Spyderco knife in movies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Re: Spyderco knife in movies

Post by Bodog »

I've noticed more spydercos in movies and TV shows than any other knife. What that means exactly I don't know, but it must mean something. What's crazy is that i don't see a Spyderco in every knife carrying person's pocket. Is it the work of the illuminati, tricking us into accepting Golden, CO as the headquarters of the new world order?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Bodog wrote:I've noticed more spydercos in movies and TV shows than any other knife. What that means exactly I don't know, but it must mean something. What's crazy is that i don't see a Spyderco in every knife carrying person's pocket. Is it the work of the illuminati, tricking us into accepting Golden, CO as the headquarters of the new world order?
Probably not. ;)

We have learned over the years that our knives are quite popular with production crews for both television and film. We don't ever pay for product placement, but we certainly do appreciate the support from people who depend upon our products.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

twinboysdad wrote:Point Of No Return was on and in the part where Harvey Keitel tries to kill Brigette Fonda, he whips out some sort of Spyderco. Sort of Delica sized but seemed to have Krayton inserts. To far before my time here to identify
I've seen that movie many times. I'm almost 100% certain that the knife in question did not have any Krayton inserts. But, I'm almost positive it was either an original SS Delica or an SS Standard (both of which were almost identical).
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

twinboysdad wrote:Point Of No Return was on and in the part where Harvey Keitel tries to kill Brigette Fonda, he whips out some sort of Spyderco. Sort of Delica sized but seemed to have Krayton inserts. To far before my time here to identify
Point of No Return.......I think that was the Americanized version of the original French film "La Femme Nikita".

If you liked the US version, if you can stomach sub-titles or understand French, the original was far, far better.

Tom Cruise's "Vanilla Sky" was another movie that Hollywood screwed up - even though it had a huge budget advantage over the original Spanish language original titled "Open Your Eyes" .....Penelope Cruz starred in both of the films which was kind of an interesting outcome.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

ManixFan wrote:
Point of No Return.......I think that was the Americanized version of the original French film "La Femme Nikita".

If you liked the US version, if you can stomach sub-titles or understand French, the original was far, far better.

Tom Cruise's "Vanilla Sky" was another movie that Hollywood screwed up - even though it had a huge budget advantage over the original Spanish language original titled "Open Your Eyes" .....Penelope Cruz starred in both of the films which was kind of an interesting outcome.
You are correct about PONR on both counts sir. It is the Americanized version of "Le Femme Nikita" and it is inferior to the original. I am generally leery of "Americanized" versions of most movies, especially European movies, as they tend to just not be as well made.

My many viewings of PONR were in the late 90s when it was on HBO very often at night, and a large portion of those viewings were simply so I could see the Spydie at the end of the movie. I've had a thing for Spydies since around 1994 even though I didn't get my first one until 2000.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I watched PONR a lot back then too, but mostly because Brigette Fonda!!
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I love the fact that Spyderco doesn't pay for product placement. I strongly dislike when companies do that; it diminishes their dignity.

I find it hard to imagine that there isn't at least one person in any given prop department for film or TV who doesn't know what a Spyderco knife is and can't provide one for an actor if the script calls for it.

Also, yes, in the novel "Hannibal," Lechter goes to a local south Florida gun show and goes to a booth called "Buck's Knives" and purchases a Harpy, specifically. I recall making purchases from Buck himself at his booth at the South Florida Fairgrounds gun shows, right around the time I read the novel. I asked him about whether that was based on him or not, and he seemed to be aware of the reference in the book and acted pretty coy about the whole thing.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Most people on set tend to carry $5 POS knives. But when I run into people who do carry nice knives, they tend to be Spyderco. I always have at least two on me while working, but they don't get screen time because mine are sharp and you don't give sharp knives to actors (for safety). The knives you see on screen are almost always very dull, as not to accidentally injure anyone while shooting.

Maybe I should pick up a dull Spyderco or two to keep in my kit for the occasional moment when a director suddenly calls for a knife that isn't in the script and props doesn't have one (happened once on a web series, and they ended up using my Orange Military with many warnings that it was extremely sharp! :p I don't recall the name of the series.).

One of the big production supply stores used to carry a bunch of SS Spydercos, but they don't carry knives anymore. Usually the ones I see crew using on set are either SS Delicas or SS Enduras. Not many G-10 or FRN versions.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

twinboysdad wrote:I watched PONR a lot back then too, but mostly because Brigette Fonda!!
Yeah, that was always a big plus too...