Nerdy Hobbies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Nerdy Hobbies

Post by Blerv »

Sorry pocket knives are normal here :p . List them if you feel so inclined.

Can't promise you won't get laughed at. If possible I'll try to get more laughs though ;) .

1. Flashlights - high powered manufactured, mods, customs.
2. Whips - only one so far, a 4' Nylon Snakewhip. Fun toys/tools, just yard tricks and targets...nothing "icky" :p
3. Old Video Games - From my childhood, classic NES and Sega mostly. Private shards of online ones like Everquest and Ultima Online.
4. Cars/Trucks - stanger the better. Dreaming of something ex-military someday like a Pinz, Mog, or Deuce. This is heavily money dependant.
5. Quirky "EDC" crap - I don't call it that but you know. Multi-tools, pens, and knick-knackery.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'll play:

1: Making jewelry boxes (maybe 4 a year or so)
2: Wilderness Land-Navigation (Traveling cross-country here in the rocky mountains using map, compass, stars, and an occasional GPS, for fun and teaching it to others)
3: Computer flight simulation (helicopters mainly)
4: Sharpening anything with an edge (a good hobby for a perfectionist like myself)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

1. Fighting Crime.
2. Wearing a cape.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Speedcubing - Competition speed solves on Rubik's cubes. (3x3x3, 4x4x4, etc)

Cube building - I make my own custom designs on Rubik's cubes. I actually had a design stolen by the Chinese and now it is mass produced.

Magic - Took up magic as a hobby.. Ended up being almost my part time job. Was accepted in the Magic Castle in Hollywood in 09.

I have given my hands a rest now, so these hobbies are now a thing of my past. It is nice to get in touch with it once in a while though!

My collection of Rubik's Cubes

Part of my card collection.

My designs!

Not what you think they were :)

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dang C.Joe, that's impressive! If I ever solved one of those things I would likely make it into a necklace. ;)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Dang, the only thing I can do from rubiks is Rubik's 3D what's the design the Chinese stole?
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

c.joe,

You ever visit this site?

http://www.theory11.com/
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Blerv wrote:Sorry pocket knives are normal here :p . List them if you feel so inclined.

Can't promise you won't get laughed at. If possible I'll try to get more laughs though ;) .

1. Flashlights - high powered manufactured, mods, customs.

5. Quirky "EDC" crap - I don't call it that but you know. Multi-tools, pens, and knick-knackery.
Guilty, plus

Old tools (I've got a hundred plus year old drill press waiting around for me to do something with).
Hand tools (saws, planes)
Noir fiction first editions.
Guns I don't like but won't sell.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Bradley wrote:1. Fighting Crime.
2. Wearing a cape.
HA!!! Nice,..
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Some off the top...

Flashlights

Ham Radio(New hobby of mine)
Come Join Us Click Here
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Guns, knives, leather work and chainmaille.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

fifthprofession47 wrote:c.joe,

You ever visit this site?

http://www.theory11.com/
I got friends that are staff there and I have personally met a few artists as well! :)

Great site for simple magic and unique playing cards.
razorsharp wrote:Dang, the only thing I can do from rubiks is Rubik's 3D what's the design the Chinese stole?

The white mirror blocks on the top right and my 3x4x5. The mirror block sold at about $200 a piece and the 3x4x5 sold at about $90 a piece. You can find them both now for less than $10. They went for that much simply because of labor. They take many, many hours to make!

You can see the rest of my designs on this very old website that I made years ago.

[url]http://chris_joe.webs.com/apps/photos/[/url]
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey Blerv, are whips in your EDC rotation.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BAL wrote:Hey Blerv, are whips in your EDC rotation.
Well... :rolleyes:

I was on a winter coat kick for a while. It had large button pockets and my snake whip actually coiled in nicely with my Dereelight DBS flashlight. I've been wearing a leather coat which has normal pockets so I too have to act normal(ish).

If going on a hike or even a dog walk I could see carrying one. No clue how it would work on unleashed roaming dogs but I know the circus folk use them on lions. :p
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Like Blerv, I use whips (Have one 4' nylon snake like Blerv, one 8' nylon stock whip, one 8' nylon bullwhip, and one 9' leather stock whip). I just got the Tasmanian Cutback crack down with my bullwhip.

I also do Japanese Sword Arts. Koshirae, cutting and kata.

My nerdiest hobby is Monster Hunter the video game. I love that game.

I also develop lab activities for highschoolers/ general community members involving nanotechnology. I think that's my nerdiest deal.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about birdwatching? :o I get bugged a lot at work - good thing I'm so manly. :D
I also carve pendants from bone, wood metal, rock...

- best wishes, Jazz.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I started chasing butterflies with a net when I was a kid and it kinda developed until now I am an expert on a particular group of flies (mainly the European region but I also dabble in North & South America). Got my own staff pass for our national museum ... they just haven't got round to paying me for my research yet ... Doh! Why is there no money in entomology these day? :p
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Bonsai - though I've been into plants for 12 or so years, I have yet to have any of my plants reach what a purist would call bonsai. I guess I mostly apply bonsai principles to potted tropicals like schefflera and ficus.

MBC every Sunday.

I did leatherwork for a long time; mostly made saps. I did quite a few there for a while but stopped because I did everything by hand. Hand stitching leather got to be a bit tiresome and the sore cracked hands did not become me. I keep saying I'm going to start up again. I did some knife sheaths and other stuff as well.

I have way too many small, really bright flashlights as well, far more than any reasonable person needs.

Jeff
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Some of my hobbies include
Knives (spyderco and BRKT especially)
Lights (good quality ones)
Photography (not so geeky, but it is also my job, I'm a bit of a photo gear geek though)
Is sewing a geeky hobby ? - I generally make straps, slings etc for Camera gear, and when used to work as a security guard, I made duty gear (radio carriers and such)
power is nothing without control
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

bonsai (not allone here )greeetzzzz
Attachments
DSCF1278.jpg
DSCF1278.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 2654 times