New to Syderco Looking For First Purchases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Holland wrote:the Taiwan models have superior f&f than the golden models
I wouldn't go that far. In the last few years most of my new Spydercos were Golden made models. F&F were top notch this includes: various Natives, Paras, Military, M2 LW and YO2. The same goes with knives made for Spydero by Fox in Italy. I cannot say that any of them were not on the same level as Taichung.
Did you have any issues with your Golden models?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Taiwan having superior fit and finish from my experience with them is not a knock on Golden.. It's not saying that Golden has bad F&F at all, they are very well made also. I've owned a good bit of the Taiwan models... Techno, Southard, Sages, GB, Domino etc. and in my humble opinion is overall above what I see from other brands' production knives also. Just to add to my point, I once seen seven Southards in my local shop and all were exactly the same. Same lock-up, centering, etc. consistency is a big part of F&F.

Take my comment for what it is but I'm impartial, just calling it how I see it. It would be easier for some people to see this if those Taiwan models were stamped as Golden......... A spade is a spade, Taiwan has a newer facility with better equipment (for the time being)Sal has said. Yes, I'm all for bringing jobs back to the US etc etc but I'm not going to convince myself away from what I see.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ok, maybe superior is too strong of a word for some people... Like it suggests that it's miles ahead which it isn't. Comparisons are natural and while both are made very well, there are differences between facilities on opposite sides of the globe.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Just another Spyderholic who can say, without a doubt, you're missing out if you eliminate the Taiwan Spydies. They are simply awesome. Smooth. Rock-solid. My most recent acquisition is the Taiwan-made Domino. It might just be the "perfect Spyderco."
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

this_is_nascar wrote:Tell me more about your Chapperral. It's next on my short list to get.
I have both the Chapparal 1 and 2 and as far as gentleman's folders they are great! If you have any Sages, think about the Chapparal as a mini Sage! Thinner blade stock, fantastic slicer. The titanium Chapparal 2 is beautiful, but so is the carbon fiber Sage1! You can't go wrong with either one! :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi, welcome to the forum. IMHO, you will do yourself a great disservice by not buying various Spyderco models that pique your interest solely because of their country of origin. Be they US-made, Japan-made, Italy-made, Taiwan-made or whatever, when you buy something with their logo, you buy top quality for a great price point. The only ones I really don't go for are the value folders since they just don't appeal to me with so many better options out there. Cheers! Paul :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

eric m. wrote:I have both the Chapparal 1 and 2 and as far as gentleman's folders they are great! If you have any Sages, think about the Chapparal as a mini Sage! Thinner blade stock, fantastic slicer. The titanium Chapparal 2 is beautiful, but so is the carbon fiber Sage1! You can't go wrong with either one! :)
Thanks for the reply.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome collector :) If you like knives and enjoy sharp you have come to the right place :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]