S110V Native 5 Handle Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What handle would you want?

Black
2%
Red
15%
Blue
10%
Brown
3%
Gray
4%
Green
5%
Tan
3%
Stag Arms Green
18%
Carbon Fiber
33%
Something Fancier (Titanium, Bolsters, etc)
7%

Total votes: 163

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Chuck I think what he is saying is that he doesn't want any for himself buy will buy up a bunch to sell at jacked up prices.
jossta wrote:How much impact are we expecting a 3" folder to sustain? I mean I pretty much only buy heavy duty folders, but some people might argue that they don't see anything special about a steel that sustain heavy impact when all they want a knife to do is cut something for a long time.
Hahaha, spot on guys! :D
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Alright, I guess Carbon Fiber is the winner!

Stag Arms Green 22 25.29%
Carbon Fiber 25 28.74%
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Shakyamuni wrote:Alright, I guess Carbon Fiber is the winner!

Stag Arms Green 22 25.29%
Carbon Fiber 25 28.74%
I don't think a conclusive decision could be made from 90 total votes. How many of these are planned to be produced anyway?

Carbon fiber is cool to talk about, but kinda boring to look at; and for the price--it doesn't yield enough weight loss to be beneficial or even noticeable.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I didn't vote but last time I looked Stag Arms green was in the lead; this is kind of shocking
I do not know what is with people and CF. CF seems to be the choice so far this year and not just on spyderco's

Hopefully we will get an update from Sal on their decision. No matter shat scales; I'm buying one. The knife itself is way more important to me than the scales
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

Using CF may put this out of the reach of a lot of people. Plus there has already been a CF Native. While I like CF, I am not too keen on it going on this one.
Spydies owned: Sage, Sage 2, Sage 3, Sage 4, Lum CF, Lum (foliage), Para Military, Gayle Bradley, Caly 3, M390 Military, Military (orange), PM 2 (orange), Dodo (orange), Manix 2 (orange), Manix 2 (moonglow), Merlin, Matriarch SE, UKPK (maroon), Chinook 3, Khukuri, Superhawk, Street Beat, Lum Tanto sprint, Massad Ayoob sprint, PPT, Shabaria, Persian (red), JD Smith (foliage), BayouShooter Endura, and P'kal.

Waiting for: Dark green PM2.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

There are tons of CF knives and not that many dark green
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JB3

Fancier?

Post by JB3 »

Just an option like "Titanium" instead of "Something Fancier (Titanium, Bolsters, etc) " would have been more appropriate for my choice.
Seems like it excludes choice by being vague.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:Evil - I think the consensus on the other thread was for a darker red (burgundy? maroon? crimson?). That would get my vote.

But definitely not the bright red of a trainer...

TedP
It's funny Ted, my delica trainer is much more burgundy/crimson vs. the bright red I wish it was.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Hmm.. this thread needs some metrics.

From the current dealer exclusives (http://www.spyderco.com/exclusives/) we have:

Tan: 2
Blue: 4
Pink: 2
Green: 6
Orange: 2
CF: 1
Moon Glow: 1
Brown: 1

Of course this doesn't include Sprints, but based on colors that are being overdone or very few is more than enough, I would say we'll see CF since brown, while really nice looking, still makes us think FDE and tactical models.
Slash

Post by Slash »

anyone catch that Benchmade forum knife?
950 rift w/cf scales, m4 w/clear cerakote blade.
looks pretty nice for $160.

time for some fanboys to step up your game. I don't think green g10 will cut it.

edit to say. don't bother running to their forum to register and get one. you had be registered prior to 2/1/12. plus, I think most all are already spoken for anyhow.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Slash wrote:anyone catch that Benchmade forum knife?

time for some fanboys to step up your game. I don't think green g10 will cut it.

edit to say. don't bother running to their forum to register and get one. you had be registered prior to 2/1/12. plus, I think most all are already spoken for anyhow.
Spyderco has a knife like that, the Gayle Bradley. It's regular production and $115-130.

Comparing M4 to 110v is kinda like the Corvette revving it's engine at a Ferrari 599 GTO. Both fast cars...but... :rolleyes:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

If you put CF scales and M4 on the N5 it would probably cost about that much...but I have a feeling that the limited availability of S110V is going to drive the cost up, and keeping the G-10 scales was a way to help keep the costs down.
On the hunt for...
Slash

Post by Slash »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:If you put CF scales and M4 on the N5 it would probably cost about that much...but I have a feeling that the limited availability of S110V is going to drive the cost up, and keeping the G-10 scales was a way to help keep the costs down.
At the bulk price that spyderco could purchase some of the materials for, that's not where they really save the money. It's mostly the cost of manufacturing in using cheaper materials, which in turn could give the feeling of a cheaper made knife.
Is that really what most people want? To have the feeling of a cheaper made knife?

