Does Spyderco make this knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pc87

Does Spyderco make this knife?

Post by pc87 »

Blade length 3 inch or less, compression lock, any flavor of handle material, any steel.

Thanks and Happy New Year fellow spydienuts!
3rdGenRigger

Re: Does Spyderco make this knife?

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Not currently to my knowledge, but the discontinued Salsa sounds like exactly what you're after. They made aluminum handled versions in a few colours, and there's a more rare titanium handled version with an integral compression lock (2.438" blade length).

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That about sums it up, otherwise you can look for a Para 1 which is only about 1/8 inch longer than 3 inches and can easily be shortened down to 3 inches or less like this:

Or if you can't find the Para 1 or prefer the Para 2, the same thing can also be done on the Para 2. If you chose the Para 2, there's quite a variety of steel and handle materials it came in so you can have your pick (as long as you don't mind modifying a sprint run).
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Looks like the Yo2 is as close as it gets in the current lineup. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but is the PM2 the only other one in current production? With the discontinuation of the Junior, I can't think of any others.
pc87

Post by pc87 »

Thanks guys, the yo2 is the only one I could come up with that would work for me but I just cant get used to that blade style. Would really like a Native style with Comp lock or a slightly smaller PM2. I am just trying to justify buying another Spydie if I could find one that meets those specs. I've got several PM2's, endura's, a native and a domino and the Tenacious. I really keep going back to that native but I much prefer knives I can close with one hand expeditiously.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You can still get a Junior probably.
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you can't close a native one handed expeditiously, you need more practice. ;)
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Try to find a Lil' Temperance! That would perfectly fit your description. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. I've asked Sal about the LT2, and he said he's been carrying a prototype, so I'm assuming the new version will be here in the near future. Maybe halfway through 2015, or maybe it'll be in the 2016 catalog, but I hope it's as soon as possible! The LT would be my favorite knife if I could get my hands on one. Good luck! Happy New year!

Matt
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BBS has the Salsa and Junior in stock. I have been eyeing the Salsa.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

3rdGenRigger wrote:Not currently to my knowledge, but the discontinued Salsa sounds like exactly what you're after. They made aluminum handled versions in a few colours, and there's a more rare titanium handled version with an integral compression lock (2.438" blade length).

I don't turn green often but these ti salsas do it to me. You are a lucky man. Sprint run please! :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Blerv wrote:You can still get a Junior probably.
For less than $100 via Sierra Trading Post if you're patient.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from the Yo 2, there's really nothing in current production that fits your specs. There will almost certainly be a compression lock Sage somewhere down the road, but that could be years. For now, it's discontinued models only, of which the the Junior would be the easiest to find at a decent price. The Salsa and even harder to find Centofante Vesuvius would be the other options. There was also the Bram Frank Gunting, but if you find the Yojimbo too odd... :eek:

The other option would be to consider a different lock. There are a lot of excellent 3" and sub-3" midlocks, RIL style framelocks, and Walker style liner locks in Spyderco's lineup, plus the Blackie Collins bolt action lock Sage 3. Sal uses the phrase "all good, just different" when asked to compare Spyderco with other makers, but I think it fits the locks Spyderco offers as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Any of spydercos locks (including the back lock) can be efficiently and quickly operated one handed with just a little practice. Yes, I can close a compression lock faster than a back lock but we are talking like a 1/4 second difference. If you are looking for the most fluid closer though and compression lock is out of the picture then you should definitely check the Sage 3.
pc87

Post by pc87 »

Thanks Gents, I guess my PM2's will continue to see daily use and it is a wicked "get off of me" blade if need be.

I still would love a native 5 with the comp lock though, Sal, please.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will echo Lance. Give the Sage3 a look. It is smooth as glass and a super easy flicker, both open and closed. It is kind of like the Native.

Other than that, hunt down a Para1.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Listen to Matt. Keep an eye out for the LT2!
pc87

Post by pc87 »

Will definitely keep an eye out for the LT2. thanks
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:Any of spydercos locks (including the back lock) can be efficiently and quickly operated one handed with just a little practice. Yes, I can close a compression lock faster than a back lock but we are talking like a 1/4 second difference. If you are looking for the most fluid closer though and compression lock is out of the picture then you should definitely check the Sage 3.
I'm with Lance on this as well...definitely check out the Sage 3.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden