Imports to Australia: What can we expect from customs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Metric

Post by Metric »

I just placed a couple orders a few days ago -- a Manix 2 from Canada and a GB from the US (from spydieguys, actually). First time I've actually ordered from Australia, as I'm a US citizen. I figured there couldn't possibly be any problem, since I've seen some Spydercos for sale at the local mall, and I actually declared a Spyderco coming through customs once with zero problems. Now I'm kind of nervous.
catamount

Post by catamount »

O,just,O wrote:JayTee you might try Tom Berry, he is Catamount here on the forum.
I am sure that I remember B Billy saying on a local forum that Tom tightened pivots for him to make them legalish.
Hello Tom, you might chime in here with anything else you have recently found out about sending tools to us mob over here. :)
O.
I've shipped a number of :spyder: s to Australia, and, before that last shipment, they all got through customs fine.

As a precaution, I plan to routinely tighten pivots (where possible) on all future shipments.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Metric wrote:I just placed a couple orders a few days ago -- a Manix 2 from Canada and a GB from the US (from spydieguys, actually). First time I've actually ordered from Australia, as I'm a US citizen. I figured there couldn't possibly be any problem, since I've seen some Spydercos for sale at the local mall, and I actually declared a Spyderco coming through customs once with zero problems. Now I'm kind of nervous.
Nothing to be too nervous about. You just have to know what is and isn't allowed. The Spydies to be wary of are ones that are slightly larger/longer which have obviously more inertial force inherent in the longer blade. With a longer and heavier blade along with a loose or smooth pivot it makes for easy flicking :) . Tactical looking or sounding (names like Military or PKal etc) also seem to get more attention. That said all my Kopas and Ladybugs do get molested :(

As Tom and other dealers have said they will check and tighten where possible. My advice is to ask nicely with every order. With many dealers if they get busy it may slip their mind. Not really their problem but they will all help out where possible. I haven't bought from Tom (yet ;) ) but my mate Brian and many others recommend him highly. Well done Tom
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jayinhk

Post by jayinhk »

G'day gentlemen,

Someone in Western Australia is interested in purchasing a handmade balisong trainer and balisong comb from me: both are from the Philippines and have horse bone inserts. Will Aussie Customs let them through if he fills out B709B?

Cheers,

Jay
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Jay,

Best to deal with the buyer privately rather than via an open forum. His situation is entirely independent and he may or may not have what is required. He should know the rules and he will advise you accordingly or else he runs the risk of his stuff being seized and possibly destroyed etc.
Cheers
Metric

Post by Metric »

Update. Got my green XHP Manix 2 today (awesome knife btw)! It was molested by customs, but whatever arbitrary rules are currently in place apparently were not enough to have this one sent back or destroyed. It came through Brisbane, if that makes any difference.
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Metric wrote:Update. Got my green XHP Manix 2 today (awesome knife btw)! It was molested by customs, but whatever arbitrary rules are currently in place apparently were not enough to have this one sent back or destroyed. It came through Brisbane, if that makes any difference.
It seems like the point of entry does make a difference in at least some cases with most instances of "interruption" coming from Sydney..........I've had my own instance of probs there a couple of years ago but thankfully none since..............

Regards,

BRIAN
jase74

Post by jase74 »

buglerbilly wrote:It seems like the point of entry does make a difference in at least some cases with most instances of "interruption" coming from Sydney..........I've had my own instance of probs there a couple of years ago but thankfully none since..............

Regards,

BRIAN
Just got word from my guy that the "Civilian" I ordered had arrived without problems :) Should get it in Adelaide within a day or two!
Cheers

Jase

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Jase,

Glad that Ron could help you out.

Sydney is having probably the tightest Customs controls ATM. Maybe it's just me, but it just seems that way. It really depends on the inspector who happens to open your package as to their interpretation and how far they will go to exercise their interpretation of the prohibited weapons list. It seems many knives with loose(r) pivots are being classified as a gravity/ centrifugal knife :(

Good luck to all the Aussies and UK knifenuts as it seems both these countries are on a witch-hunt !
Cheers
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Mine were grabbed by customs at Brisbane airport.
I am begining to think that they confiscate knives according to the price of eggs at the south pole. :confused:
O.
JayTeeEmEm

Update

Post by JayTeeEmEm »

JayTeeEmEm wrote:Good Info, handy thread guys. Just about to make an order at the moment,good idea to be prepared beforehand. Local Aussie Spydie prices are scary :eek: Might be an idea to get a list of dealers who've helped out in the past?

