Mighty Wallet?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Mighty Wallet?

Post by Evil D »

Anyone seen or heard about these? Made of Tyvek, which is the material used to make express mail envelopes. It's a tough, tear resistant paper like material made of plastic fibers. You can print and write on it, so they can print custom images on a wallet for you. The cool thing aside from being tough is they aren't sewn together, so they literally expand in size to accommodate how much stuff you put in them. They have a bunch of designs for $15 or you can design your own with a picture of your choice for $25 (plus $1 if you want your name printed inside as designed by you). This would be a cool way to get yourself a knife/Spyderco related wallet if you'd like one (I don't believe this violate copyright as long as you aren't selling it or making profit off it). I'm using a pic of the skull/roses painting in my avatar that I did a few years back.

Here's a video showing how much stuff you can cram into one
[video=youtube;ntGFTiEgfYI]https://youtu.be/ntGFTiEgfYI[/video]

You can even order the same one if you like the design.
https://www.dynomighty.com/custom/MjQ4Njk=
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ned

Post by Ned »

Cool wallet, I've been looking at all of the interesting new wallet designs popping up lately. I actually have a few wallet ideas myself, one is a hinged titanium design that I would really like to prototype. Interesting... :cool:
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
JD Spydo

Victorinox: Makes a Great Wallet too

Post by JD Spydo »

Speaking of wallets it's been almost 8 years ago I got a wallet made by Victorinox. I still carry it and it's still in good usable condition. Victorinox sure makes great accessories like wallets, fanny packs, back packs and a lot of other stuff as well.

This new wallet you're talking about sure looks interesting and appealing. I sure would like to check it out further. A lot of guys don't think about it much and it's not an item you hear talked about much but a really good quality wallet is hard to find. Most of the ones at Rip-Mart and other places are truly nothing but junky garbage that wouldnt even last you a year.

The people that are marketing this new wallet you are talking about will probably have a lot of buyers no doubt.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You said it's not sewn. Are the seams glued, the way those on a Tyvek envelope are? Given how much can be stuffed in it, I can't imagine it just being folded like a piece of origami. If the seams are glued, how long would you expect it to last?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LC Kid

A paper 'Constanza Wallet'

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

As a novelty it might pass some weird test.
ImageI've never been a 'Constanza Wallet' guy myself, so it's not even possible for me to imagine why somebody would want to carry that huge ton of stuff in a pocket. :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:You said it's not sewn. Are the seams glued, the way those on a Tyvek envelope are? Given how much can be stuffed in it, I can't imagine it just being folded like a piece of origami. If the seams are glued, how long would you expect it to last?
EDIT:
Apparently there are 2 glued points on the ends, but those are "low stress points"....we'll see. I carry my wallet everyday so I'll let ya know how it goes.

Nope, not glued or stitched, it literally is just folded into place. The folds that are tucked are quite long so they don't just slip out. Apparently these have been around for almost 10 years now with a pretty solid following. I don't expect it to last as long as my leather Harley wallet, but being thinner, lighter, and potentially holding cash and cards better/thinner than the leather one make it appealing. In the end I can always go back to the Harley wallet if this one doesn't last long.

I did find a 1 year review, and you can see it definitely gets roughed up quite a bit. I also have a coworker who carries one daily and got hers for Christmas, so in ~6 months the print on hers has faded some from wear but otherwise it's holding up like new. I would expect the more you cram into one, the more wear it'll be put through. For me, being thinner and lighter are very enticing, I've grown tired of wallet-butt.

[video=youtube;YWj5HyWuHy4]https://youtu.be/YWj5HyWuHy4[/video]
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've been carrying one of these wallets for 3 months now. Here's a pic of when it was new.

Here are a couple of shots of it now.

The biggest advantage of this wallet is that it is thin. It is also very unique, but IMHO that is about it as for as the pros go.

Now the cons.
You can see in the pics that there are some wear spots that are worn almost all the way through one layer of Tyvek. The wallet is also very slick. I have been worried that it will slide out of my pocket while seated, but that hasn't actually happened. I can't believe that the guy in the review video put cards in the outer pockets, because I wouldn't trust those things to stay in there. The slick nature of the Tyvek has also caused the folds to start to slide apart on several occasions. There is plenty of room inside the wallet, but it doesn't provide a lot of options for organizing. There is just two large cash pockets and two smaller pockets for your license and cards that you can see in the last pic. Those cards can easily slide out if your not paying attention, as they have on me few times.

Is the wallet worth the $15 that I spent on it? Yes, I do think it's worth the money.

Will I be buying another one to replace this one when it finally does fall apart? No. I just don't trust it to be secure in my pocket or secure in holding my cash and cards.

edit: I was wrong when I said that it hasn't slipped out of my pocket. I now remember that it did come out one time when I was on my riding mower. I thought that I would need to spend hours looking for it, but luckily it must have stayed on the seat until I was done mowing. I found it right beside where I had parked the mower.
timlara

Post by timlara »

For a "Costanza Wallet", this is my favorite that I've found/owned:

http://www.sfbags.com/collections/walle ... inn-wallet

I am trying to downsize though, so I just recently got this one. The nice thing about it is that it fits easily into a front pocket for added security when I'm in a crowd, like at a concert or festival or whatever. It doesn't seem like the sturdiest thing ever, but for the price, if I get a year out of it I'll be pretty happy:

https://www.chums.com/category/wallets/ ... surfshorts

I'm big into zippered wallets (aka tiny man-purses) because I like to carry things like little 2-factor authentication fobs or SD cards and I can rest assured they won't get lost.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I have a carbon fiber bifold ID wallet by raggededge. I've had it for about 2 years, and it's still like new. Supposedly, it's dishwasher safe, but I don't think I'll ever test that.

