Collector's Club Questions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Collector's Club Questions.

Post by Zatx »

I've read the collectors club is limited to 200 individuals. Are all of those 200 slots filled?

I've also read that if you want to be in the collector club you must commit to purchasing every new model that is released. Is the price you pay MSRP or discounted?

Are you automatically billed for the model and then it's shipped to your designated dealer?

How many new models are released each year? I imagine if there are enough you could run into the thousands of dollars.

And finally, if there are vacancies in that magic 200 number, how does one join?

Thanks again for your time.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

first off, welcome to the forum. as far as the answer to your question try the search function. there are many posts on the subject.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Zatx wrote:I've read the collectors club is limited to 200 individuals. Are all of those 200 slots filled?
I don't know, but you might try emailing Ruth at rdurant@spyderco.com She's in charge of the Collector's Club.
Zatx wrote:I've also read that if you want to be in the collector club you must commit to purchasing every new model that is released.
Depends on which tier you choose. There is the "All Variants" tier in which you agree to purchase every model/edge type/color that is released. It's a big financial obligation, because in the cases of some models, there can be 6-8 variants at a time.

There is the second tier "New Models" only, which is exactly as it sounds, only one variant of any new model coming out. Usually the SE model, so if you don't like SE, go for the All Variants.
Zatx wrote:Is the price you pay MSRP or discounted?
Depends on the dealer you choose. Very rarely will a dealer actually charge full MSRP.
Zatx wrote:Are you automatically billed for the model and then it's shipped to your designated dealer?
Depends on the dealer again. I usually receive an email from mine letting me know when my knife(knives) are in, and I give them a response letting them know to go ahead and charge me.
Zatx wrote:How many new models are released each year? I imagine if there are enough you could run into the thousands of dollars.
Deacon has better grasp of how many models come out per year. Thus far this year, I've only had 4 knives come out(Captain, Caly 3, Street Beat, Forester) but I'm only a "New Models" collector. The Pikal should be coming soon, so that will be the fifth.

Might be a few more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Zatx wrote:And finally, if there are vacancies in that magic 200 number, how does one join?
Contact Ruth at the above email address, and if there are any vacancies, she'll forward you the appropriate paperwork for joining the club.

Good luck :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
markg

Post by markg »

The Captain was last year... I missed it, the Caly 3 was also last year, I think early Nov (that was my first collector's club knife).

This year also included the Ladybug 3 and T-Mag, along with the Forester. Three so far, however they were a bit pricey. For those three (and not at full MSRP) I shelled out about $430.

It is pretty easy to set up, being in the club. You will need to pick a dealer who handles your knives, and they are shipped to them, then to you. Part of the agreement is that you take all the knives in your "tier." If your dealers holds you to that, is sort of up to them. I believe in honoring the agreement, however.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

markg wrote:The Captain was last year... I missed it, the Caly 3 was also last year, I think early Nov (that was my first collector's club knife).

This year also included the Ladybug 3 and T-Mag, along with the Forester. Three so far, however they were a bit pricey. For those three (and not at full MSRP) I shelled out about $430.
I knew I missed some. :o
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only other point worth mentioning, is that if you choose a "New Models Only" membership, the serrated version is normally designated as the "main piece" on any model that is due to be released in SE and PE, or SE, CE, and PE. If a model is going to be made only in CE and PE, then the CE version is normally the main piece. You will only received a PE blade when, like most collaboration models lately, a knife is only going to be available that way.

For some that issue is a deal breaker, for others it's a plus.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Thanks guys for all of the great answers. I tried the search function, but must not have worded my search correctly as the first 3 pages of responses I went through didn't answer these questions.

I will indeed contact Ruth as you suggested. I am already hopelessly addicted to the :spyder: