Need advice on Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dl1340

Need advice on Manix 2

Post by dl1340 »

I have a black g-10 s30v pm2 as the first spyderco I purchased. Followed that up with a Spyderco Domino C172CFBLTIP, CTS XHP Steel, Titanium Frame & Blue Weave Carbon Fiber Handle from knifeworks. My next spyderco that I want to add to the collection is a manix2. I have been looking for black g-10 s30v manix 2 but having trouble locating one in stock. Saw all the threads about the value of the LW manix2. My question for those who have both, should I wait and try to buy a black g-10 s30v when I find one or pull trigger on LW manix2. There are no local dealers near me that have that many spyderco knifes in stock. Basspro only carries one or two. I know what the g-10 scales will fill like, not sure on how the LW scales will feel. I can only buy one manix 2 so trying to decide between them. Got to start saving for a rubicon after this purchase. Thanks
Last edited by dl1340 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie1801

Re: Need advice on Manix 2

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Well both the s30v black manix and lightweight manix's in bd1 and s110v steel are full time production knives so you should be able to buy them in the long run. If I was you I would buy the lw s110v manix first, it's just so light and the blade is like a baby chainsaw. Also you might want to look at the cruwear manix (if you can find one, bladeforums maybe?) another really awesome knife :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
v8r

Post by v8r »

i sent you a pm.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Supremesolutions, a legit ebay seller, has the black manix for less than $100 and Cutlery shoppe has it for a few dollars more.

It really just comes down to preference. The s110v frn model is more practical, while you clearly want the aesthetics of the black blade.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
dl1340

Post by dl1340 »

I ended up ordering manix 2 LW in dark blue. It should be here in the next few days
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Those are two of my favorite versions of the Manix 2, but they're VERY different knives once you get them in your hand. About the only thing that's the same between them is the size and ergonomics. The weight is vastly different, and the feeling in your hand will differ a lot because of the G10 vs. FRN. Overall I've gotta say I like the LW much more than the G10 version. It has already been proven that the blade will likely snap before you defeat the lock or handle, so I don't really see the point of big beefy liners in this knife, they really just add unnecessary weight. About the only thing I miss about the DLC version is the looks of the all blacked out knife...which only makes me hope they someday make an all black DLC LW.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

dl1340 wrote:I ended up ordering manix 2 LW in dark blue. It should be here in the next few days
That is a great knife. If you're disappointed in it I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone who can take it off your hands. :)
timlara

Post by timlara »

I definitely prefer the LW version of the Manix2 as well. It is ridiculously light in the pocket, but feels completely secure and solid in use, and not at all "cheap". It seems that some people have a hard time getting past the fact that FRN handles are "plastic", but it is very, very high quality plastic and I can honestly say that it has become my favorite handle material for actual, practical use. Other higher-end handle materials like titanium or carbon fiber certainly have their own virtues and appeal, but you just can't beat FRN for value and function, IMO.

Also, I think in your case since you have two regular/medium weight knives already in your PM2 and Domino, the LW Manix2 will add some variety to the group. Hope you enjoy the M2LW as much as I do!
dl1340

Post by dl1340 »

Manix 2 LW came in today. Like timiara stated above, I am having hard time getting past the handles. Don't know if I will keep this one or not, it may go back and I will get another spyderco. I will keep it a day or so and see