Pacific Salt saved me yesterday...for real. (Thank you Sal and company)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Pacific Salt saved me yesterday...for real. (Thank you Sal and company)

Post by Surfingringo »

Was fishing on the outer reef yesterday about a mile from shore. The way that reef is set up, it's just a small reef head the size of a big car that's anywhere from 10 to 1 feet deep, depending on the tide. Yesterday was low tide and we have medium sized swell here now so that means that a wave breaks onto the reef. The waves were probably only head high yesterday but it would still suck to go over the falls onto that dry reef. It's usually not an issue because the surrounding water is all deep and the waves only break right on the reef. So...as long as you aren't being dumb or not paying attention, you should be fine. Yesterday I did the former. :)

I was trolling near the reef and got too near so my $20 yo-zuri got hung up. I use 50 pound braid so I could have just broken off but who wants to lose a $20 lure?? The bigger waves were only coming every few minutes so I figured I could jet in and get on top of my lure and free it. (You see where this is going don't you?) So of course I got close and managed to get my own line wrapped around the kayak, which shouldn't be a huge deal. Worst case scenario you can pedal my kayak hard enough to easily snap the line in an emergency. Problem was the line snagged on my rudder! This particular rudder moves up and down for storage and the line was hung on it and pulling it out of the water. Well on these pedal kayaks, without a rudder u just go in circles, especially when you are anchored to the reef with 50 lb test.

I knew immediately I was in a bad situation but I still had a few lingering thoughts to try to save my lure. Luckily, sanity hit me within a few seconds of floundering in circles and I realized that if I didn't get out of there really soon, an overhead wave was going to slam me onto dry reef a mile out to sea. Not a life and death scenario, but one to be avoided whenever possible! :) And to add to the drama, at that point I saw the next set wave pushing towards me and I realized I only had seconds. So once reality hit me so did the adrenaline. I grabbed the Pacific salt in my waistband and opened it with my right hand (my rod was still in my left and I was trying to hold onto that) and opened it quickly. I reached behind me in an awkward position and managed to touch the edge against that 50lb braid and it parted instantly. I pedaled as fast as I could and just scraped over the oncoming wave before it broke on the reef head. Safe! :)

The point of this story is how well my tool worked when it was important. Spend enough time out there and this kind of thing can (and will) happen on the water and it is literally a SHTF scenario that can end poorly. If I didn't have the knife conveniently clipped to my waist I would have been in trouble. If I didn't have a knife with a large functional spyderhole that opened quickly and flawlessly I would have been in trouble. If I didn't have a knife with razor sharp teeth/edge, I would have been in trouble. But thanks to Sal Glesser and Spyderco I had all of those things and I managed to evade trouble one more time! So thank you Sal and everyone at Spyderco for building tools that WORK when you need them! :)

Ok, it's almost daylight and I'm heading back to that reef for my revenge. I will update this thread with a picture of whatever I bring back from the rematch. ;) Keep em sharp boys, you never know when it's gonna matter!
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Good outcome there. Reefs are nothing to mess with. The Pacific Salt would be my choice if I were out in that stuff again.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lance,

Glad you're ok.

The Salt should be put in a frame next to the pics for future generations to learn from (not to be careless and have a good Spyderco always!)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome story! thanks for sharing, glad you are okay
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Glad you were prepared and knew what to do.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! Glad you are ok!! Good story too.. Be safe!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Good to hear you're safe, so you can tell many more Spyderco stories. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Apparently I don't learn quickly. Went to the same reef and got another lure hung up on the exact same spot! Haha. I was more cautious this time so no drama. :) . Anyway, as promised, here's some of today's haul. The best part of today's catch were those eggs up front!

They look slightly better when cooked. Absolute delicacy!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for sharing your story Lance. Glad you're ok and our tool helped.

sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The fried roe looks yummy. Hope you'll steer clear of the reef in the future. I'll bet "yo' mama" would think you're worth more than a "yo-zuri" ;) I know all of us forumites do. We'd really miss our occasional dose of Caribbean color -- or do you actually use your Pacific Salt on the Pacific side of Costa Rica? In any case there'd be a big gap here with you gone :eek:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Huh, never heard of cooking the eggs.. How would you describe the flavor and texture?
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Huh, never heard of cooking the eggs.. How would you describe the flavor and texture?
Mmm...I dunno, the texture is something like quinoa if you are familiar with that. The flavor is just delicious. Very rich. I fry mine in olive oil and Tony's Cajun seasoning.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Glad you're OK Lance and as always, thanks for the great pictures and story!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Glad to hear that you're ok! :)

Two "Pacific Salt to the rescue" stories in one day! Wow--nice to know that people can use their Spyders to help others and get themselves out of trouble.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that your stories Lance are the ones I share from the forum with my wife the most! Glad to hear you're alive and well, we're all very re"reef"ed! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That looks like revenge well taken!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Sully

Post by Sully »

Always a good read, Lance. Glad this fisherman's tale had a happy ending.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great story Lance. It is comforting to know when you needed it, you had a tool that was perfectly suited to the need at hand.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ned

Post by Ned »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that your stories Lance are the ones I share from the forum with my wife the most! Glad to hear you're alive and well, we're all very re"reef"ed! Cheers, Radioactive :)
I was just reading this narative to my wife, we were both on the edge of our seats, glad you made it through without catastrophe!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
JD Spydo

The Case For Older Models In H-1 Is Valid

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm telling you this great testimony just makes me want to see more and more models in the H-1 Salt Series. Which is why I beat the drum so loudly to consider bringing older models back by converting them into the H-1 Salt series rather than the mainline part of the catalog.

I'm now more determined than ever to see models like the C-60 Ayoob model be considered for H-1 Salt Series in PE & SE both. And I think this also warrants more top notch fixed blades to be made in H-1. I still think that a great reliable fixed blade like my original Temperance 1 model would be superb for situations like the one the Brother just described.

As good as these models were with the more conventional blade steels I would now more than ever like to see how they would do in H-1.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!