Suggestions for Small EDC???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
joneil

Suggestions for Small EDC???

Post by joneil »

Want to get a smaller knife to carry in addition to my main EDC. I have been looking at the Jester, Mouse and Cricket. I know the Jester and Mouse are discontinued, but can still be found. Never had anything with either of these blade shapes. Can anyone weigh in on the benefits/disadvantages of either?

Or do you have other suggestions for a smaller EDC - under 3 inches?
Not a huge fan of FRN...

Any help would be appreciated.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Er Dragonfly!?

Or the Manbug perhaps.

Comes in a variety of steel and handles type to choose from.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The Manbug is great, as is the Dragonfly. I've heard the Cricket and Jester are good too, and there is a sprint run of the Jester still available.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

Couldn't be happier with my G10 dragonfly. I always have it on me.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

As you could figure out I am a cricket guy. Lately I am taken by the Dragonfly. I like the SE since cutting boxes and things open is mostly what I do with it. The tip with its weird shape can do delicate cuts well. The cricket is an awesome little guy. It is low profile in pocket. I have been keeping mine in the little 5th pocket of my jeans. Believe it or not the blade shape is quite useful. It will do whatever you ask as long as you don't ask it to gut a dear or anything like that. It is also people friendly although I have had coworkers gasp over the "knife" I pulled out to cut something and I live in Idaho. Whatever.
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

A dragonfly would be a good choice. Maybe a Chapparal or a pingo.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Dragonfly (G-10 or FRN) or Pingo will not do you wrong. I always wanted a Jester, but I see no need without a clip. If you are looking for clipless, do yourself a favor and get a Gayle Bradley AIR. You will thank me for that choice later! :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Chaparral is one that is often overlooked when speaking of small knives. Maybe some of this is due to the fact that it resembles the Sage 1 which perhaps leaves a lingering impression of a larger model. It's one of those knives that seems bigger than it is. It's about 1/2 inch longer than the Dragonfly and feels more comfortable to me in hand than the D-fly. It's thin and light, and the CF version isn't that much more expensive than the G-10 D-fly. Just another option to think about.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Manbug ZDP disappears in pocket, but you don't like FRN. But its size:weight:usefulness ratio is impressive. Mbug comes in grey G10, however, maybe more your cup of tea. I own 2 Jesters, but they're not as good as the Manbug for EDC, IMO. As previously mentioned can't go wrong with a G10 Dragonfly unless you're a hardcore tip-town carry guy. Cheers!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I cannot tell you anything about mouse. Never hold it in my hand. I carried Cricket for couple days and absolutely hate ergos. IMHO the knife is good only to open envelopes. Jester is much better. I love mine. Shouldn't be a problem to find grey sprint on e-bay.
Dragonfly with 2.25" blade is much more serious knife and much more capable due to large handle, but if money is not a concern I would try to get Kopa. The blade a little longer, a little narrower, no swedge (I hate the swedge on most knives), bolsters, nice scale materials. Some variants like blue bone and couple others, still can be found at reasonably price, just few bucks more than we paid originally.
And if you can wait, Lava sprint is coming this summer.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

Dragonfly is one the best for smalll EDC it does not frighten the Sheep.
The blade size is also work friendly if knives are allowed.
v8r

Post by v8r »

A Copilot would be another good option. My first Spyderco was a Se SS Copilot. Still have it, and it is well worn. If I ever have enough money I hope to buy one with a plain edge.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Manbug is my choice. More versatile than the Cricket IMO. You really know where to find a Mouse? You're going to pay a great deal more to find one nowadays.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

dragonfly!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

For a small EDC to complement a larger EDC I think the way to go is either the G-10 Jester Sprint or the bolstered Manbug G-10. They're very similar; I prefer the Jester, but the Manbug also works well and is slightly larger. The G-10 Dragonfly is another good choice (although I still dislike the sharp crest behind the Spyderhole), as is the Chicago or its larger cousin, the Cat, both G-10. If you can get your hands on a vintage Tuffram-handled Cricket with an SE blade, you may be very happy, too.
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Echo the Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189 tuff stuff !!!!

Also a firm nod to the Pingo if you don't mind a slip joint.
G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

The Urban is a nice little knife, it is discontinued but still available online.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Chaparral might fit the bill if you want a high end, small EDC.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Haven't seen the Squeak mentioned. It certainly has some endearing qualities and it's readily available.
joneil

Post by joneil »

Thanks for all the replies. I will certainly look at the G-10 Dragonfly, Chaparral and the Manbug. Like all three of those. All of those seem like good choices. Already have a Pingo and love it and the blade shape.