Who has a broken tip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big footed nick

Who has a broken tip?

Post by Big footed nick »

Who all here has a Spydie with a broken tip? what spyders do you consider to have a breakable tip under normal use ?
:spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

No broken tips here. I did drop a Cara Cara into a tile floor and deform the very tip, but it was nothing the Lansky and Sharpmaker couldn't take care of.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

As with any tool with a point edge, if you use it the fine tips will break off. Almost all my knives have no more fine tips, they still have a tip just maybe 2 mm or so into the tip is gone, I can still stab, just that point is fragile and well on most tools, such as screw drivers, wrenches and stuff, if their are fine points they will break even under normal use.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have broken many tips, at least the portion where the edge bevel comes to a point. In fact, I have trashed the tip on my beater Dodo seven or eight times (I've lost track). But I can't help you with that "under normal use" bit, as my use is generally not considered to be normal.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

The tip of my harpy is chipped(just barely, but enough to piss me off) b/c I dropped it accidentally. It was my most used edc. My yojimbo and chinook II are purely sd and not utility carries...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Break under normal use? None of them ever have for me, and I can say I'm pretty sure none ever will. Prying, or using as a screwdriver isn't normal use and that's about the only way it's going to happen. Tips don't break cutting or slicing or using normally.

I've been using spydercos since around 92 0r 93, and have over a hundred and none of them are especially dainty or prone to breakage if used properly. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
malice4you

Post by malice4you »

http://www.malice4you.com/images/spyderco13_6.jpg - check out the harpy

I got that harpy used like that. I was just messing with it with the sharpmaker, finishing up details to make it look a tad more aggressive and 'finished' - no final photos yet, but this is it after I've worked on it a bit:

http://www.malice4you.com/images/tasman_harpy.jpg

I've been wetsanding the handle and blade to try and get it looking more presentable.

http://www.malice4you.com/images/civilian.jpg
I got my civilian new, but I did use it for some utility work when I was younger and dumber. Trust me, the photo makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. I have yet to send it to spyderco to see what they can do to it for me. I have stopped using this knife.

I also have another used delica with a broken tip coming my way - I won it on ebay for next to nothing. All the knives I own that have major damage were used before I got them, and I got them with expectations to use them hard (so I don't screw up my good knives if I don't have to)

I could imagine that a Delica3 tip could break if used in a stupid manner/dropped when open, but under normal use, I'd imagine that would be difficult. Same for the Police. Seeing what happened to the harpy, I would imagine that the Tasman could see the same fate if it were dropped. If I need to loan out a knife, I'll make sure it's one of the used knives that's already messed up....
carrot

Post by carrot »

I broke the very tip of my Para-Military and Military during what I would consider "normal use" but it is very minimal and should sharpen out fairly quickly as very little came off. Same on my Yojimbo.

The "beak" of my SE Cricket broke off by a good 1mm or slightly more when it went into the laundry still clipped IWB to my jeans.

Nothing else, not even my Caly3 has lost its tip.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Nope....No broken tips here either. :)
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Mastiff wrote:Break under normal use? None of them ever have for me, and I can say I'm pretty sure none ever will. Prying, or using as a screwdriver isn't normal use and that's about the only way it's going to happen. Tips don't break cutting or slicing or using normally.

I've been using spydercos since around 92 0r 93, and have over a hundred and none of them are especially dainty or prone to breakage if used properly. Joe
That depends on what you call normal. ;) Since normal for me includes cutting drywall in a building with steel studs, cutting carpet laid on a concrete floor, and cutting old caulking off the edge of ceramic tiles glued to a concrete block wall, sometimes the tip goes bye-bye without prying or twisting. I just need a blade steel hard and tough enough to cut quartz and I'll have it made :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have an Almite Worker with perhaps 1/32" broken off the tip. It was that way when I bought it. Could be ground out, but have never bothered.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: My wife's dropped both her yojis taking off the teeny tiny final beval tips. I took 'em to work and stabbed roast beefs with them and they penetrate fine so we've not bothered sending 'em in for regrinding. I would if they were mine but she's a bit more performance oriented than I am. To her if they'll work on a bad guy that's all she cares about. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

yablanowitz wrote:That depends on what you call normal. ;) Since normal for me includes cutting drywall in a building with steel studs, cutting carpet laid on a concrete floor, and cutting old caulking off the edge of ceramic tiles glued to a concrete block wall, sometimes the tip goes bye-bye without prying or twisting. I just need a blade steel hard and tough enough to cut quartz and I'll have it made :D
That's like someone saying that they "normally" use their knife for prying :D . Your basically saying that you used the knife to cut concrete, steel studs, and ceramic tiles. I think that can easily be called abuse. However, it probably is normal knife use in that I'd imagine that that's what a majority of knife owners use thier knives for.

