Banning Spydercos etc in Germany?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

Banning Spydercos etc in Germany?

Post by zenheretic »

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost5508947

Word on the street does't look good... :(
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Humm ... Spyderco better start making a 'Danish' version of the Urban, to survive in the EU with such silly legislation. :(
cheez

Post by cheez »

Frankly, it sucks. But they're not banned, you can still own them. You can even carry them, if you have a "legal reason" - which isnt even defined yet :mad:

UK-Penknife can still be carried w/o trouble, no need to go danish yet... ;)

Plus, fixed blades under 12cm bladelength are ok, too - which means I'm mostly carrying the Perrin Streat Beat for now, until the situation is a bit clearer... :D

Blessings, Keno
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz
bh49

Post by bh49 »

That sucks big time. I am sorry for these guys. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Here in the Netherlands automatics and bali's will be banned soon when legislation is certified. Hope the pad will not turn in the same direction but i'm a bit pestimistic.... :(

On the other hand i see knives as tools for my job etc. Never ever used one in a hairy situation. Hope i will never be forced to.. These small number margin criminals mess things up for us common afi's and normal use edc-ers.
:confused:
Maarten
member of FFG Club
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

This legislation is idiotic. The only people that are going to be affected by this are those who wanted to purchase knives for legitimate, legal purposes. Do they really think punk kids are going to start saying, "Aww, if only they hadn't passed that darn law, I'd be able to rob the liquor store! Well, I guess I'll just go home and study and get good grades..."
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

Bill is mad. Jeff "stole" "Bill's girl". Bill is very mad. Bill picks up a kitchen knife and walks toward "his girl's" house. Luckily, a few minutes before he reaches the house, he remembers a law past last year that says you will be arrested if you carry a knife in public. Bill walks back home. Bill puts away the knife.

Another crime thwarted by legislation.
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
jasonp

Post by jasonp »

Spydiman wrote:Bill is mad. Jeff "stole" "Bill's girl". Bill is very mad. Bill picks up a kitchen knife and walks toward "his girl's" house. Luckily, a few minutes before he reaches the house, he remembers a law past last year that says you will be arrested if you carry a knife in public. Bill walks back home. Bill puts away the knife.

Another crime thwarted by legislation.
Hmmmmmmm...
markg

Post by markg »

"Fighting Crime" is the easiest and safest way for a politician to gain popularity and influence. If you live in a culture that has banned firearms (or seriously restricted them) then you are forced to go down the ladder, so to speak. Restrict control or ban some type of weapon, and if firearms are off the table, then the next logical choice are knives/impact weapons (most of which have been restricted already) and the like.

Sadly, politics have never been about making sense or even being effective. They are all for "show" and the job security or advancement of those in the profession...
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

Markg

You are right its not about restricting items its about public popularity and keeping their own well paid noses feeding from the public trough. :mad:
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Lets ban kitchen knives too.
Sell all the food precut and eat with chopsticks.
We'll all be safe and as snug as a bug.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Canada is going to go the same way, we have gun control now, which doesn't look like it will ever go away. I could seriously see them banning certain knives besides switchblades and butterfly knives. I know the city where I live they were thinking of passing a bylaw to ban the carry of all knives in public, concealled or not. I thought we were all supposed to live in free democratic countries, why does it feel like we are being run by communist that don't respect our rights then? Makes you think.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
dialex

Post by dialex »

anon0918 wrote:This legislation is idiotic. The only people that are going to be affected by this are those who wanted to purchase knives for legitimate, legal purposes. Do they really think punk kids are going to start saying, "Aww, if only they hadn't passed that darn law, I'd be able to rob the liquor store! Well, I guess I'll just go home and study and get good grades..."
One single word: "idiots". :mad: It seems our lawmakers simply lack the basic common sense :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
anon0918

Post by anon0918 »

markg wrote:Restrict control or ban some type of weapon, and if firearms are off the table, then the next logical choice are knives/impact weapons (most of which have been restricted already) and the like.
Pretty soon we're down to walking sticks and bits of sturdy cardboard. Maybe we should start a forum where we can rave about our addictions to the latest high-tech tree branches! :D
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Much easier for these folks to go after things rather than other people. To me, R.W. Clark put it very nicely - "Choosing to demonize an inanimate object instead of persecuting the criminals whose behavior is the source of the issue is cowardice as well as the height of moral and intellectual bankruptcy."
~ Nate
markg

Post by markg »

anon0918 wrote:Pretty soon we're down to walking sticks and bits of sturdy cardboard. Maybe we should start a forum where we can rave about our addictions to the latest high-tech tree branches! :D
Heck, we already have to start fighting and defending ourselves with ink pens and flashlights...

I am staying one step ahead and am hard at work on my new...

"Tactical Toothbrush"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Piet.S wrote:Lets ban kitchen knives too.
Sell all the food precut and eat with chopsticks.
We'll all be safe and as snug as a bug.
I have steel chopsticks and I am trained and train people in how to use them defensively...it's an ancient Chinese Weapon as well as an eating tool....you might just have to eat with your hands :eek: ....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

So how long will it take before some bright politician proposes a ban on martial arts Doc?

The sad part is that I'm not even entirely joking now.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Piet.S wrote:So how long will it take before some bright politician proposes a ban on martial arts Doc?

The sad part is that I'm not even entirely joking now.
The real sad part is they don't even have to be bright!....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:The real sad part is they don't even have to be bright!....Doc ;)
True, that was the joking part.