Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The dodo isn't a show stopper for people? What about the T-Mag, Embassy or Bi-Fold? I can't think of any more perfect examples of the engineering aspect of where our million year old tool have evolved to.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
araneae

Post by araneae »

All of mine are excellent in their own way.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
lamorak

Post by lamorak »

The S, Poliwog, T-Mag, Embassy, Bi-Fold, Ladybug Tattoo, Navaja, Kris, Persian, Delica Damascus and Delica Emerson are definitively on the list ;) .
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

Hahaha! This guys dosent have five spyderco knives! Just wants to get under our skin is all. I have five and wish I never had to take the learning curve of buying other brands before I woke up. The reason it took so long is no one sells them around here so I can't put them in my hand. I count on you guys to let me know how they feel. This guys just a tool!!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'd just say that Spyderco tries to excel in areas that other knifemakers don't think about as often as they shoud:

- supply chain management
- ergonomics
- user feedback

Spyderco necessarily seems odd, because it obsesses on these three. But odd doesn't mean bad at all. Not one bit.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

I wouldn't buy a single knife from the OP's top ten list.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ergos and innovations are what the brand is about. One reason I really like them as is.

They have some real lookers an the F&F is generally twice what you pay. That's not the point though; designed in the dark > designed for the glass case.

Plus Sal uses steels in production folders from the moon. Want something in a steel you haven't heard of yet? Wait a month ;) .
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My top 4 right now would be a Para 2, BM Leopard or mini-AFCK, BM 690-01, and the fourth might be something like the BM Adamas or BM 760.

This list contains the Para 2 as a top user/slicer, the mini-AFCK as a slim EDC since the Para 2 is not really very slim, the BM 690-01 is a dressier EDC, and the fourth knife would be something for hard use.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so they say, therefore choosing thee knife is very much a matter of personal prefference. A knife is good or bad depending on your expectations. I've seen the Microtech Ultratech in your top 10 list. It is a fine knife and a great piece of engineering, no doubt about it. However, it can't compete even with the entry level Spydies when it comes to reliability. Also, I seriously doubt that many people abuse their Sebenzas the way we abuse our Spydies - and consider it a natural way, I may add. :)
I wouldn't consider Spydies as the Corvette or Nissan of knives, but rather the AK-47 of knives. Yes, there are many fine knives out there, but send me on a deserted planet with only one knife and I'll happily switch my custom J. A. Harkins' OTF with a Pacific Salt. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I'll take my Black Camo Millie and Black Chevy Truck any old day
over any fancy pants style over substance knife, truck or anything
for that matter. Except for the wife of course, she fits both bills. :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bh49 wrote:may be you need to check the original Black. IMHO appearance wise it is much better. Did you have a chance to see Shabaria? Starmate? Kopas? Phoenix?
lamorak wrote: @bh49
The only Kopa I had a chance to handle was in a bad shape and costing way too much. I never had a chance to see any of the others you suggested.
All these knives are discontinued, but can be found on secondary market. Google these knives to see if you like them. Buy from US, it is much less expensive. Phoenix and Starmate can be expensive, but Starmate sprint is coming. Most of Kopas and Black bolstered Persians priced fairly reasonable, especially 75 mm Persian.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think there are several excellent Spyderco knives, even if they are equal in the eyes of different people with different likes/dislikes. I'm considering other knives in the same ballpark in price even though that seldom dictates what people like as a personal EDC choice IMO.

I like best from my experience:
Gayle Bradley
Sage4
Chaparral
Sage1
Manix2
(any model, I have the one with an CPM-M4 blade and used to own the 154CM black blade model)

These knives meet my personal requitements in durability, ease of use/carry, comfort (ergonomics), appearance, materials (especially blade steel), etc. I can't imagine "better" knives unless it boils down to personal preferrence, which is fine. Two of Spyderco's GREAT features IMO are a) the standard blade steels are the better performers compared to the other companies I'm familiar with. Spyderco uses "value" steel on their value line and byrd knives. My understanding is these knives are an alternative for those who don't want to spend as much but still have a very adequate knife. b) I prefer the hole for opening the blade over a flipper, thumb stud, or any other method of one-hand opening. Sometimes a thumb stud is in the way when I sharpen a knife and I will remove it rather than change the way I stroke a knife on a stone.

The only other brands I have any experience with are Gerber, SOG and Cold Steel. IMO, Spyderco knives are head and shoulders above the knives I've owned from those companies for my needs.

These are my opinions regarding if Spyderco knives can be called excellent.

Jack
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

My thinking is in line with most of the other men. How could you buy "50" knives from the same company and still feel "meh" about the brand?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

enduraguy wrote:My thinking is in line with most of the other men. How could you buy "50" knives from the same company and still feel "meh" about the brand?
My wife has at least 50 pairs of shoes. She feels meh about all of them and wants some better shoes. On the plus side, the last time she said, "I really need some new shoes", I said "I feel the same way about knives". She hasn't made a single comment since about how many knives I own.

Gordon
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gaj999 wrote:I said "I feel the same way about knives". She hasn't made a single comment since about how many knives I own.
Well played, Gordon! Not quite as overtly, but I've had the same discussion with mine about jewelry ;)

Ken
玉鋼
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I only have a few knives and have bought them after much thought. I am glad when I read these posts that I am not a collector. I try my best to use all the knives I have. The Dragonfly2 Salt gets the most use as it helps me to open about a hundred letters a day. Manila envelopes are not gentle on any blade and I am sometimes amazed at the amount of glue peeps use to paste an envelope shut.

Then one of my bigger blades will also tag along in its small pouch and get used for food or the odd task that needs a bigger blade.

I try my best to use each blade although I have not yet used my Squeak, Manix XL or Nishijin R.

I feel sad when reading posts like this and imagining all those knives that do not get used. No disrespect meant as I know that this is what collecting is. But then, if you were to use all of em daily, the dude in that movie, I think it was Machete comes to mind.

On another aspect, if one does collect blades for a long time, they will also become very adept at taking care of those blades and be in a position to explain about how material like micarta, FRN and similar stuff stand the test of time. Some people like to watch fish, can't be that different from watching ones knives.

For me, the Para2, Military and the PPT are the best and most used blades I have in the larger category. Smaller one is the Dragonfly Salt PE.

Anyway, sorry for writing loads. Waiting for my dinner and looking at Nigella cooking on tv. Yawn.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The answer to the question is yes.

The Para 2 is as excellent a knife as I've ever owned (to name just one). Yes, I have plenty of more expensive knives, but none are any more excellent.

Different strokes for different folks.
:bug-red-white
jossta

Post by jossta »

I don't know that I would have a Spyderco in my top 10 knives of all time either, but only of you include customs. If it were only production, Spyderco would probably have half or more of the list. The fact that Benchmade and Microtech made the list kinda means that our opinions on knives are so different, it's likely not worth arguing about it...
Davidig

Post by Davidig »

I normally would not reply to a thread like this but, like many of you I really like knives. Like many of you, I have been on a perpetual search for the "perfect" folder for a long time. I've spent way too much time researching, handling and purchasing knives from numerous top tier knife makers. Im not a collector or flush with cash, so I deliberate heavily on each purchase. I think I've looked at every opener and locking system on the market. For what ever reason, I keep coming back to Spyderco's quality, design, commitment to inovation, and collaboration. Spyderco knives sit better in my pocket, open easier and feel better in hand. So in summary, they make an excellent knife.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I'm told it takes owning at least 200 Spydercos to realize the answer is no... ;)

Seriously, it seems it's a matter of taste as I wouldn't choose any other than the Sebenza from your "top ten".