Blerv this thread is about handle material...not steel.
as in putting a Ferrari engine on a fiero body kit car.

I would rather have a steel that has the toughness and sharpens up like m4 than s110v though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Slash wrote: Blerv this thread is about handle material...not steel.
To be exact, this thread is about handle material for S110V Native......not BM forum knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

Slash wrote:At the bulk price that spyderco could purchase some of the materials for, that's not where they really save the money. It's mostly the cost of manufacturing in using cheaper materials, which in turn could give the feeling of a cheaper made knife.
Is that really what most people want? To have the feeling of a cheaper made knife?

I would rather have a steel that has the toughness and sharpens up like m4 than s110v though.
I wouldn't at all say that the N5 feels like a cheaper made knife. In fact I would say that it feels like a much more quality built knife than the vast majority of BM knives that I have owned and handled, even the ones that were much more expensive than the N5.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry, I don't know why I went so far off-topic regarding blade steel or comparing cross-brand products.

Frankly a handle material is a handle material. Some people actually prefer G10 to CF or Titanium. It can offer great traction or a refined look (like the Bushcraft) for less money. If people want the CF knife that's great! I just don't care what another brand is doing and surely don't consider it a gauntlet slap or a dance challenge. Let the poll do the talking and give the people what they want.

Then again, if other kids are going to laugh at me I retract my opinions and wish to go with the flow. ;)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Since some of you are a little slow. Let me explain my post. BM forum members are supporting a forum knife with cf handle scales. I'm posting in the thread having to do with handle material...get it now?

It's not about being second best. Sorry for offending and hurting anyones feelings if that was what you thought. Try reading more closely.

Just staying to step up your game. If green g10 is chosen for its cost effectiveness, then so be it.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Slash wrote:At the bulk price that spyderco could purchase some of the materials for, that's not where they really save the money. It's mostly the cost of manufacturing, which in turn could give the feeling of a cheaper made knife.

- That you prefer CPM M4 to S110V speaks volumes. M4 is fine but S90V and M390 are better choices. That and not all M4's are equal. You need to check HT numbers on delivered product, not as claimed by marketing.
- S110V is in another league altogether. Especially produced by a company that cares about steel.
- Why are you looking for impact resistance versus edge holding in a 3" blade? Batoning 1/2" dowels?
- Nothing special about carbon fiber scales or G10. Both work fine. Both are common.
- And finally, you apparently participate in this forum but you refer to us as 'fanboys'? Disappointing.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Slash wrote:Since some of you are a little slow. Let me explain my post. BM forum members are supporting a forum knife with cf handle scales. I'm posting in the thread having to do with handle material...get it now?

It's not about being second best. Sorry for offending and hurting anyones feelings if that was what you thought. Try reading more closely.

Just staying to step up your game. If green g10 is chosen for its cost effectiveness, then so be it.
Generally apologies don't follow well to snide retorts.

Nobody has hurt feelings (hopefully not you either). If you like Carbon Fiber just say it. I don't know how BM's use of it is 1.) superior 2.) worthy stepping up our game.

Namely I don't exactly understand how such a game-stepping is measured in the first place (or that we were playing). Are certain colors ranked with higher points too?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Spook410 wrote:- That you prefer CPM M4 to S110V speaks volumes. M4 is fine but S90V and M390 are better choices. That and not all M4's are equal. You need to check HT numbers on delivered product, not as claimed by marketing.
I think that you may be going a bit too far here. Truth be told in many situations I would take M4 over both of those steels. In fact 90% of the time I would for sure take it over M390.

There really is no "better choice" when it comes to steel. I have chipped S90V and 20CP, in those cases I wasn't doing anything stupid with the knife, it just happened to hit something that was too hard. M4 would likely have survived with little to no damage.

My personal opinion is that I like 20CP, S90V, S110V etc in small or thin bladed knives where they can act more like a scalpel, being blazingly sharp and staying that way for ages. I prefer slightly tougher steel in a knife that is likely to get knocked around a bit, maybe the blade gets twisted a bit while cutting etc.

So lets not jump on people for liking different steels.

I do agree however, that steels are not equal, HT and grind etc can have a big impact on overall performance.

That being said, I have heard that Spyderco does tend to HT a little higher than other companies which give their steels an edge when it comes to edge retention.
On the hunt for...