Got My Tenacious today

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Got My Tenacious today

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I got my long awaited tenacious today. It gives the the fix I need to last until my orange military and my manix2 get here. Seriously though, I was not expecting the fit and finish of the tenacious to be this good. I was expecting really just fair to middling F&F but boy, was I surprised. Blade was centered, hair popping sharp out of the box, no imperfections (to my noobie but OCD eyes), and the torx screws on the construction were in very good condition( not crap at all, as I read on some threads), the g10 scales were smoother than my military(my only other g10 spydie at the moment.

The size of the tenacious was quite what I expecting and the ergos fit me quite well. I would be happy to EDC this knife and it will displace the endura for my utility knife for the moment. Thanks a lot Spyderco and Sal for this very affordable and excellent knife.
cckw

Post by cckw »

The Byrd raven G-10 is similar in size with the same blade steel and construction style but more ergonomic and a lower price, It doesn't get any love cuz the hole isn't round
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That reminds me I also have a crossbill on order. funny i kinda forgot...also kinda won a byrd crow in ebay. dunno if it'll ever get here.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

cckw wrote:The Byrd raven G-10 is similar in size with the same blade steel and construction style but more ergonomic and a lower price, It doesn't get any love cuz the hole isn't round
I have both, and I disagree. Ergos are certainly a matter of preference. However, there's no question that the Raven is slimmer in the hand. The TEN-acious is more hand-filling. It's simply quite a bit more comfortable, for me. ;)

The FFG blade of the TEN-acious is much more appealing to my eye. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable ones here as to whether it cuts better. :D Still, that's not to say that the double grind of the Raven is not sexy in it's own right.

While the liner of the latter is just fine, it in NO WAY approaches the bank-vault-like THWACK of the TEN-acious opening up. Not even close. Believe it or not, the TEN-acious is actually a bit more compact when closed, to say nothing of more edge available to you when opened.

I'd LIKE to see the Comet hole reversed, where the 'beak' portion wouldn't seem so out-of-place when you open it. However, it's certainly functional enough, and I won't fault an otherwise nice Byrd for that. ;)
jase74

Post by jase74 »

VictorLouis wrote:I have both, and I disagree. Ergos are certainly a matter of preference. However, there's no question that the Raven is slimmer in the hand. The TEN-acious is more hand-filling. It's simply quite a bit more comfortable, for me. ;)

The FFG blade of the TEN-acious is much more appealing to my eye. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable ones here as to whether it cuts better. :D Still, that's not to say that the double grind of the Raven is not sexy in it's own right.

While the liner of the latter is just fine, it in NO WAY approaches the bank-vault-like THWACK of the TEN-acious opening up. Not even close. Believe it or not, the TEN-acious is actually a bit more compact when closed, to say nothing of more edge available to you when opened.

I'd LIKE to see the Comet hole reversed, where the 'beak' portion wouldn't seem so out-of-place when you open it. However, it's certainly functional enough, and I won't fault an otherwise nice Byrd for that. ;)
I certainly agree that the "TEN-acious" is more "hand-filling" ;)
I suspect you like 'em big! :D :D
Cheers

Jase

Post by Halfneck »

Handled a Tenacious at PWYP and came away impressed with it. Guy using it is in the Navy and a terrific wood carver. He was very positive about the knife. He also did a write-up of it for the Woodsmonkey website.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
DHart

Post by DHart »

Tenacious is a sweet knife at a great price. Perhaps a bit big for some folks (like me) for EDC, but a wonderful knife nonetheless.

I find it's smaller twin brother, the Persistence, a little better sized for my overall preference.

If I can just quit slicing my thumb tip on closing the very-sharp, voracious bugger! I've been a little too lax THREE TIMES in making sure that my thumb tip is clear of the liner lock when folding the blade closed. Fairly small cuts, but bad enough to cease my knife opening with the thumb for several days each time. Of course, playing with it constantly can lead to such things! ;)
jase74

Post by jase74 »

DHart wrote:Tenacious is a sweet knife at a great price. Perhaps a bit big for some folks (like me) for EDC, but a wonderful knife nonetheless.

I find it's smaller twin brother, the Persistence, a little better sized for my overall preference.

