What do you all use to clean your sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

rycen wrote:A regular pencil eraser will work but is kind of a mess.
A white drafting eraser works well, and doesn't leave so many boogers/eraser dust.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
wec12

Post by wec12 »

I use Comet and scotchbrite pad as recommended in DVD. However, after few strokes the rods get dirty again...
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

I've found this stuff works well for cleaning the rods

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BCxkndbz98o?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

"Barkeeper's Friend" and a relatively fresh blue Scotchbrite pad. (I'm not sure if the green pads are too rough.)

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I use BKF and the green pads with no problem. I don't think they can hurt the ceramic rods.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Outstanding and very informative thread - thanks all :)

I am getting my new sharpmaker early next week -- and I would like both the drafting white eraser (I'm guessing Office Max or a competitor is the best way and source for buying a couple) but I don't know if 'BKF' is sold in any stores I frequent, so I'll have to look at that further....home depot? ...supermarket? ...k-mart??
('little help from someone in cluing me in there :cool: )

I'll be working on a number of older knives for gaining the feel and experience there with the SM before delving in with my rarer and higher $$ pieces straightaway -- for obvious reasons. ;)

I will be acquiring pairs each of diamond; medium grit brown, and then the white ultra- fine as for the ceramic rods when I get into Golden in a few days.

I'm quite adept with my traditional stones I have had tor several years (old-school style) and am plenty used to that method of sharpening and attaining very good results....
.... the SM will be capable of much better; this I've already known for quite a while since first seeing and then using the SM a few times @ SFO....with a little tuition from the great folks there in giving me one-on-one, first- hand experience (it's good to be so close to Golden for sure, lol...) :D :D

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / Bruce :cool: :cool:
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

You can get BKF at Home Depot, Loews, and probably many other places.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Cool.
Very much appreciated. :cool: :cool:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I use a big art eraser for daily cleaning. About once a month or so, I give them a good scrubbing with dish soap and a scotchbrite.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey Brother I'm curious as to which Soft Scrub you use?? Are you using the original Clorox Brand with the bleach in it? Or are you using one of the aftermarket brands?

I have found the Soft Scrub containing bleach to be a great first stage cleaner but I still haven't found any of the Soft Scrub products to be as good as Bar Keeper's Friend. But hey if I don't ask questions how can I learn :)

I've also heard that by soaking the stones in a solution of Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) that the metal comes out a lot easier. I've not tried that yet and I was wondering if any of you have?
I'm not sure if it has bleach in it or not. I found a bottle at my grandparents house...it could be 20 years old for all I know. I use it with a 3M pad on Sharpmaker rods and ultra don't benchstone. It is the "original" soft scrub.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Powdered household cleaner and scouring pads. The Lansky Eraser Block also works well for a quick, dry cleanup. I guess any big, hard eraser would serve well in cleaning the rods.
geardog32

Post by geardog32 »

Bar keepers friend and blue scotch pads gets them clean. Then I use dawn dish soap and a stiff bristle toothbrush for the diamond rods and make sure they get dry and maybe even a little oil because they will rust.