Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

KBar666 wrote:I like the 2 best I think, but the 3 isn't bad.

Also I don't care bout super steels and what not. S30v is just fine, D2 would be cool. Ultimately I just want a good steel. But it dosn;t have to be the latest flavor. I don't care. Also there is no need to make it more expensive than it needs to be.
Agreed. The II is far more appealing to me than the III, although I would prefer to keep things as true as possible to the original #1 model if there's a Sprint. There's just something about the extra steel along the spine on the first variation that I that find very attractive. Also, the hollow grind is simply fantastic on this design. (The FFG just seems out of place for some reason... It's kind of like putting 4 lb test line on a muskie pole, IMHO :eek :) . S30V sounds reasonable for the blade, but I wouldn't be opposed to M4 or Elmax either.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:As I understand, Eric is working on a new Chinook, probably with a caged ball lock. Any suggetions would be appreicated at this stage of development.

sal
Very glad to hear that. :) Would the new variation feature a hollow grind?

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

sal wrote:As I understand, Eric is working on a new Chinook, probably with a caged ball lock. Any suggetions would be appreicated at this stage of development.

sal
Well I'd probably get it either way but I'd personally request something other than the caged ball lock. I've had bad experiences with them and find them easy to disengage.

Personally I'd be much happier if it came with bout anything else, from the compression lock, to liner locks, the back lock like it always had, or frame lock. I personally like all those options better than the ball locks. But that's just me, I know a lot of people like them. But I got cut plenty of times from my Manix 2 XL enough to trade it off.

Again this is just me. I'm aware I will probably be way out voted here.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:So why not just watch the various exchanges? A 3 occasionally comes up for sale.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I get that too but all I'm saying is that if anybody just wants a regular chinook 2 or 3, then they can snag one by watching the exchanges for not a lot more than what they were going for when they were in production. :)

A sprint, IMHO, should have something to set it apart from the regular ones. And I don't mean just scale color. :)
SpyderNut wrote:Agreed. The II is far more appealing to me than the III, although I would prefer to keep things as true as possible to the original #1 model if there's a Sprint. There's just something about the extra steel along the spine on the first variation that I that find very attractive. Also, the hollow grind is simply fantastic on this design. (The FFG just seems out of place for some reason... It's kind of like putting 4 lb test line on a muskie pole, IMHO :eek :) . S30V sounds reasonable for the blade, but I wouldn't be opposed to M4 or Elmax either.
Also see what I'm saying relates to it being more of a standard model again. at least fro awhile. I was not talking bout a sprint. I don't want it to collect. I want it to actually carry.

Now personally if it has one of the newer steels, cool. Not against it. Just not really for it either. What I was trying to say is, it wouldn't matter to me as long as its a good steel.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Since the Chinook line was developed for MBC I really see no need for a super steel personally. As far as I'm concerned fighting knives don't need too much edge retention. I'd be overjoyed if the knife was kept S30v, if only to keep the cost down. I can't afford a +$200 Spydie very often, like once a year if that, and lately everything I want seems to fall in that price range.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I actually tend to agree with you on the ball lock, KBar666. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the ball lock. But on something as stout as the Chinook, I think I'd reallly rather see a frame lock similar to the Lionspy's--especially if it had the RotoLock.

Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Hi Sal the hollow ground works much better on a design like this IMO in practicality as well as aesthetics .
FFG is great for slicing where you have the length but on a trail point with no real straight blade its a bit redundant .
(Here's me giving you advice lol) but that's my requests I'd ditch the ball lock for a liner , but wouldn't rule out a back lock either .
Your the company that changed my mind on back locks so hat tipped , scales I think the black is sort of a given but would like to see another colour , although it'd have to be dark .
British racing green G10 would suit.
Steel , Vg 10 , s30v or I recall a recent Elmax sourcing post iirc that's be great but may ^ the $ ATB .
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I would like to see one out of the Taichung Taiwan factory with the same construction as the Tuff. I would buy two of those as fast as I could just like I did with the Tuff. I have a line on a Chinook 1 in lightly used condition but they have not replied to my questions yet, I doubt I will be buying it so here is the link to the seller if anyone is interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231041101411?ss ... 1423.l2648
It is the first edition in 440V.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Just looked at that exact model about a half hour ago, Per-Sev. :) I had wondered if anyone had seen it.

