Mule Team?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WhiteWillie

Mule Team?

Post by WhiteWillie »

I have not ordered a Mule Team. I am big fan of smallish fixed blades but have one question on the MT. Is this knife intended to go naked, i.e., without scales or is it being offered as a project knife for us to add scales on our own?
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

They are being offered without scales or sheaths, and being sold directly by Spyderco, in order to keep the cost for each one as low as possible. Each run of them will be a different steel, but otherwise identical, hence the "team" portion of the name. The idea is to give the folks who are curious about the performance of different steels the opportunity to test a number of them on a fixed platform with minimum expense. On the other hand, am sure more than a few of them will be ordered by folks as project knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I am interested in the knives as modification projects and an opportunity to try different steels for a good price.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
GeorgeMaggos

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hey WhiteWillie,

the way I understand it no handles or sheaths will be available from Spyderco for the Mule team series of knives thats for the buyer to do if they choose to.

There are some forum members already working on handles & may make them available to others or you can make your own.

I was going to do a cord wrap on mine until I figure out what to do about handles. Maybe even try to make a sheath as well :)

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

Thanks guys. I guess I'll pass because I've enough small fixed blades to last 3 lifetimes. Furthermore, I have zero skills for making anything beyond a bowl of Shredded Wheat.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I can't wait to find out which steel will sit in my safe the best. :eek: (I found my combo Paul!)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WhiteWillie wrote:Thanks guys. I guess I'll pass because I've enough small fixed blades to last 3 lifetimes. Furthermore, I have zero skills for making anything beyond a bowl of Shredded Wheat.
Nothing appeals to everyone, you're certainly not alone in not finding the Mules to be a "must have".

Back in the day when I had a workshop, tools, and fine motor skills, I'd definitely have played around with at least one or two of them. But those days are long past, am now almost in the same boat as you, aside from my food prep skills perhaps being a bit more advanced. ;) :D
zenheretic wrote:I can't wait to find out which steel will sit in my safe the best. :eek: (I found my combo Paul!)
Probably one of the stainless ones, no fun cracking open a box ten years down the road and finding a pile of red powder instead of a knife. :eek: So what's your combo Zen?

As for me, will definitely get the first #043, and opt out for the rest. That one will go in the "safe" (aka my sock drawer) on the off chance that someday a numbered copy of Mule 1 will be worth something. :rolleyes: On the off chance one of the future ones uses Odin's Eye Damasteel, I will probably try to pick up one or two of those, and find someone to tart it/them up nicely for me. Thinking that .5" wide stainless bolsters, front and rear, with nice slabs of sambar stag in between would about right. :D Then again maybe not, how do they feel in NV about folks waltzing around town with a FB on their hip?
Paul
Manix Guy 2

No Waltzing But Cha Cha !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Not sure about Zen waltzing Deacon , but I can do a mean Cha Cha with a FB in Illinois ! Yes this post is worthless without a picture thank God ! MG2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Not sure about Zen waltzing Deacon , but I can do a mean Cha Cha with a FB in Illinois ! Yes this post is worthless without a picture thank God ! MG2
I hear you MG2, but I have no intention of moving to IL when I retire next year, and somehow I don't think saying "but it's legal in Illinois" would work as an excuse for me in NV. ;) :D
Paul