ZDP clamor..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dannyvi

ZDP clamor..

Post by Dannyvi »

seems like everybody likes his favorite Spydie model in a ZDP blade or requests for zdp blade for this, for that..question !! Would you like all Spyderco folders use the zdp blades??
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I wouldn't complain :D .

I would like to see the Golden Spydies continue using up to date American steel, but ZDP on the Seki models would be darn spiffy! Not that I don't like vg-10(which I really do!), but ZDP is an improvement. I like the edge, and the finish, real good stuff.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

No.

Unless the price point could be kept the same, which I doubt.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Dannyvi wrote:seems like everybody likes his favorite Spydie model in a ZDP blade or requests for zdp blade for this, for that..question !! Would you like all Spyderco folders use the zdp blades??

I had never heard of ZDP until about a week or so ago! I've long been happy with whatever steel a given knife was made from. 440C, ATS-34, ATS-55, AUS-8, GIN-1 / G-2, CPM440V, CPMS30V... and you know what? I could not tell you in honesty that I encounter so much noticeable difference between any two of those. I am not a hard-user of my knives, I guess, and I guess some people genuinely are. I guess that's why they come to notice differences in the attributes and weaknesses of various steels.

I have to wonder, though, if it is not the case that some people on the "I-gotta-have-this-miracle-steel-'ZDP'" bandwagon are just that -- people who've jumped onto a bandwagon. How many of them know what the steel is about, and need that to the point that the last wonder-steel just... could... not... suffice? :rolleyes: How many of them are not just fad-followers who "know" that this steel is the answer to their prayers?

Look, I have not done any reading on it or seen reviews of it or comparisons between it and other steels, but unless it is adamantium-like in its sharpness, toughness, corrosion resistance, and hardness, I just don't see why my other knives in "lesser" steels are not adequate.

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Look, I have not done any reading on it or seen reviews of it or comparisons between it and other steels, but unless it is adamantium-like in its sharpness, toughness, corrosion resistance, and hardness, I just don't see why my other knives in "lesser" steels are not adequate.
There isn't any "adamantium" except in the "X-men" world. According to Wikepedia :
Adamantium is a fictional chemical substance, often a metal. The name comes from adamant or adamantine combined with the Neolatin ending -ium, and resembles the form of the names of the chemical elements. In its classical meaning, adamant referred either to any hard substance, including diamond, or a hypothetical impenetrable mineral; thus, adamantium often refers to a fictional impenetrable element or substance.
Most of us that have been fortunate enough to get a knife from this sprint run won't be testing it to destruction. I know I'm going to use it like I have all my other knives, and not baby it though. I will in time form my own opinions on it as a steel for knives, especially folding knives.

I'll say this. If you can't tell the difference between AUS 8A and ZPD 189 just by looking at them for instance,and know what having the carbon level up to 3% can do for a steel what are you doing here? For you a lesser knife probably would be adequate. For me though attempting to find the best knife I can afford surely isn't a fad. I really wish more knife companies would push the state of the art like Spyderco is doing. BTW, have you ever thought about the "firsts" they've brought to us, and how many trends Spyderco has started?

Get what's the best for you. I know I want the very best I can have and afford. As a matter of fact I want a few of them! Joe L.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I've USED my ZDP-189 guite a good bit, and I know this stuff rocks! I've only hard to sharpen three times, and even then it was for maintenence, and not because the blade had dulled. It also sharpens up much easier than I had anitcipated.

One funny thing about ZDP is that even after it loses it's shaving ability, it still cuts like the devil! I'm not versed in metals, but what I can say from a users standpoint is that ZDP-189 is superior steel.

I do agree with Scott on the price point, it would run it up a bit! Maybe in the future there will be more supply, and having ZDP(or whatevers better then ;) )has stock choice on Spydies may be more realistic.
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

I do prefer ZDP over any or all of the other steels ! I am not saying other steels are not adequate but why not get one that's MORE THAN adequate ? Jeffrey, you should try to to read up more on the newer steels, might convince you ! Like Scott says though, price will be the determining factor, but like everything else prices tend to go down eventually.
JD Spydo

Steel classification

Post by JD Spydo »

The only 2 steels that Spyderco ever used that I personally didn't like were 440A and AUS-6. They weren't terrible but just not as good as the rest of them.

Here is what you have with ZDP-189 compared to all the other popular blade steels that Spyderco has used the last 8 years>

Steels like S30V, VG-10, GIN-1, ATS-34, ATS-55 ect, ect,. are truly CADILLAC blade steels.

ZDP-189 is a Rolls Royce/Lamborghini type of blade steel. It truly is an accurate analogy. And if you ever EDC one you will be spoiled rotten I can assure you :D Any disagreements???? :rolleyes:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dannyvi wrote:seems like everybody likes his favorite Spydie model in a ZDP blade or requests for zdp blade for this, for that..question !! Would you like all Spyderco folders use the zdp blades??
No, it would raise the price and not provide any significant benefit for most uses.

