Be aware and cautious.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
fret

Be aware and cautious.

Post by fret »

I received an email from PayPal saying that I had added a new email address to my account. I thought now what? I opened the email after it was scanned and no viruses were found. It said that if I had not added this new email address I would have to click on a link and so I did.The link opened and looked like a "PayPal official" email. It asked me for my email address, password, and name. I didn't give any information as I knew right away that it was a fraud. Instead, I signed into PayPal and sent them the email. They replied that it indeed was a "fraud" and are now after the joker that sent it to me. Just thought everyone should know about it.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

It's called "phishing" and it's one of the most prevalent scams out there lately. Mostly they center around credit card companies or eBay, that's the first I've heard of regarding PayPal though. Bottom line is, never sign in using a link you receive in an email. Even if you think it's genuine, go to your browser and sign in using the path you know is secure.
Senate

Post by Senate »

yep phishing it is, I receive that kind of fraudulent mail for eBay and Paypal and they're more and more realistics.
when you edit the mail with a text editor, you can see in the source that the link or button is not referring to paypal.com or ebay.com but the server's IP of the hackers...
Ted

Post by Ted »

I once got a similair e-mail which directed my to a website that had some maskerading in the URL so that it looked like an official PayPal site.
That site asked for every single thing you can think of. All in one big form. Things like

address
birthdates
bank account
tax id
credit cards
pin codes
usernames passwords
answers to secret questions like 'place of birth', 'mothers maiden name', etc.

All of course to 'verify' my details. :D
fret

Post by fret »

I got another email from the same source saying that I had paid a huge amount of money thru PayPal and my cc to someone I've never heard of. I called my cc company and they said nothing had been paid. I contacted PayPal and they are going to investigate it. I hope they catch this criminal. I spent all morning trying to get this mess straightened out.
JD Spydo

take action

Post by JD Spydo »

Say "fret" I got the exact same e-mail last night. I like you, forwarded it on to http://www.paypal.com. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks for telling us. :)
fret

Post by fret »

That's the way PayPal wants it J D. They are hoping someone will send them an email that has a "slip-up" in it so they can nab the criminal. The more email they get , the better the odds are to nab the criminals. I can't understand why anyone would do such a thing other than to get thrills and information. Must be a huge rush of adrenaline for them?