Pocket light recommendations anyone?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spyderknut

Pocket light recommendations anyone?

Post by spyderknut »

I always carry a pocket light at work. I need a bright white light not much bigger than a pen with a pocket clip. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!

I'd suggest the Streamlight Keymate! I ws "turned on" to this one by my slicker than snail snot bro jbkae! It has a wire clip and fits in the pocket VERY well, they're inexpensive, easily replaced, and BRIGHT! So bright in fact, that a few months ago, there was a bomb threat at one of the Units I was working in and since the issued Mag lights were typically not functioning, I used the Keymate....it's a great lil' light and you could get several! (Mahalo jbake!)

Now OTOH, let's wait and see what my LED crazed brother in Cali has to say about this one... :D
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
seaman

Post by seaman »

Photon, can not go wrong with them.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm enjoying my Inova X5.... effective range seems to be around 40 feet, yet it lights up the school across the street.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jbake

Post by jbake »

The key mate is a nice keychain light. And the photon as well.

I noticed you mentioned you could have something bigger though.

If you can handle a light that uses x2 AA batteries, Streamllight has a new one on the market that looks very promising:
http://www.streamlight.com/jr_lux_all.htm
Only 3.8 ounces with batts - 30 lumens.

The Inova X1 is very small and bright, and I was EDC'ing it for a while, but the spotlight beam is just too tight for me to use on the job.

So, my EDC lights are getting bigger. Right now I'm swapping out between a Surefire L2 and a KL4 head on an E2D body.

Hey Daywalker, how do you say, "You're welcome!"?
king-of-mars

Post by king-of-mars »

http://peakledsolutions.net/

Hey DW, you knew I wouldn't miss this one! :D

Spyderknut check out this website, I've got the seven LED McKinley and am sending the three LED Matterhorn to my bro in Hawaii. They're both great lights and small, the three LED is very close to an ARC AAA in performance which is pretty much perfection in my book. Also I agree with everyone else regarding the Streamlight Key-Mate, bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with that light. I hope that helps. :cool:
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Thanks gents. I'll probably get 1 or two of the models y'all have recommended with the pocket clips (must have clip). I might have to get one of each. Sure would be nice if there was a Bricks and Mortar store where I could check a few out but for the retail prices I'd have to pay, I can probably just get more lights shopping online :D .
Ray.Hood

Mornin all.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I recommend the Surefire Exec. Elite series, E1e. Hasn't failed me yet.
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Ditto on the SureFire e series - or their digital LED lights.

If it really has to be pen-sized, I'd suggest a Streamlight stylus. They are exactly like a pen in size and only cost $15 or so. The downsides are that is uses 4-A (AAAA) batteries, which aren't all that common, and it's a low level of light. The e series are like pocket search lights compared to the Stylus, which is meant to illuminate only a small area.
-- Ray
cdf

Post by cdf »

I love the Streamlite stylus . It goes good in the shirt pocket , and nakes a good technicians penlight , I know cause I are one . The Surefire E1 with the new KL1 head is really awsome , and bullit proof . The streamlite stylus also comes a a flex head version . This is sweet for poking around in behind computers etc .
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i would go with a mini maglite with a opalec newbeam Led lamp assembly - or a sandwich (see candlepowerforums.com for info on the sandwich)

if you dont mind going to something around 130mm long by 20mm at the body/30mm at the head i would suggest a surefire e2e or an L4
of course you could buy a E2E and put the KL4 or new KL1 head on it
or try searching CPF for the "ALEPH" series of lights

streamlight batonlite would be a good choice too (plus u can use it as a kubotan for SD)
only problem is it uses "N" cell batteries which can be a challenge to find
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

Maybe you'll find some useful recomendations here http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605
spyderknut

Follow up bump

Post by spyderknut »

I got the Key-mate. Great little lights which I will use and recommend to others. Not right for my intended use that began this thread though. I need to look at details of people. Skin, mouth, pupils, wounds. I need a bright white light. The Key-mate light is a little too blue. Also, I always worry that a twist on light will be left on in my pocket and the battery will die. Button batteries for the key-mate are another drawback in my view. I like lithium batteries for staying power or AA for availability. I guess I will try the streamlight Jr. next unless I hear that light output is not white or hear about other recommendations soon.
Thanks for all the input fellas!
i.v

Post by i.v »

steamlight keymate :D
if you don't mind something a little bigger & a lot more powerful, twin task 1
jbake

Post by jbake »

Ah... now I understand what you want.

My wife is a doc and she HATES ALL of my LED lights.

The color, she says, is not "realistic". LED's have too much variance in them anyway. I have three surefire LEDs and no two of them have the same tint.

If you're as picky as my wife :D I think you gotta go incandescent.

Maybe a Surefire E1E?

Maybe another healthcare type will respond.