didn't need one of these. I recently got a foliage green millie and this design is as good as everyone raves :o :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

I just recently got the BG42 Millie. I really like the feel of the CF on it. It's very grippy. Your never gonna let this one slip out of your hand. It also has a really nice look to it when viewed at different angles, like all CF does. It feels lighter, but it could just be mental. I don't imagine the weight could be that much different than the G10.

In my opinion, it's worth the difference in price. It's just got something "extra" over the G10 version.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Unless you are a steel nut like me and want every type there is I don't see any reason to have the CPM D-2 and BG-42 versions.
Though, the BG-42 Military will probably become highly collectable.
cheez

Post by cheez »

How does the Bg42 steel hold up compared to CPM-D2?

Has anyone compared these yet?

Keno
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

From what I have read most people say BG-42 is a little better than VG-10 in every way, with CPM D-2 being slightly better than that.

Personally I can get BG-42 sharper than any other steel type I've tried. CPM D-2 comes close. (I have yet to sharpen ZDP-189 at something ridiculous like five degrees per side, which I expect to blow everything else out of the water.)
As far as edge holding goes CPM D-2 should be a little better than BG-42.
TheSavageRabbit

Post by TheSavageRabbit »

Joshua J. wrote:Unless you are a steel nut like me and want every type there is I don't see any reason to have the CPM D-2 and BG-42 versions.
Though, the BG-42 Military will probably become highly collectable.
What about the S30V carbon fiber military? I thought there were only 450 or so of those made compared to the 1,500 pieces for the BG42? Is there any talk about the future collector's value for the S30V CF?

The one with more collector's value will go back in the safe and the other will defend against pineapples.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.