Newb Question: What are lockbacks more popular than liner/frame locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

While there are bad examples of any and every lock type, in the many years I've tested locks, I've never seen any lock type fail in anywhere near the numbers as liner locks. And more telling, a liner lock made by a big name like Elishewitz, Emerson, or Onion might fail just like a cheaper made lock, something that tends not to be true with other lock types. I'm pretty convinced that tolerances required by the liner lock design itself, in addition to the fact that even if the execution is perfect originally but changes through wear or through the frame flexing under stress, it is plain and simple the least reliable format overall.

So for me, liner locks are for light use folders only... I prefer a well-made example of just about any other type.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I trust liner locks as about as far as I can push them...seen and experience just too many failures...I do like the compression locks and have had decent positive experience with the back locks...I think there is a little more to this than just preference or whether you are right or left handed...Not saying some locks are easier than others to manipulate... they most certainly are...I just like my fingers too much to trust most locks on a folder.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Dr. Snubnose wrote: I just like my fingers too much to trust most locks on a folder.....Doc :D
You should apply for a marketing position with KFC to build onto the finger licking good campaign.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
unit

Post by unit »

Joe Talmadge wrote:While there are bad examples of any and every lock type, in the many years I've tested locks, I've never seen any lock type fail in anywhere near the numbers as liner locks. And more telling, a liner lock made by a big name like Elishewitz, Emerson, or Onion might fail just like a cheaper made lock, something that tends not to be true with other lock types. I'm pretty convinced that tolerances required by the liner lock design itself, in addition to the fact that even if the execution is perfect originally but changes through wear or through the frame flexing under stress, it is plain and simple the least reliable format overall.

So for me, liner locks are for light use folders only... I prefer a well-made example of just about any other type.
Joe, would you include frame locks in your assessment of liner locks?

It seems that a liner lock and frame locks would be similar in this regard/potential for wear, frame stress, and sensitivity to tolerances.

Thanks
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:You should apply for a marketing position with KFC to build onto the finger licking good campaign.
Wait! You are confusing me with "O,just,O"...he started the thread "My Military Tastes Horrible" ...hmmm maybe we can get him to lick the locks, and give us a review :p ..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Ken, it stands to reason that integral locks would have the exact same issues, but that hasn't been my experience, and I can only guess as to why. First, when I do a torque test, I like it to be realistic, so I use a firm- to white-knuckle grip. With liner locks, hand skin always sinks into the lock and effects the lockup negatively (or, at best, neutral). With framelocks, the hand reinforces the lock (or, at worst, is neutral). Perhaps the more material engaging has an effect too.

There are definitely people around who have found both formats to be unreliable, that just hasn't been my experience and I go with what I've seen.
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Joe Talmadge wrote:......

So from the above statement I guess you'd consider the Spyderco Military and Gayle Bradley knives "light use" folders since they have the Michael Walker LinerLock®?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dorfinator wrote:So from the above statement I guess you'd consider the Spyderco Military and Gayle Bradley knives "light use" folders since they have the Michael Walker LinerLock®?
I'd say the millie and the bradley are "hard cutting" knives. As opposed to those overbuilt folders like the ZTs and striders.
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

I like the Reeve Integral lock the most because of the ease of closing and strength, but will tolerate anything that locks with authority(good build).
Handwrecker

I know I'm in the minority but...

Post by Handwrecker »

Liner locks are my favorite. I don't buy junk knives, so I'm unfamiliar with crappy liner locks. That being said, I personally dislike back locks. More moving parts, more weight, harder to clean, and I just don't like how much I have to move around to close them. I always feel blade play in back locks, too. That really bugs me. I've gotten a Persian to fail from gripping it too tight. Never had that problem with my Gayle Bradley or Military.

I know this is just preference, and everybody has one. The bottom line is that a quality knife from a good manufacturer is fine regardless of lock type. I hear you lefties as I shoot a lot, and I shoot lefty. Left handed guns/stocks are pretty uncommon as the market really isn't huge. I can operate a right handed bolt or semi auto rifle just fine, and don't feel disenfranchised about it. Humans are made to adapt. And if all else fails, Spyderco still has a truckload of backlocks.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I honestly don't have a preference as long as the lockup is tight and I can manipulate the lock. I'm a lefty and so some are a little more difficult but I can use liner, back, ball all with one hand...so for me it all comes down to the knife itself.

And also...the lefty Millie. Annoys me, I find the right handed one much easier to manipulate.
On the hunt for...
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I prefer liner locks. Just easier to open and close one handed without much manipulation of the knife. I include the comp lock in this category too since it's sort of an upside down liner lock and I can flip it loses easily.

And just to be clear, I don't dislike back locks. just prefer liners.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
ZoomFlight15

Post by ZoomFlight15 »

Thank you all for the responses. Very informative! I still prefer linerlocks but now understand the advantages and disadvantages of the different lock types. I now have a deeper appreciation for lockbacks as well. : )
BW_BW

Post by BW_BW »

The Deacon wrote:
The other part is pure stubbornness on my part. I've put up with enough "wrong handed" stuff over the years not to do so when it's avoidable. Sure I could "make do" with some Walker, RIL, and compression lock models, but why should I. Too many excellent midlocks out there to bother.
+2 on that. Using a liner lock (or similar) makes me feel like I'm using a borrowed knife. Sure I can close it, but, given a choice, I don't want to own it.

That said, looking at the gunk that accumulates in my lockbacks does make me appreciate my left-handed Military.
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

I really like the detent on lockbacks--it's the perfect amount of force and I know it won't open in my pocket under any circumstance, unlike many liner and frame locks
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I prefer lockbacks simply because of how they close. I never really liked liner or framelocks because I can't play with them as easily as I could with a lockback. Ironically, Spyderco's compression lock is becoming a favorite of mine (even over the lockback) because I could close it like a lockback but with better ergos. All preference my friend! I have plenty of friends who still question me about my lockbacks.
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

dorfinator wrote:So from the above statement I guess you'd consider the Spyderco Military and Gayle Bradley knives "light use" folders since they have the Michael Walker LinerLock®?
No, it means that I wouldn't buy either, because I'll only buy knives with liner locks for light use, and that's not what those knives would excel at.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

My work needs dictate easy safe one hand manipulation in any scenario, reliability, good lock strength and open back construction for easy cleaning. For me the Compression lock wins out every time here.

Outside of work I always like, want and need to be carrying a mid/back lock
....and I have no idea why. ;)

While they are not my first choice and I find nothing naturally appealing about Liner locks, generally speaking Spyderco build them very well and I have no trouble putting them to good use.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK