Why no mini versions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Medic

Why no mini versions?

Post by Medic »

for example, the caly 3 in a smaller version? or something "not so noticeable" for carrying on campus, or for carrying at those certain locations where you dont want people to really see thjat you have a knife, HOWEVER, still big enough to perform any EDC task and strong. I understand that there are smaller knives out there such as the dragonfly and jester, but they simply arent the caly 3 and everyone knows that. the military has a mini version which is the para, why not any other knives in the spyderco line up that are just a tad bit more EDC friendly?
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

Have you seen Urban and leafstorm or really small the Bug?
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Medic wrote:for example, the caly 3 in a smaller version? or something "not so noticeable" for carrying on campus, or for carrying at those certain locations where you dont want people to really see thjat you have a knife, HOWEVER, still big enough to perform any EDC task and strong. I understand that there are smaller knives out there such as the dragonfly and jester, but they simply arent the caly 3 and everyone knows that. the military has a mini version which is the para, why not any other knives in the spyderco line up that are just a tad bit more EDC friendly?
A Kopa would be the best solution to that. It is very similar to the Caly 3 in blade shape, grind, and handle shape. In fact, I often think of the Caly 3 as a scaled up Kopa. The bolster and scales construction also makes it far less likely to be misconstrued as anything other than a simple pocket knife by the general public if you do need to use it. And, as anyone who as used one can attest, they're tough little buggers to boot.

The jigged bone Kopa is the one I'd recommend as a user. It can still be found at reasonable prices and offers the best traction of any of the Kopa variants. Damned good looking too, and it's a material which exemplifies the "traditional pocketknife" look that puts NKPs at ease. If you're not ready to take the plunge, the upcoming squash jigged bone version should be its equal.

Funny, in a way, that Spyderco's marketing of these as "collectible" seems to keep a lot of folks from seeing their potential as pocketknives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

+3 Kopa, the overall shape looks just like a Caly3
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

... and the Ladybug is a scaled down Dragonfly which is a scaled down Delica which is a scaled down Endura... All popular EDCs.

I get your question but, honestly, one of the things that makes :spyder: s so nice is their ergonomics. It's tough to scale down a knife that has great ergos full sized. It's (often) just better to start from scratch designing a new smaller knife. The Lava and Kiwi come to mind.

The Kopa is similar to what a scaled down Caly III would look like but, to me, they are different knives with different target audiences. Paul's comments about it being "collectible" is spot on. I agree that probably keeps people from carrying them or takes them off the table for someone looking for a "user".

Ken
玉鋼
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

kbuzbee wrote:... and the Ladybug is a scaled down Dragonfly which is a scaled down Delica which is a scaled down Endura... All popular EDCs.

I wouldn't quite say a Dragonfly is a scaled down Delica. The Dragonfly seems to be its own breed from the Endura, Delica, Ladybug design.

The Dragonfly doesn't attract much attention, except from my mother who asks ever time I see her why I need to carry such a "big weapon" :rolleyes:
araneae

Post by araneae »

kbuzbee wrote:I get your question but, honestly, one of the things that makes :spyder: s so nice is their ergonomics. It's tough to scale down a knife that has great ergos full sized. It's (often) just better to start from scratch designing a new smaller knife.
Ken
Spot on. I think making a "Mini" version may not provide the best small knife. Some companies basically make a scaled down version of a knife, which is easy to do as you don't have any redesigning to do. I think Spyderco's philosophy is to make each knife the best design it can be.

As far as a mini Caly 3, the Urban may be as close as you can get. The D'fly would be the next closest IMO. The forthcoming G-10 D'fly may be even closer. It also sounds like we have more LBKs coming our way in the future: Chicago, Balance, more Slipits...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm following the laws and not threatening anyone, there comes a point where I feel inclined to look at someone for the fool they are if they recoil away from a Caly 3 sized pocket knife. I'm all for avoiding unnecessary attention in public, but to me there's a line to be drawn between being socially conscious of other people and modifying one's actions to conform to the irrational thoughts of others. For example I wouldn't wave open my Pikal and start a cut with a strong stab into what I'm cutting. But I will slowly pull out my Military, open it, cut what needs cut, and put it back in my pocket without a second thought, whether I'm at home, work, the Post Office or eating lunch in a busy public area. No unnecessary waving around or being flashy, and I never get any looks.

Then again I'm one of those anti-social types that doesn't give much weight to how others perceive me, so take this with a grain of salt or two. :)
bh49

Why no mini versions?

