Using Spydies In Restaurants

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydesense

Using Spydies In Restaurants

Post by Spydesense »

I pulled out my Fluited Ti Millie while eating pork tenderloin today at a local diner. Anyone else use their knives eating in public?
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

All the time. Yesterday it was my Nilakka at a steakhouse. That almost zero grind blade made an awesome steak knife!
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I've used my s110v Native to eat some chicken in public before :)
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Never.... that seems excessive for me. I rather use the steak knives they supply!

Lots of respect for you guys not caring if someone sees you eat with a pocket knife in public! I would be embarrassed myself!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Its those darn ceramic plates :) .
Holland

Post by Holland »

kudos to you guys, but i find that pretty tacky and embarrassing personally haha :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I frequently choose the knife I carry based on my dinner cutlerytur needs. Recently I was using the BG42/CF Military to enjoy some surf and turf. Another member of the party I was with peeked curiously down the table and remarked.... "that's not the steak knife they gave you is it?" The whole table chuckled because they know me. When the waitress returned to clear our plates I had to deflect her hand to prevent her grabbing at the rim of the plate and cutting herself. I had the edge inward toward the plate, but didn't feel paying a hospital visit was a good tip. She had the wide eyes for a second, but around here that knife is not considered "big", just a normal knife.

Because of the ceramic and steel plates, I do prefer carbon steels where the edge is likely to roll vs. chip however many proteins are served over rice or other veggies and they tend to act as a buffer to protect the edge.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

xceptnl wrote:She had the wide eyes for a second, but around here that knife is not considered "big", just a normal knife.
Out of interest, what would be considered a large knife in your part of the world?

During my recent national service exercise my Manix 2 LW was termed 'huge' by at least one person :D
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Invective

Post by Invective »

Blerv wrote:Its those darn ceramic plates :) .
This is what keeps me using the knives provided. I've never gotten any steak knives that couldn't cut it (hehe) either, they are always able to get my food into bite sized chunks. The only times I've ever thought about it was at a Japanese restaurant. Can't use chopsticks to cut anything harder than dumplings so I thought about using my SB Caly3.5 to manage my steak but in the end just bit through it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Think it's been two years or more since I did, simply because it's been that long since I ate out. Back in NY, I used my Spydercos quite often when I was working and a bunch of us we'd go out for lunch. Did it a few times after I retired too, when I got together with the gang from work. Last time I can recall doing it. or eating out, was the weekend I moved down here.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'll only use them on paper or plastic plates, so only at picnics and barbecues. Ceramics sharpen knives, so why would you cut on them?
- best wishes, Jazz.
9blades

Post by 9blades »

All the time, I recommend standing up, assuming the classic Conan the barbarian stance, and yelling "by Odin's beard this steak doth not stand a chance against my blade!!". After two or three times the staff won't freak out and call the cops anymore. ;)

Really though, I do alsmot whenever I go out. in regards to the ceramic plates, I just cut through 90% and finish with my fork. :)
Invective

Post by Invective »

Jazz wrote:I'll only use them on paper or plastic plates, so only at picnics and barbecues. Ceramics sharpen knives, so why would you cut on them?
I've got the solution. Just tilt our plates so it is at about a 15 or 20 degree angle and then cut the food! The food will get cut and after we go through, we can hone our knives as well!! It's perfect :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

'zacly. ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Invective wrote:I've got the solution. Just tilt our plates so it is at about a 15 or 20 degree angle and then cut the food! The food will get cut and after we go through, we can hone our knives as well!! It's perfect :D
Haha :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Maybe you could modify a miter box so that you position 2 plates each at a 40 degree angle so you could do a little touch up right there in the restaurant.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Jazz wrote:I'll only use them on paper or plastic plates, so only at picnics and barbecues. Ceramics sharpen knives, so why would you cut on them?
I smell what your cookin, but I just go through the meat and barely touch the plate. Plus, I enjoy touching up my knives when they no longer pop hair. :)
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Senate

Post by Senate »

sure happens a lot!
i even took a pic once :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Senate wrote:sure happens a lot!
i even took a pic once :)
**** that looks good! Barely room for the plate due to the empty glasses though...lol :eek:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Invective wrote:I've got the solution. Just tilt our plates so it is at about a 15 or 20 degree angle and then cut the food! The food will get cut and after we go through, we can hone our knives as well!! It's perfect :D
DRKBC wrote:Maybe you could modify a miter box so that you position 2 plates each at a 40 degree angle so you could do a little touch up right there in the restaurant.
That's awesome, guys. I never thought of that. :D
- best wishes, Jazz.