Leafstorm question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freeman7

Leafstorm question

Post by freeman7 »

Just got two Leafstorms today. They are subtly, not dramatically, different. One has a scale that has "pinholes" with an obvious textured feel. The blade on this one is gritty on opening/closing and the lock moves inward quite a bit when the knife is "gripped." The other has a scale that has the pinholes visually present but the surface feels much less textured...I like it better. The blade on this one is smooth and the lock more solid. I am curious about the scales on other forumite's Leafstorms.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I havent got mine as of yet , :( but Ive ordered two :cool:
So sorry , Iam no help ...........dj
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

Will let you know Friday when I get home to my Leafstorm.....
________
Rhode island medical marijuana dispensary
________
condo Pattaya
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Clarification: My description using the word "pinholes" was not terribly good. The finish is more like pebble-grain. Sort of like a football, I think.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I just got my Leafstorm. First impression wasn't that great. Right off, I wasn't seeing myself carrying this knife.

Mine had excessive oil oozing from the pivot, and it appeared to have some debris or particles in it (yellow with black colors). The opening action was fairly tight and gritty too. However, the action is smoothing up and loosing slightly with repeated opening.

My lockbar makes a creaking noise (galling?). Maybe some of that is because of the slowed opening from the tight action, resulting in the loack not engaging fully? It's moving as far across as the thickness of the lockbar too at the moment, though again that might be from oil that is getting onto the back of the tang.

I can't comment on the scale pattern differences, as I have only the one. Mine has a much smoother srface than the usual G-10 though.

I'll continue to handle it, and see if my impression of the model improves.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

Mine came pretty oily too, but I have noticed that with a couple different Spydercos including my new FFG CF Manix 2. Lock is solid and very smooth.

My scales are pretty smooth, just the lightest hint of texture. Only issue I have noticed with them is that they show scuffs really quickly. After EDCing mine for a few days in my back pocket, I could see where the butt-end of the scale was rubbing against my pants somehow. It looks like a white stain on the G-10. Kind of a bummer, but it's still a pretty cool knife and I plan on keeping it and working it into my EDC rotation.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Yes, both of mine were very oily. But even with the oil, not smooth to open. Comparing the latest two Spydies I have aquired, the Bob T is more my style of knife.
subrosa

Post by subrosa »

My Leafstorm arrived with a ton of oil on the pivot...a lot more then most knives, but whatever...it comes off.

The scale was extremely smooth, not really my thing, I like grippy g-10. I am sure you can etch or rough up the scale for some extra grip.

I solved all the issues with a good wipe-down and a custom proto scale from Wilkins :D
Current Spyders - Leafstorm, Native, Forum Native 2009 and H1 ladybug
Spyders on a Plane - none :spyder:
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I don't think I like this knife enough to invest in a custom scale. Good thing I resisted the temptation to order a custom version before handling the Spydie.
alanforbes

Post by alanforbes »

first, I really like this knife and the way it looks, it's size. the problem i am having is with the vertical blade play. the pivot has to be tightened to the point where the knife does not open easily and definitely could not do a spydie drop opening. the ti lock bar is very thin, and it kind of bounces off the stop. it does not lock up like my sebenza, ti-sage, or other reeves lock knives. i cannot tell if that is just because of this lock design, i have not seen such a thin lock bar. is anyone else having problems w blade play/lock up?

thanks for your input. i love this knife, the ergos are not as bad as i have seen people write, but i have to frequently adjust it (tighten it) in order for it not to rattle up and down. the lock up seems safe, but only if the pivot is very tight.