New member/first purchase help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

You have start somewhere, so keep it simple. Whatever your first Spydie is you'll soon figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
From your list of possibilities I'd start with either the Endura or Caly. After some time in hand look at the others.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I'm looking for all around edc as well as I work at a bar so food prep would be in order. I am very close to ordering the manix2 as well as the endura4. I have no use for a combat folder but at some time I will probably get a mili or para mili.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

going with the majority and ordering the endura4 black plain edge tomorrow.... i have zero use for a serrated edge as of now. sounds like a good way to ease in and see what everything is all about. thanks everyone for the help.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I echo dsmegst's remarks. My Delica's are super sharp with thin edges. They're great for light/medium use. For heavier use, like a bunch of carboard, rope, tubing, etc. I'm more inclined to choose a Manix, Large Lum, PPT and so on.

Like I said before the Delica is a good first choice. The D4 saber ground is a nice strong yet versatile blade that can be purchased for under $50. VG-10 steel is really wonderful stuff when Spyderco treats it.

Wish you the best and let us know what you decide :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just a suggestion:

If you aren't sure how long of a blade you will want to carry daily get an Endura and a Delica and see which size fits your needs. I like to carry two knives now, one small and one larger. I used the Endura as an example because it is a great knife and has a nice price tag. You might want to get a Stretch instead but it may be a little more expensive but I like my Stretch more than the Endura because the handle fits my hand very much more better. :) I would also recommend a Manix 2 because lots and lots of people love it. I'm also excited about it now because I have one on order. The first and foremost question to be answered in my mind for the first and second purchase is blade size and that will only be answered by hands on time for you to see what you like.

Since you asked for suggestions on your "first" purchase I'm thinking you will be making more than one or two purchases. Therefore I agree with whoever said you will probably own all the knives you mentioned sooner or later. I doubt you will be disappointed by any of your first choice candidates.

Have fun,
Jack
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

jackknifeh wrote:Just a suggestion:

Since you asked for suggestions on your "first" purchase I'm thinking you will be making more than one or two purchases. Therefore I agree with whoever said you will probably own all the knives you mentioned sooner or later. I doubt you will be disappointed by any of your first choice candidates.

Have fun,
Jack
I have decided on matching gray FFG endura and delica 4's. I've always had a fascination with sharp things and now is the time to take the leap.... and reading about all these sprint runs almost got me a little over excited lol, i almost bought an s90v military on ebay last night for 425 lol. So first step is a baby step and i believe the manix and the para will be my next purchase after these, but we shall see. Anyone have any experience with how long it takes Howes Knife Shop to get these out?
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Good choice, imo. Howe's is super fast. It will in the mail on Monday for sure.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

thank you everyone for helping with the process! pics to come as soon as i get them!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If you have the itch and the means to scratch it do so and enjoy :)

I do still enjoy my Delicas :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Good call. Of the 2, I love the Delica for everyday carry due to the light weight and having enough blade length for most tasks. But I find that blade size a bit too small for food prep. Cutting a thick sandwich or a large fruit requires a bigger knife like the Endura. Full flat grind is a winner in every thing except for prying or other such ham-fisted foolishness.

VG-10 is relatively easy to sharpen but still hard enough to hold a great edge for a fair amount of use. It's capable of extreme sharpness and is tough (rolls rather than chip). It also responds well to just about any type of sharpening method you might use.

I agree with everyone that the Delica/Endura duo is a great measuring stick for finding out what works for you. And for many people, it's all they need. Anything more "premium" is just icing on the cake. I can't think of anything that knives costing many times more would do better a Delica or an Endura.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Derty

Post by Derty »

Take a short cut and just get a Sage 1 or a Paramillie 2!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

lol i almost took a huge shortcut and bought an s90v CF para 2 for 295 on ebay about an hour ago lol.....