Whats with the Spyderhawk Salt being Disco'd??!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:A black DLC bladed Black handle (and hardware) civilian.
Yes!!

Name it the "Death Sickle" to clarify for all the people who won't read the product notes. This is the Internet :) .
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I was referring to this:

The Spyderhawk clearly died due to a lack of sales. If it was selling like snow cones in the Sahara Desert I doubt it would be going away. Maybe if they sold it just as black and SE it would have survived, maybe not.

I doubt they had problems due to ease of sharpening. The Harpy and Tasman are still in the line-up.
The post you were responding to was talking about the SUPERHAWK>> not the Spyderhawk.. And I still maintain that because it never was offered in Spyderedge it's destiny was probably sealed from the beginning unfortunately. The SUPERHAWK would have been an awesome blade in Spyderedge.

Now the Spyderhawk died a slow death due to many factors and one being the rotten economy limited people from buying specialty type knives. But the H-1 Spyderhawk did significantly better than it's VG-10 predecessor. But we haven't seen the end of the Spyderhawk. It will be back in a different format someday I"m sure of it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I know which vowel I used and those were my personal feelings. Right or wrong.

I think the CF Superhawk was discontinued for a few reasons but not due to lacking teeth. I believe the FRN Spyderhawk H1 was discontinued also due to lack of sales but mainly due to color and a lack of buying education.

Since my crystal ball is broken and I don't get a W2 from Spyderco it's just guess-work. I own a Superhawk and not a Spyderhawk personally because the latter was yellow and .125" past my legal carry limit...obtrusive + illegal = risk.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

jzmtl wrote:The yellow handle couldn't have helped. No matter how much buzz you hear on any color, black will still outsell it many times over. Seen this on many things other than knives.

Mmh I disagree here. Sure black is timeless, classic and looks good on most knives, but man that yellow is hot!
JD Spydo

To make room for G-10 Harpy

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm hoping that with this shift away from the bigger Hawkbills for the time being that it will hopefully ignite a fervor for a G-10 Harpy to return to the line up.

The G-10 Harpy is a lost classic that has many fans and would sell good at this time I'm convinced. I know we have the Tasman which is comparable to the Harpy but the added bulk and ridgidity of the Harpy makes it a Hawkbill user's dream knife.

Also in regards to the demise of the H-1 Spyderhawk I'm hoping that it does come back again>> and hopefully with a G-10 handle. I just thought that the Spyderhawk really enhanced the H-1 Salt Series and we will see something good come out of this>> and hopefully that discontinuing the Spyderhawk will make room for a newer beefed up, G-10 Harpy which would fill the void very nicely.
TomH

Post by TomH »

JD Spydo wrote: hopefully that discontinuing the Spyderhawk will make room for a newer beefed up, G-10 Harpy which would fill the void very nicely.
And maybe a fixed blade hawkbill too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomH wrote:And maybe a fixed blade hawkbill too.
I've been bugging Spyderco about a "FIXED BLADE HAWKBILL" for the last 3 years or so. With the super progress that Spyderco has made with it's fixed blades and with the Southfork ready to be launched you would think the timing would be perfect for such a beast to be brought to market. There are so few fixed blade Hawkbills on the market that I'm sure if Spyderco were to launch one in their H-1 Salt Series it would go over big. Yeah it's time for a new Hawkbill>> and a fixed blade version would be super
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

a folding pe hawkbill with a ~4" H1 blade and g10 scales would be the cat's meow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:a folding pe hawkbill with a ~4" H1 blade and g10 scales would be the cat's meow.
The H-1 Spyderhawk was available in PE and there are probably a few of them still on dealer's shelves if you know where to look. And YES!! I do agree that a Spyderhawk with G-10 scales would be a really cool Sprint run if nothing else.

If they would do a Sprint of the G-10 Harpy and make them available in SE & PE I'm sure they would sell out in 2 months or less. Because a few years back when they did the original Carbon Fiber Harpy they made it available in SE & PE and they didn't last very long at all and now they are considered among the "HOLY GRAIL" of Spyderco collectibles.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

the hawkbill/spyderhawk in H-1 is gone .

i have been looking with no luck.

why kill such a cool knife off.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
Donut

Post by Donut »

Still waiting on a Dragonfly sized Hawkbill and Reverse S. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Spyderhawk still available at a dealer known to only sell at retail . Regards MG2
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Interesting timing. I was just taking the Profiles to the serrations on mine today.

And by the way, thse serrations are HARD! Get the angle too high and you'll shave ceramic right off the Profile!
Ken
玉鋼
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Spyderhawk still available at a dealer known to only sell at retail . Regards MG2
oooo yea,care to send me the link?

thx
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
JD Spydo

The Spyderhawk will return: New handle and blade are in order

Post by JD Spydo »

kbuzbee wrote:Interesting timing. I was just taking the Profiles to the serrations on mine today.

And by the way, thse serrations are HARD! Get the angle too high and you'll shave ceramic right off the Profile!
Ken
I've yet to have any of my blade steels actually eat up ceramic on my Spyderco 701 Profiles. But I'm usually pretty careful about how I use them. I still maintain that the 701 Profiles are the best tool for sharpening serrated Hawkbills and other serrated blades as well.

Getting back to the demise of the H-1 Spyderhawk I think that this lousy economy truly had a lot to do with it being discontinued. But it wouldn't surprise me to see the Spyderhawk return in a completely new format>> like a G-10 handle and one of the supersteels for a blade. I would love a G-10 Spyderhawk with XHP blade steel.

With the Spyderhawk out of the line up I truly wish they would jazz up the remaining Hawkbills like the Tasman and Harpy. They should offer up the Harpy with a G-10 handle>> I would love one with a Micarta handle as well.

I am still disappointed about the H-1 Spyderhawk being slashed from the main line up. IT will return by popular demand I'm sure of it. If nothing else I wish they would do another run of the Superhawk with a Spyderedged blade. That would be my EDC Hawkbill if they did that.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Luckily I managed to pick up a Spyderhawk a while back....what I wish I hadn't missed out on is the Superhawk...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

JD Spydo wrote:I've been bugging Spyderco about a "FIXED BLADE HAWKBILL" for the last 3 years or so. With the super progress that Spyderco has made with it's fixed blades and with the Southfork ready to be launched you would think the timing would be perfect for such a beast to be brought to market. There are so few fixed blade Hawkbills on the market that I'm sure if Spyderco were to launch one in their H-1 Salt Series it would go over big. Yeah it's time for a new Hawkbill>> and a fixed blade version would be super
I'm with you on that one. Now that the Enuff series is born, imagine a 4th one: Mini Hawk Enuff fixed blade :cool:

They could also come up with a larger hawk fixed blade too, it would give lots of options to choose from H1, VG-10, black, yellow, SE and PE!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I carry my Yellow handled Spyderhawk H-1 Spyderedge in my left pocket
at the office every day. It has handled every thing that I have ever asked
it to do. Black handle DLC sounds interesting.
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Bummer to me too that the SpyderHawk was disco'd... I will probably have to hunt one down on the secondary market (or more preferably, find some new-old-stock somewhere sitting on a shelf).

Regarding the SuperHawk... if it would have had the aggressive sweep of the SpyderHawk's blade I bet it would have done better... the blade on the SuperHawk was just too shallow of a hawkbill... needed to be dramatic. IMO
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

THE PUNISHER wrote:the hawkbill/spyderhawk in H-1 is gone .

i have been looking with no luck.

why kill such a cool knife off.
You must not have looked very well when you stopped by my table at the Lexington show the first weekend in January. Had one sitting in the Spyderco case.