If I can just quit slicing my thumb tip on closing the very-sharp, voracious bugger! I've been a little too lax THREE TIMES in making sure that my thumb tip is clear of the liner lock when folding the blade closed. Fairly small cuts, but bad enough to cease my knife opening with the thumb for several days each time. Of course, playing with it constantly can lead to such things! ;)
Yeap I agree..i've nicked myself quite a few times...it's a dangerous blade indeed... ;)
Cheers

Jase

Post by 224477 »

Sweet Timberline SS collaboration :) There is very few echo on those in general. I can see a nice sliding knife on the left, 1st picture, my dad had same I think, made in Russia.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
addylo

Post by addylo »

Agree that the Tenacious is a great fit and finish for an budget price point. In my opinion they are seriously under-valued. (Psst - don't anyone tell Sal I said that! ;) )

It's also the only knife that's ever seriously bitten me. Be extra careful with one-handed closes!

I would LOVE to see a Tenacious with S30V and everything else identical. That would be one sweet knife!
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

DHart wrote: I've been a little too lax THREE TIMES in making sure that my thumb tip is clear of the liner lock when folding the blade closed. Fairly small cuts,...
Man, this weirds me out reading this, and from more than one poster. I press the liner with my thumb, and push the blade with my index finger until the kick{?} bumps onto my thumb. THEN, I get the thumb outta the way and finish closing with my finger. I just did it again right now, and I can't see how anyone can get bit. :confused:
butterknife

Post by butterknife »

The tenacious has bitten my middle finger a few times now. But mostly just back when I first got it. It's been my EDC for the last two months, and I really love it. Last weekend, it saw a lot of use. Used it to remove some splinters, open feed bags, get to the inner bark of a tree, start a fire, and show off to the other guys. So far, it's exceeded it's worth many times over.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Whilst I can certainly see the potential to be bitten on closing a Tenacious I have managed to keep my didgits out of its jaws. Love that maximum edge thing though.
What par would you guys put the 8Cr13MoV blade steel on, or where in a scale of steels?
O.
DHart

Post by DHart »

VictorLouis wrote:Man, this weirds me out reading this, and from more than one poster. I press the liner with my thumb, and push the blade with my index finger until the kick{?} bumps onto my thumb. THEN, I get the thumb outta the way and finish closing with my finger. I just did it again right now, and I can't see how anyone can get bit. :confused:
It's no problem to close the knife without getting cut.

But to get cut, you just have to do it repetitively, fairly quickly, and while paying more attention to something else. ;) See... you kind of have to "work" at it. :eek:

Do it carefully while paying full attention and you probably won't get cut.
Be kind... everyone you meet is fighting battles you have no awareness of.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

DHart wrote: But to get cut, you just have to do it repetitively, fairly quickly, and while paying more attention to something else. .... you kind of have to "work" at it. :eek:
As with everything, practice - practice ! :D
DHart

Post by DHart »

VictorLouis wrote:As with everything, practice - practice ! :D
Yes, so true! :D
Be kind... everyone you meet is fighting battles you have no awareness of.
Resist

Post by Resist »

The Tenacious was my first Spyderco knife and I also really like it. My only suggestion would be to have the same handle that the Stretch uses, that one really grips nicely.

I recently bought the Stretch in VG-10 and ZDP-189, sadly they had warping issues with the blades. I returned them for replacements and their blades were also warped. I went through 5 Stretch's and all had warped blades. Unlike my Tenacious which has a perfectly straight blade, go figure.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I have had a Tenacious for awhile. It always seems a bit big for EDC at work but it's a great knife. Last week I snagged a Persistence and the knife is just perfect for my work EDC. I am really liking it.

The only criticism I have is that the screws are a bit soft. After I changed the clip over to left hand carry, now they are ragged and snag on things from being taken off and put back on. It also came a bit stiff but after opening and closing a 100 times or so it has loosened right up.

Other than that you just can't beat it for the price.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Resist wrote: I recently bought the Stretch in VG-10 and ZDP-189, sadly they had warping issues with the blades. I returned them for replacements and their blades were also warped. I went through 5 Stretch's and all had warped blades. Unlike my Tenacious which has a perfectly straight blade, go figure.
Yikes!...I'm shopping for a Stretch now. You say this happened recently?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
tac

Post by tac »

The Tenacious is a terrific knife, and even more so at its price point. Fit and finish are on par with everything else Spyderco makes. The only substantial difference from the higher end knives is the 8Cr13MoV blade steel, but the nice thing about that steel is how easy it is to resharpen. Really like that knife. :)