Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Kiwi is not really a Kiwi anymore, its missing the hump. I do like the design, it just isn't a Kiwi as I think of them. It definitely needs a wire clip. I would carry the slipit Kiwi way more if it had one. A bigger version with no clip is a deal breaker for me. Where was this made?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like the new "kiwi" more than I thought that I would. I still don't think that it is a Kiwi though. No hump, no Kiwi. I like the no clip thing. Please leave it like that, or at least find a way to attach a clip that leaves less gouges and marks all over the scales. I very much appreciate a 4 way clip, or even a 2 way (Left and Right) but those huge gouges in the scales are just ugly and are really starting to put me off knife designs.
On the hunt for...
Manix Guy 2

Dyad

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Thanks Wouter for the Dyad pics , I had been wondering about the future sprint run . My question has been if the construction was going to be the same as original , the proto shows the design has been upgraded with the liners as the early C39 . Thanks for clearing this up . Regards MG2
amalgam

Post by amalgam »

wonder if the blades can be swapped out on the dyad for us lefthanders?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

IMO, that new Kiwi is similar to the G-10 Persians in that it lacks any soul compared to the original. Plain black G-10, no signature hump, and no clip will likely keep it off my list.

Still, plenty to get excited about so far.
:bug-red-white
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I have seen only now that this Domino is made in Taiwan: I know, we are speaking of prototypes, but I thought that would be made in U.S., especially considering similarity with Manix.... Sorry for the confession but I really hope It will be made in Golden! I hope you are including with me...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Pomelly wrote:I have seen only now that this Domino is made in Taiwan: I know, we are speaking of prototypes, but I thought that would be made in U.S., especially considering similarity with Manix.... Sorry for the confession but I really hope It will be made in Golden! I hope you are including with me...
Many of us believe that Thaichung, Taiwan is putting out the best quality spydies right now.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I know, I have seen the poll, but I don't understand if You are saying that Taiwanese are made better than in U.S.
Infact I said that it was a confession, as I can confess to prefer to pay samothing more for an American production. It's just my opinion! I have never bought a Spyderco made in Taiwan and I have more than 60 Spydercos... Maybe Domino will be my first time, but, as I confessed, I would prefer an U.S. made. Personal tastes!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

amalgam wrote:wonder if the blades can be swapped out on the dyad for us lefthanders?
I can say for certain it works with the original version. I've been carrying the one yablanowitz converted, and was kind enough to trade to me, all this week. It's basically just a question of shuffling the blade/lockbar/backspacer/spring units around. Can't guarantee it will work for the new one, but since it also uses screws throughout, the same technique should work for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype – Mike Draper

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Mike Draper prototype seemed, to me, a lot like one of the old-fashioned straight Spyderco designs. The knife measured 22,8 cm / 8,9 inch overall, with an estimated blade length of 9.5 cm / 3.7 inch. The knife was a lot lighter in the hand than I initially thought. I’m afraid I didn’t catch much more info on this Mike Draper design.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Holland

Post by Holland »

very elegant design. I like the lock a lot
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype – Spin – Blue Nishijin

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Spin was one of Eric Glesser’s earliest designs for Spyderco. The goal was to design a knife his wife would EDC. After a couple of years, the design was discontinued. Now it’s back as a sprint run in blue nishijin carbon fiber. My pics don’t do justice to the blue nishijin, the background is too similar and it kind of washes out the striking pattern. Trust me, if you liked black nishijin carbon fiber, I’m sure you’ll love the blue stuff.

The approximate specs for the Spin Blue Nishijin sprint are:

Blade Length: 4,5 cm / 1.77 inch
Overall Length: 10,5 cm / 4.1 inch
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype – Szabo Folder - Black

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Szabo has hardly hit the market, or so it seems to me, and a variant is already in the works; this time in all black. The handle material seemed to be the same as on the Domino, a decorated glass woven fiber over G-10. Although personally I’m not really into black blades, I have to admit the all black finish on the Szabo Folder looks fearsome!

The approximate specs for the black Szabo Folder are:

Blade Length: 11,7 cm / 4.60 inch
Overall Length: 25,9 cm / 10.19 inch
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Production Sample – Perrin - All Black

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Perrin Streetbowie is back, now in all black. Apparently the design started out by Fred Perrin, intended for use by the French Armed Forces. The Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie never did become a French army issue knife. Recently, the US armed forced showed interest in the design, but they wanted it in all black. So Spyderco decided to come out with the Perrin Streetbowie in black.

I forgot to take measurements of the Perrin, but according to an older catalog, the Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie measures:

Blade Length: 12,8 cm / 5.05 inch
Overall Length: 23,8 cm / 9.38 inch
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype – Stuart Ackerman Serrata

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another design from a knifedesigner that’s also a forumite! Last year’s concept model of the Serrata has seen a bit of ‘spyderization’ but not much I think. This was the last knife from the Amsterdam Meet I could ‘shoot and show’, and I forgot to take some measurements I’m afraid. I think the blade was around 5 inches long. The handle features thin contoured black micarta scales. Although the blade stock seemed thick – compared to the Perrin Streetbowie for example – it handled like a dream. I was kind of looking around for some stuff to cut. The knife moved lightly in the hand. It has excellent ergonomics. The thick blade showed excellent edge geometry. I’d love to put this knife to work. I didn’t see any sheath for the knife. It’s on my wishlist for sure!

And that´s all of the spyderco prototype pictures for this year folks!

A great big thank you to the Spydercrew for allowing me to shoot and share all these pictures of concept models, prototypes and production samples! Which other knife company does this for its afi's?!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

araneae wrote: Where was this made?
I'm not sure, but from the construction and the model's history I'm think the Kiwi G-10 will be made in Japan.
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Thanks for the pics and effort! That Serrata looks mighty good.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for all your hard work and pictures!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx Wouter for the awesome job!! Once again super nice pics. I can't wait to get my hands on e some of these beauties :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
thelock

Post by thelock »

Lava ans Szabo (Blade swap) for me. Hopefully the final version of the black szabo will have black hardware!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set