Cheers
My Cricket, FFG Delica 4 and Pac Salt got thru unmolested :) . Could track it in and out of Aussie customs via USPS website who Knifeworks use. Did request pivots be tightened if possible, Delica stiff not Pac Salt. It was labelled as Camping Tools and I got a Sharpmaker, Leatherman Squirt E4 and a Fenix torch diffuser so not just knives but was in and out of customs in 2 hours.
Happy to have them. Already got bitten by the Pac Salt :D
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Good to hear that mate. :)
O.
jase74

Post by jase74 »

O,just,O wrote:Mine were grabbed by customs at Brisbane airport.
I am begining to think that they confiscate knives according to the price of eggs at the south pole. :confused:
O.
No ways! That sucks...so what is the prognosis...??? can you get them back?
Cheers

Jase

Post by jase74 »

ozspyder wrote:Jase if you are worried then the safest option is to buy from a reputable local dealer. I know of one Aussie dealer who can give you great service and decent prices. I will give you the details if you PM me your email. I am out ATM at a kids function.

Personally I know a few people who have imported the Civilian without problems. But obviously I don't know everyone :) and some of them may have had issues. Almost all my knives are opened and inspected with 99% of them being passed within a few minutes. Some of them have been held up to two weeks whilst they are deliberated over (I assume)

With respect to the Civilian and Matriarch I don't see them as being a problem BUT it just depends who you get opening your package and what tricking mood they are in that day ! I can flick open even Ladybugs. With practice you learn that you can flick just about anything. But most inspectors can't be bothered with the obvious stuff. In the past I have had folders zip-tied through the Spyderhole. But I no longer do that because they just cut it open and sometimes damage the scales or steel (if a collector piece you don't want that)

Once again, if you are able to get the seller to tighten the pivot screw (if there is one) then ask if they can do it so it is tight enough not to flick but still openable. If too tight I would assume inspectors will loosen up and for sure it'll then flick open.

Email me
Daniel, Thanks a million for your referral mate. Got my "Civie" today and I am just super stoked! No problems at all getting it. The service was just fantastic! I will def be using him again!

:D
Cheers

Jase

Post by buglerbilly »

After my previous hassles, I've just gotten three shipments one after the other without even being opened..............go figure! :rolleyes:

The big batch of Millies and Para's was the one I was worried about............

Glad you like the Civvie mate, mine arrives soonish.............. :D

Regards,

BRIAN
jase74

Post by jase74 »

buglerbilly wrote:After my previous hassles, I've just gotten three shipments one after the other without even being opened..............go figure! :rolleyes:

The big batch of Millies and Para's was the one I was worried about............

Glad you like the Civvie mate, mine arrives soonish.............. :D

Regards,

BRIAN
Brian, you also have a Civie on the way??? Cool... :D

I am still shocked at what a beast it is....certainly not an EDC but def my fav in my meager collection... :o
Cheers

Jase

Post by buglerbilly »

Yeah for some bizarre reason even I don't understand, this is going to be the first but not the last Civvie................. ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
jase74

Post by jase74 »

buglerbilly wrote:Yeah for some bizarre reason even I don't understand, this is going to be the first but not the last Civvie................. ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
Let me know when you get yours mate! and post some pics of that monster too... ;)
Cheers

Jase

Post by Metric »

Another update:

I was getting very worried about my Gayle Bradley, it having spent nearly two weeks in customs (the Manix 2 came right through after it was checked) -- I had pretty much written it off as a "for sure" loss. But today, I got the slip of paper -- I can pick it up at the post office tomorrow. My etched Cricket also arrived today, unmolested (and I love it).

So I'm 3 for 3 and feeling good about life right now. Apparently the GB was a close call, however, and required two weeks of intensive scientific analysis to determine that it would not have a corrupting influence on the nation. :)
jase74

Post by jase74 »

Metric wrote:Another update:

I was getting very worried about my Gayle Bradley, it having spent nearly two weeks in customs (the Manix 2 came right through after it was checked) -- I had pretty much written it off as a "for sure" loss. But today, I got the slip of paper -- I can pick it up at the post office tomorrow. My etched Cricket also arrived today, unmolested (and I love it).

So I'm 3 for 3 and feeling good about life right now. Apparently the GB was a close call, however, and required two weeks of intensive scientific analysis to determine that it would not have a corrupting influence on the nation. :)
Good news on that! Let's hope other Spydie lovers will fare well....
Cheers

Jase