New Spyderco/Kahr Arms Delica4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3Speedyfish3

New Spyderco/Kahr Arms Delica4

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

[ATTACH]23120[/ATTACH]

Does anyone else see a resemblance between the new Kahr Arms Delica4 and Michael Janich's custom reverse Wharncliffe Endura?

[ATTACH]23121[/ATTACH]

Looks like a May delivery date, according to Kahr's website.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey speedy,
Did ya have to go and post the pic of this new offering? ;)
Now I'll have to have one of those to pair up with my K40.
Looks pretty cool to me!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

I know, Don. My PM9 is whining that it wants a new playmate!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Yeah it looks like a miniaturized clone. The Ammoland article says it was designed by him, so it's not surprising.

That price, though ^_^

edit: Just noticed the description says it's stonewashed. Has there been a stonewashed knife out of Seki City before this one?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So is this something they grinded themselves? Or is it a collaboration with Spyderco?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

A Worchester, MA legal Delica, I guess?

I carry a PM9 just about every day, so I guess it'll have a new companion...
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

It's a collaboration between Spyderco and Kahr Arms, with Michael Janich's influence on the design.

sal
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

Thank you, Mr. Glesser!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That's pretty nice! I had been secretly wishing for a Spyderco/Kahr collab ever since I saw the Buck/Kahr collab. This would go very nicely with my Kahr .9mm. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I must get one of these to pair with my CW45. Sal, did they approach you or Micheal about the colab? Thanks to Spyderco and Kahr!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

That is an interesting looking knife. Aside from the warncliffe-ish spine, the blade shape reminds me of the current Manix 2.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Will these be stocked by the usual Spyderco dealers? Where can I get one, and how much?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for your interest in the Kahr Delica4. Kahr's Northeast Division Sales Manager, Marc Galli, is a long-time friend of mine and devoted student of Martial Blade Concepts. He and Kahr have generously sponsored my annual Martial Blade Camp event for several years and I have great respect for the Kahr company and its people. A while back, Marc and I discussed Kahr's position in the industry as the leader in ultra-compact semiauto pistols and he asked me which Spyderco knife would be an analogous product. I showed him one of the custom Delica4s I had ground for another veteran MBC student who works in a federal building in Washington, D.C. Per federal guidelines, he was only allowed a 2.5-inch blade. Unfortunately, most 2.5-inch blades have comparably sized handles, making them short and hard to use for defensive purposes. Since the Delica4 is one of my favorite knives and has a matching trainer, it was the logical choice for a "snubby" version.

I had also been grinding bobbed Delica4s for other students who lived in Chicago and Boston. Since Kahr's production facilities are in Worcester, MA, the idea of a Boston-legal knife made sense to Marc and the other folks at Kahr. He drove the project and received outstanding input from Kahr's founder Justin Moon, who specifically requested "urban camouflage" handle colors that would blend with black, khaki, and denim pants. The stonewashed finish completes the "gray man" concept and will make these knives exceptionally discreet.

From a personal standpoint, I'm thrilled to have played a part in bringing two great companies together on this project and I'm honored that Marc and Kahr saw value in this unique expression of the Delica4.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Thanks for the backstory Mike! VERY Interesting! Without this, I would have wondered and others would have speculated the matter to death, and maybe not been close to this interesting story.

David in NC (Forum Newbie!)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

MatthewSB wrote:Will these be stocked by the usual Spyderco dealers? Where can I get one, and how much?
Kahr has them on their site for $99. For pre-order. It says they should be available in May.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mr. Janich, can you comment on how these were modified? Are they each personally hand ground and lapped just like the SSM Enduras?
bchan

Post by bchan »

Michael, can you share with us the reasoning behind the blade shape? Thanks.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

So do these come from the Spyderco factory this way, or are they reground by someone else?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Able Dog and David from NC,

Welcme to our forum.

They are built as production pieces in the Seki plant. We'll ship them to Kahr. Kahr will distribute them.

sal
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

sal wrote:They are built as production pieces in the Seki plant. We'll ship them to Kahr. Kahr will distribute them.
Then I'll buy one.

Thanks!