Rock Lobster: Ugly or beautiful?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Rock Lobster: Ugly or beautiful?

A thing of BEAUTY!
49%
Meh, it just doesn't do anything for me...
39%
Holy **** that's ugly!
12%

Total votes: 131

dialex

Post by dialex »

This thing is so ugly you have to have one... ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

dialex wrote:This thing is so ugly you have to have one... ;)
Love that answer! :p

But I do understand how some really think it is ugly, all the shapes are very unorthodox and weirdish but that's enough to make me love it. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

Aren't all Spyderco's a little ugly? I think it is one of the requirements. :)

Ugly goes good with performance.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
brj

Post by brj »

the Rocklobster is awesome, the price tag is ugly as he|| :o
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

brj wrote:the Rocklobster is awesome, the price tag is ugly as he|| :o
Yea the price on it is pretty high for the materials. Luckily I was able to pick one up slightly used for a more suitable price, they pop up every now and then, you just gotta be quick. ;)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... and to me the Spyderco Rock Lobster is BEAUTIFUL!
Donut wrote:Aren't all Spyderco's a little ugly? I think it is one of the requirements. :)

Ugly goes good with performance.
Oh, yes, good point! Most knives out there don't look like a :spyder: . And, things of truly high performance, such as an Iowa class battleship and a M1A1 Abrams tank, aren't necessarily the prettiest things to look at, but, man, do they perform! Both take a licking and dish out the punishment right back! Spyderco knives fit that analogy just fine.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I love the look of the knife and I would love to own and use one but it isnt anywhere near the top of my want list.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

brj wrote:the Rocklobster is awesome, the price tag is ugly as he|| :o
And now that were on the subject. Does anyone have any insight of why the Rock Lobster is so expensive?
It's made in Seki with VG10 and G10, whereas for example a standard Millie is made in Golden with S30V and G10, but the Millie still is way cheaper.
Why is that?

Ok I found an actual sal quote from the "Rock Lobster is out!!" -thread
(http://www.spiderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37878):

sal wrote:The knife was expensive to us. I believe the nested liners are the main difference. The maker in Seki (different maker from Barong) is the only one in Seki that can even make nested liners.

We had hoped to make it in Golden, but capacity issues would have taken even longer.

The G-10 is made in the USA and machined in the USA before being shipped to Seki.

It's a really beautiful piece. Jens did a nice job.

sal
http://www.spiderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=33
LaBella

Post by LaBella »

I voted "Holy **** that's ugly!" BUT had one of the originals when Jens first came out with them. If I could get a Jens one framelock I think I would be in Heaven :cool:

Ron LaBella
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Just used it this evening on a nice juicy steak. A couple of times today I forgot and tried to open it left handed. No go. Definitely not lefty friendly.
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Momma said if I couldn't say anything nice not to say anything at all ;)

Congrats to those who like it, as for me... Just not my bag.
Vic
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I like the look of mine, I don't mind it's "righthandedness", but I do think that it does not feel that great in the hand.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Its beautiful, its aesthetic is completely dominated by pure function and ergonomics. What is more beautiful than that?
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

monsterdog wrote:Its beautiful, its aesthetic is completely dominated by pure function and ergonomics. What is more beautiful than that?
Usually I agree but in this case the handholding isn't exactly right. The wide choil-like openning in the handle is awkwardly between 2 and 3 fingers wide, and the back corner of this opening could have been rounded more. A few of my friends shared my opinion when I asked them to hold it.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Dagon wrote:Usually I agree but in this case the handholding isn't exactly right. The wide choil-like openning in the handle is awkwardly between 2 and 3 fingers wide, and the back corner of this opening could have been rounded more. A few of my friends shared my opinion when I asked them to hold it.
Well, I'm Danish, and of course Jens obviously designed this for Danish hands ;) It fits perfectly I have to say.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

monsterdog wrote:Well, I'm Danish, and of course Jens obviously designed this for Danish hands ;) It fits perfectly I have to say.
Well Jens is a big guy with big hands, so that's how he designs his knives.
It works best with big hands, but I would guess that small hands would do well also with 3 fingers in the choil.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Big bada pass, on that dog. :eek:
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
BW_BW

Post by BW_BW »

I've never seen the knife in person, but judging from the pictures I think that a lot of its beauty comes from the simple shapes and the symmetry.

When closed the knife exhibits bilateral symmetry (if I'm remembering my geometry correctly). The front and back of the closed knife appear to match up perfectly. The simple hexagonal shape is also appealing, with the two ends curving up gently.

The open knife directly follows the lines in the closed knife. Now the whole knife has a slight S-curve to it. The middle of the 'S' is right at the pivot. To me, the wide and (mostly) un-tapered blade fits perfectly with the chunky handle.

I like it. :)
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I voted beautiful, because this thing just screams function! :cool:

Ookami
________
Washington Marijuana Dispensaries
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

BW_BW wrote:I've never seen the knife in person, but judging from the pictures I think that a lot of its beauty comes from the simple shapes and the symmetry.

When closed the knife exhibits bilateral symmetry (if I'm remembering my geometry correctly). The front and back of the closed knife appear to match up perfectly. The simple hexagonal shape is also appealing, with the two ends curving up gently.

The open knife directly follows the lines in the closed knife. Now the whole knife has a slight S-curve to it. The middle of the 'S' is right at the pivot. To me, the wide and (mostly) un-tapered blade fits perfectly with the chunky handle.

I like it. :)
What a detailed analysis on the aesthetics.
The Rock Lobster surely is something else.