http://www.raggededgeproducts.com/index ... allet.html
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
timlara

Post by timlara »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I have a carbon fiber bifold ID wallet by raggededge. I've had it for about 2 years, and it's still like new. Supposedly, it's dishwasher safe, but I don't think I'll ever test that.

http://www.raggededgeproducts.com/index ... allet.html
That does look pretty cool. Thanks for the link!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've carried a Mighty Wallet for about three years now and it's still going strong with minimal signs of wear. As David mentioned, there are no glued or stitched areas--it is just simply folded. I bought this wallet because it is so incredibly thin and doesn't hurt my sciatic nerve when I sit down. :) I like the idea of a custom Mighty Wallet. Might have to think about designing my own... ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got to check out my coworker's wallet today, she said she's had it over a year now. It has held up quite well IMO. She had about 5 cards in it and 10 or so bills and said that's about the most it ever carries. Could just be that gals are easier on their stuff than us knuckle dragger guys but if mine looks that good after a year of EDC I'll be happy.
~David
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Check out Countycomm LA wallet. It comes in leather and vinyl and is ridiculously thin. Its cheap as well. It was designed by a cop.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I use a couple of Spec-ops wallets. USA made and hard to get in the UK but really very good. I use the larger version that takes my passport on my motorcycle trips in continental Europe, and a smaller one day-to-day.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Interesting design. Not something I'm interested in, though.

I do like that CF wallet though. (Edit - and it comes in toxic green!)
Evil D wrote:EDIT:
I've grown tired of wallet-butt.
That's exactly why my Saddleback wallet rides LFP.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:Interesting design. Not something I'm interested in, though.

I do like that CF wallet though. (Edit - and it comes in toxic green!)

That's exactly why my Saddleback wallet rides LFP.

Ken
Front pockets are already taken by my phone and my knife, otherwise I may consider it. At this point in life I'm pretty sure my right butt cheek is permanently deformed with a big wallet shaped dent in it lol.
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:Front pockets are already taken by my phone and my knife, otherwise I may consider it.
For me, knife RFP, wallet LFP, keys RRP. I leave the cell phone in the car.
Evil D wrote:At this point in life I'm pretty sure my right butt cheek is permanently deformed with a big wallet shaped dent in it lol.
Heavy dead lifts will pop that sucker right back out! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Nate

Post by Nate »

Very interesting concept. A ditched my wallet about ten years ago, but I might pick up a couple of things from them just to check out.

Here is my current set up. The card clip is from the back of a picture frame. It holds 4 cards perfectly. I usually have my DL, work badge, a credit card, and my debit card. (I stuck the ESEE card in there for the pic so you savages don't steal my identity, lol) The money clip is nothing special, but it gets the job done. LFP holds the phone, everything else goes in the RFP, my bum is thankful ;)

The coin was a lucky find. I used to just have a penny there, but a few years ago I was tilling my garden and turned up an old 90% silver dime.

Anyway, no Costanza wallet for me :) To be fair though, I also have a backpack that goes pretty much anywhere I do. I have a Maxped EDC Organizer in there with a lot of traditional wallet type stuff in it.
:spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I read up a bit more on those Ragged Edge wallets and thought is should give one a try. Initial impressions - this thing IS thin and light. It looks to be well made. I'd read it was shiny but I wasn't prepared for just how shiny.

I have to say upfront

1. I'm a wallet abuser. I want to be a minimalist kind of guy, but I'm not. I put EVERYTHING in my wallet. Over the years that has included fuses, flashlights, coins, knives... As well as the usual cards, cash & IDs. Recently I have pared things down to the latter (plus coupons) It's still quite a bit.

2. I LOVE my Saddleback wallet. The quality of all their products is outstanding. Among the best I've found in any category. They guarantee their stuff for 100 years. I don't ever expect to make a warrantee claim.

I wanted this comparison to be a true head to head. Normally I'll take the opportunity of switching wallets to get rid of things I've been carrying but that's not a fair comparison to say "Look, I got rid of half the junk and this new wallet is thinner and lighter" so I moved EVERYTHING from the Saddleback into the Ragged Edge, and it IS lighter, by 33 g. (Almost 20%)

But, with all that stuff in there, the Ragged Edge won't close! It's stuffed like a sausage ;) The Saddleback handled everything easily and has, at times, held much more than it has at the moment.

So to get a rough thickness comparison, I removed some things until I could get it to close then compared thickness holding the removed items outside. I'm not sure how legit that is, but it's the best I could come up with. Doing that, the Ragged Edge was 1/4" thinner than the Saddleback. 1.25" versus 1.5".

So, yes, in the end, it's slightly thinner and lighter. In a truly minimalist carry that would be significant but with all the junk in mine it starts to become irrelevant.

I'll carry this thing for a few days and get a sense of it's functionality. In the end I suspect I'll go back to the Saddleback but we'll see. I do think it would be an excellent choice for someone who carries, say, 1 ID, 3 cards and 10 $ bills.

Ken
玉鋼
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Ragged Edge is great stuff!!!....I carry the card sleeve - it's in my pocket right now. I've had it for a over a year and it's taken some pretty good abuse and holds up really well. It holds my licensee and 2 or 3 cards. Very minimal, just how I like it, I can't tell it's in my pocket.

AND, they happen to be good friends of mine, their shop is not too far away from where I live.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug