Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It has to be ZDP189. Please be ZDP189. Let's treat this coveted model like the Ferrari of the stable with all the bells and whistles. What's under the (cobra) hood? The "best" steel Japan makes.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

How does Ti hold up to being a compression lock, if it's softer than steel?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
bh49

Post by bh49 »

NoFair wrote:More carbon (don't remember the rest, I have a gyuto in it). In kitchen knives it is usually taken a point or 2 harder than VG10
This is nice. Thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Pockets wrote:How does Ti hold up to being a compression lock, if it's softer than steel?
Ti-compression and frame locks are quite tough. As I understand they are softer than hardened blade steel hence they tend to wear over time. Still, Chris Reeves and many others don't use SS inserts so I guess it's a matter of how many cycles one will put the knife through.

Probably not the best specimen to compare, my Sage2 has been carried quite a bit and is nowhere near concerning. Others can comment :) .
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

demoncase wrote:Me. ;)

Exactly as pictured- the plain edge/ TiNi(?) coated version.

Handles very nicely- good weighty nice with a great balance- slick opening as well.
The blade shape is superb for serious heavy work- the point pierces thick materials with ease, especially with the cobrahood adding thumb pressure.

I too would like some nice grippy G10 over the top of the metal handle for long work day usage use...Also the pocket clip design is better with MOLLE webbing loops than it is in the pocket of my jeans (go figure considering the original design brief!)
I know you said its the same but care to share a pic of your ATR?

ZDP-189 scare me in terms of price. I still would prefer VG10.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The ATR has a resemblance to an older knife called the impala, albeit with no guthook. Beautiful knives both of them! I think the prices of exotic handles and blade steels is driving prices out of range of the vast majority of would-be customers! Good old VG10 and G10 keep price points low so that the majority of people who want a particular style knife can have one; not the select few who have handfuls of cash they don't know what to do with! If anyone hasn't noticed, the economy is sinking and mor people don't have alot of cash to play with! Keep things less expensive, sell more knives, create more jobs, and make more people happy! :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have a tie tack/pin miniature ATR and would like a real one someday.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Here is a crazy idea for the first high-end Salt folder:

H1, Titanium lock side, unlined G10 non-lock side.

It would certainly be unique. A long shot I know...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

FCM415 wrote:It has to be ZDP189. Please be ZDP189. Let's treat this coveted model like the Ferrari of the stable with all the bells and whistles. What's under the (cobra) hood? The "best" steel Japan makes.

Agree 100% fcm ... This is how you do it.. :) )
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Brock O Lee wrote:Here is a crazy idea for the first high-end Salt folder:

H1, Titanium lock side, unlined G10 non-lock side.

It would certainly be unique. A long shot I know...
I like this idea!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey, bronze won't rust either ;) .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:Hey, bronze won't rust either ;) .
Maybe we can get a bronze spydie insert for the G-10 side of the handle? Wow... I just started to drool.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DesertDweller

Post by DesertDweller »

I've got to throw my support into this as well. I'm all over this guy...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Only if the H1 is SE... :)
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

xceptnl wrote:Maybe we can get a bronze spydie insert for the G-10 side of the handle? Wow... I just started to drool.
I'm all for that :D .
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

You guys sure are getting creative on this lol. That would sure make for an exotic knife. It would fit right in in the new 2014 product guide, that's for sure. Some very creative designs coming in 2014.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I know you said its the same but care to share a pic of your ATR?
But of course, good sir!
First picture against a pale back ground with the flash on shows the 'rainbow bloom' from the PVD coating of TiNi inside the handle.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That looks awesome. You should submit some more to the spydies and guns picture thread.
So what is that exactly on the end if your beretta? For balance?

@liquid_cobra
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That looks awesome. You should submit some more to the spydies and guns picture thread.
So what is that exactly on the end if your beretta? For balance?
Thanks- I may well do.

It's an Algimec compensator- with ports at the top for recoil reduction: as per Jean Reno's pistols in Leon. ;)
Sadly it's an airsoft pistol- such is the UK government's draconian firearms law.
It's a full metal reproduction made by WE/Socom Gear- it's quite fun with the CO2 mag, but not a patch on the real thing.
They've also changed the slide markings to say 'THE HITMAN' and "NO WOMEN NO KIDS".....Bless. :rolleyes:
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I'd be down for one
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!