Post by bh49 »

One of my dream knives is baby Persian, Kopa size with 2.5" blade. :p :p :p
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dwong

Post by dwong »

that be very neat....cool ideas bh49
bh49 wrote:One of my dream knives is baby Persian, Kopa size with 2.5" blade. :p :p :p
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Vivi wrote:Maybe it's just me, but if I'm following the laws and not threatening anyone, there comes a point where I feel inclined to look at someone for the fool they are if they recoil away from a Caly 3 sized pocket knife. I'm all for avoiding unnecessary attention in public, but to me there's a line to be drawn between being socially conscious of other people and modifying one's actions to conform to the irrational thoughts of others. For example I wouldn't wave open my Pikal and start a cut with a strong stab into what I'm cutting. But I will slowly pull out my Military, open it, cut what needs cut, and put it back in my pocket without a second thought, whether I'm at home, work, the Post Office or eating lunch in a busy public area. No unnecessary waving around or being flashy, and I never get any looks.

Then again I'm one of those anti-social types that doesn't give much weight to how others perceive me, so take this with a grain of salt or two. :)
It may not by "just you", but that attitude, while perfectly fine in some place and under some circumstances, might get a person fired, conveniently overlooked when an opportunity for promotion arises, or move them to the top of the "positions to eliminate" list. Perhaps you are either independently wealthy, self employed, work in a permissive environment, or just don't care. But some folks simply don't have the luxury of jeopardizing their income that way.

Then too, there are places where taking out a Military, even slowly and deliberately, could cause the person doing so to risk arrest. Again, for whatever reason, that possibility may not bother you since you claim to be anti-social, but at least consider the possibility that it might bother others.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Lowrider wire clip, 3" blade, too noticeable?
It must be like living in a prison camp.

I can partially understand though. After I finished the sheath for my Rock Salt, I wanted to wear it to Church that Sunday, kind of show it off. Well, my pastor wasn't too big on that idea.
I guess everyone needs to make sacrifices of some sort to keep the peace.

If it's an office environment I'd try to take the jewellery angle. If the knife is a piece of craftsmanship that everyone can enjoy, maybe it would get a little more positive reactions. Normally the Caly 3 should fit in that category (at least the CF version), but if the atmosphere is especially scrutinizing, something with some anodized Ti and stabilized wood might do better. Pretty colors seem to catch people off guard on a knife.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I think one of the best "non-weaponized" spydies out there is the MicroDyad. My jigged bone version gets absolutely no strange looks (unless someone thinks that both blades are supposed to be deployed at the same time). It looks like a more modern version of the old case knives.

I know it's not that similar to the caly 3, but it's just a thought...
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Deacon wrote:It may not by "just you", but that attitude, while perfectly fine in some place and under some circumstances, might get a person fired, conveniently overlooked when an opportunity for promotion arises, or move them to the top of the "positions to eliminate" list. Perhaps you are either independently wealthy, self employed, work in a permissive environment, or just don't care. But some folks simply don't have the luxury of jeopardizing their income that way.
Glad I haven't ever worked somewhere like that. My last few jobs I'd regularly use knives like an Endura ZDP, Military and Manix without any issues from staff or customers. Had some people at one of those jobs even ask to use my Endura since the knives int he kitchen didn't even have an edge. If I had my boss threaten to fire me because I carried a legal knife that conformed to my work's policies and I hadn't done anything improper with it, I'd seriously consider quitting. I don't care for irrational types employing me. I don't have a family to support though, I realize not everyone can just up and quit jobs like that.
Then too, there are places where taking out a Military, even slowly and deliberately, could cause the person doing so to risk arrest. Again, for whatever reason, that possibility may not bother you since you claim to be anti-social, but at least consider the possibility that it might bother others.
If people are bothered by me pulling out a knife, cutting something that needs cut, then putting it back in my pocket, that's their problem, not mine. I don't let things like that concern me.

If, as I stated, my knife is legal and I am not threatening anyone, how could I possibly get arrested for it?

Interesting bit of info about the Military. The one and only time I've been stopped by the cops and had them ask if I had any weapons on me, I answered no, but I have a pocket knife in my right front pocket. He took the knife (BG42 Military) and clipped it to his belt. He continued questioning me and my friends, then once he was ready to let us go he handed me the knife back. Not a word about it, he didn't even look at it closely. He could of cared less about it, and this was a cop.