IMHO, unless you use your knife so much that VG-10 or S30V needs more than a touchup once a week, or you lack the ability to put a decent edge on any knife and must rely on sending it back to Spyderco for sharpening, there is no cost/benfit to ZDP-189. From an aesthetic perspective, it's just another grey metal, nothing to get particularly excited about. Plus, variety, as they say, is the spice of life, not to mention a great safeguard against the supply of one specific material suddenly drying up.

I'm not a steel junkie, so, aside from stainless damascus, which would be worth the extra cost to me because of its looks, there is no steel that I care whether Spyderco uses or not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

My ZDP Caly does out perform my VG 10 Caly. The VG 10 Caly is a superb cutter so I often wonder if a more than superb cutter is not going into OCD territory.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

As much as I like my ZDP models, they are mainly curio knives for me. Nicely collectible variations that offer amazing edgeholding. They are also a bear to resharpen if you're too late. ;)

Regular VG-10 blades are a joy to maintain. No real 'need' on my part for a complete line of ZDP189 blades, though one/two regular production models would seem appropriate.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I don't think we know -- certainly I don't know -- the toughness of 64 Rc ZDP versus, say, the 60ish Rc VG-10. If they were comparable in toughess (seems hard to believe), then I'd favor ZDP anywhere that the cost was worth it. I have a hard time believing that the toughness would be comparable, but if it were, I'd be on the bandwagon. As it is, I'm not willing to sacrifice my ZDP Calypso Jr to find out.

It's a separate question as to whether or not this would be smart for Spyderco, given the cost increase, and the fact that people might have trouble sharpening it. The latter factor is offset somewhat by the fact that Spyderco could decrease the edge angle with ZDP, which goes a long way in making it easier to sharpen, even with harder steel
STR

Post by STR »

The steel is for real when it comes to cutting performance. The first time you sharpen it it will perform even better. Many times over better actually. I finally decided to try it out using the one I'm keeping for myself. I picked up some hemp rope cheap at a yard sale so the cuts were on some hemp rope. I gave up because it kept cutting. I stopped counting after 300 slices with the ZDP Delica 4. VG10 in the 93mm Rescue ( a bigger knife at that) got to 155 and maybe had 200 slices in it tops before it would have had to been resharpened but I wore a blister on my index finger from all the hard leverage slicing I was doing and quit.

I don't know when the ZDP would have run out of steam. It still sliced news print and even took some hairs off my arm if you hit them just right in the slice motion and that was after that many cuts in 3/8" hemp rope. It took some skin also to grab those hairs but its enough to prove it held its edge very stubbornly. It was way sharper than the VG10 blade after 300 cuts so there is something to be said about it that really sets it above the other steels I've used.

My questions are more around corrosion resistance although like Joe I wonder about the toughness of it also.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I picked up a ZDP Delica yesterday, so now the test shall begin (I have to sharpen my S30V knives about once a week. Not touch up, sharpen.) I will soon know how real world tough it is. :D
Until then, I would say there is no need to use ZDP189 in everything, and there may even be applications where it would be a detriment. If it comes out of a day at work looking like it is serrated, I'll put it away and go back to S30V and VG10. :rolleyes:
recoil

Post by recoil »

I have to agree with Deacon on this one, I maintain my users and they are razor sharp.
If the new steel were only slightly pricier then the other quality steels then I would not mind but I'll be damned if I spend the kind of money being spent on a zytel handled folder! :eek:
Kinda like putting re-tread tires on that race car :D

dave
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I for one have no complaint of any steel used by Spyderco , it is up to the user to maintain a blade for optimum use . I do like different steels so I can refer them to others , thus I welcome new entries of steels . Is it a better mouse trap ? again this is up to the user , I find most steels are adequate and some people could care less and are not versed with the variety of steels on the market . Personally I would like to see more of BG-42 a great steel that never quite had a chance to catch on in the market with the arrival of CPM-S30V . Sal has a good ear of the steel market I will trust that in the future , and it is fun to see what is around the corner .
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Maybe I should be more specific in this question as most answers anre largely dependent on who buys knives for what use. Collectors are really not too particular about what makes a knife a knife( for use as cutters or tool) but for it's beauty and long term looks. While users want the toughness and wearability of a knife. I suppose ZDP has its advantages and also disadvantages depending what you want a knife for.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I love ZDP-189 as much as the next Knut, it's my all time favorite steel, and I'd be more than happy to see it's use on all Seki models, but I don't think it would be best for everybody. I trust Spyderco, and whatever steel they decide to use on a knife is fine by me. If they decide that Aus-6 is (somehow) the best steel for a particular knife, I'm going to trust them.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Senate

Post by Senate »

all the fun is in diversity, i love spyderco for trying every steel on the market and giving us the chance to choose...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

No, I would not like Spyderco to make all blades in ZDP. Some more Spirit Runs would be fine, but not all. I like good steels with an ease of sharpening factor in there, most of the time. No way I will carry a ZDP EDC.