I remember when I bought my Old Timer Trapper, the instructions said to never stab a hard surface (wood was specifically mentioned), or use the knife to pry with, or as a screwdriver. Such practice were consider outside the normal uses of a knife and would void the warranty. Somewhere along the line that Trapper developed a bent tip :o .
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ghostrider wrote:That's like someone saying that they "normally" use their knife for prying :D . Your basically saying that you used the knife to cut concrete, steel studs, and ceramic tiles. I think that can easily be called abuse. However, it probably is normal knife use in that I'd imagine that that's what a majority of knife owners use thier knives for.

I remember when I bought my Old Timer Trapper, the instructions said to never stab a hard surface (wood was specifically mentioned), or use the knife to pry with, or as a screwdriver. Such practice were consider outside the normal uses of a knife and would void the warranty. Somewhere along the line that Trapper developed a bent tip :o .
That's why in my first post I said my use wasn't considered normal by most people. :D

They are tools, made for cutting things. Sometimes when I am cutting things, other things get in the way. That's life. I don't whine about it, I just go on using the tool.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yablanowitz, I have a carpet cutter and a box of 250 special carpet cutting disposable razor blades left behind by a professional carpet installation team that does that for a living. It's a very handy cutter and would be perfect for a lot of your jobs. If I didn't use it I'd send it to you. Those disposable, big honking razor blades would save you a lot of wear and tear on your knives. I like sharpening too, but these would keep you from wearing out your good knives. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have carpet knives and utility knives. I used to use them a lot more than I do now. I haven't found one that came out of the package sharp enough to suit me, and I haven't seen one yet that held an edge worth squat. Plus I find all of their ilk too bulky to carry around for the amount of edge they deliver. I know I should use a disposable blade for rough work that will ruin an edge quickly, but a good knife will make it through a job that would have me changing blades on a utility knife several times. Been there, done that, don't have the extra time at work.
KaliGman

Broken Tip

Post by KaliGman »

I broke the tip on my 440V plain edge Gunting. I was being a bit hard on it at the time :rolleyes: . I was practicing with my off hand--when you draw the knife in reverse grip, flip it to forward grip, the tip ends up going beyond your target and being thrust into---enough of that--my wife has enough ammunition without me documenting my stupidity here. Suffice it to say that the knife was not at fault--the Gunting is a really tough knife. I reground the tip a bit and, after a couple of years, finally decided that, though it worked OK, it sure didn't look as good as it used to and the whole knife was in need of a good resharpening, so I sent it in to Spyderco. I got it back this week and it is riding in my right pocket. It looks great.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

yablanowitz wrote:That's why in my first post I said my use wasn't considered normal by most people. :D

They are tools, made for cutting things. Sometimes when I am cutting things, other things get in the way. That's life. I don't whine about it, I just go on using the tool.
He he. The wisdom of experience. :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

all of mine due to my own very hard use policy :D
WARNINS" MAT888 is not a collector but a (ab).user of spydies.
No worry they all reprofile fine on DMT's

they top off somewhat harder then other inferior brands :D .
Not recommanded to let a knivetip hit metal stone or bones :eek:

Just some thoughts. Don't want to start a row.
:cool:
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The Mastiff wrote:Break under normal use? None of them ever have for me, and I can say I'm pretty sure none ever will. Prying, or using as a screwdriver isn't normal use and that's about the only way it's going to happen. Tips don't break cutting or slicing or using normally.

Tip my lil temp broke from cutting down a cardboard box. Tip of MY Strider SNG broke from cuttong some rope.

If you dont consider than normal use, I dont know what ya do. Maybe opening envelopes.