gnlw

Post by gnlw »

Thanks for the input Sal! I'm glad to hear it's in the works. Like some of the others, I'd also like to see a lock other that the ball lock. For this type of knife I'd like to see a stout compression lock, and if not, a sturdy back lock with a strong detent.
Invective

Post by Invective »

sal
Well, if it were me designing it, I would like to see a hollow grind on it. The swedge on the I as well looks great and definitely improves the looks, more than the lack of it on the II. The CBBL would work great on this as well! I'd also love to see this with a newer steel, CTS-XHP would be great for a new production run, although if it is just a sprint then I think something a bit tougher and more wear resistant would be ideal. Perhaps waiting to see how well the new CPM CruWear turns out in the Millies and then decide from there? I'd be in for at least two if that were to happen!
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Rwb1500 wrote:Since the Chinook line was developed for MBC I really see no need for a super steel personally. As far as I'm concerned fighting knives don't need too much edge retention. I'd be overjoyed if the knife was kept S30v, if only to keep the cost down. I can't afford a +$200 Spydie very often, like once a year if that, and lately everything I want seems to fall in that price range.
YES this! is exactly what I mean

I'd like to keep the Hollow grind.

The swedge would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

And ok as far as locks go...my top two choices would be a stout liner lock...followed by the compression lock.

Next is The backlock they've had all along or Frame lock.

And dead last is the CBBL...I actually really don't like that lock too much. And find that they can come undone much easier when actually in combatant type use as its made more.

There you have my opinions. Take them or leave them. Just my thoughts.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Full flat grind please
TomH

Post by TomH »

KBar666 wrote:YES this! is exactly what I mean

I'd like to keep the Hollow grind.

The swedge would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

And ok as far as locks go...my top two choices would be a stout liner lock...followed by the compression lock.

Next is The backlock they've had all along or Frame lock.

And dead last is the CBBL...I actually really don't like that lock too much. And find that they can come undone much easier when actually in combatant type use as its made more.

There you have my opinions. Take them or leave them. Just my thoughts.
I fully agree.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

Glad to see I'm not the only one
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KBar666 wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only one
Crow all.you want because someone else agrees with you, but we'll just have to see what the spydercrew comes up with. :p
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jasonp1 wrote:I have one :)
but I'll be keeping it. It's a beast of a folder for sure.
I don't blame you for keeping it. Once I find mine...it will never leave.
On the hunt for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

sal
Honestly...not interested.

I love the Manix2. And the Manix2 XL is even better (though it does need a 4mm blade).

But I want the Original Chinook....with the new backlock like the N5 has for sure. But other than that. ZERO changes. If its anything but that...I'd rather hunt down an original and pay the extra over the new one. Like I did with the Starmate.
On the hunt for...
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Crow all.you want because someone else agrees with you, but we'll just have to see what the spydercrew comes up with. :p
Dude, I meant that I'm glad I'm not the only one interested...and was surprised to find more than a few people who agreed with how I felt on the lock. Cause its a popular lock type.

I did not mean that I would not be satisfied with what the crew at Spyderco comes up, I'm not the one doing the project. Also if I did not like it that much, well fine, than ok I guess I wouldn't buy it. There are lots of other Spydies still on my list.

But yeah I dud put in my input as Sal said this was the time to do it. Whether it matters or not, he said they were open to suggestions while still at this stage of development.

SO I was not trying to come off all high and mighty just cause some other people agree. I can see how that's how it looked, but that was not how I intended it to be interrupted, sometimes communicating over the internet can miss a mark or two here or there.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Was the Chinook I also released in S30V? Because I thought mine was a Chinook I (looks just like the top one in the pic of all three, has the swedge, and only 1-way mounting clip) but mine is S30V. It looks like for the 2nd version they added 4-way clip positioning and removed the swedge?
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)