SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by spydutch »

David, you really made my Sunday with this post. I haven't been over here since ages only to find this gem.
As a full serrations nut since 2005, I very much appreciate this.
I had a plan to make one of these post myself but you did a better job than I ever could since I can't post pics anymore on this forum (photobucket broke down for me)
Nice to see I'm not the only one with those wavy serrations on my Salts. It sure was a labour of love, but very well worth it.
Thanks man!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spydutch wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 am
David, you really made my Sunday with this post. I haven't been over here since ages only to find this gem.
I had a plan to make one of these post myself but you did a better job than I ever could since I can't post pics anymore on this forum (photobucket broke down for me)
Nice to see I'm not the only one with those wavy serrations on my Salts. It sure was a labour of love, but very well worth it.
Thanks man!

Here viewtopic.php?p=1332284#p1332284 is shown how you easily can post pics
... and yes, Davids thread is great and serrations are too ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 pm
spydutch wrote:
Thanks man!

Wartstein my friend serrations are functionally excellent. I prefer combo edges.
SpyderEdgeForever

David hello friend. What is your opinion of knife makers cutting serrations onto the top half of a knife blade rather than the bottom half? Would that improve cutting performance?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 pm
spydutch wrote:

Wartstein my friend serrations are functionally excellent. I prefer combo edges.

SEF, my friend, so you´re back?! That´s good!! :grin-big eyes :clinking-mugs

/ Actually my ffg comboedge Endura ("thin red line") really made me appreciate comboedges again! Very useful indeed. Though I think at the end of the day I still prefer full SE with that short (but not TOO short) PE section towards the tip.

Just lately though I came across a task where PE is actually clearly superior over PE: Had to scrape some sticky residue from a wooden surface - no way SE could do that sufficiently (same goes for scraping resin of dwarf mountain pines from my palms - sometimes one has to grab that shrubs when climbing, cause they cover all of the rock at some patches).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My wife and I visited a friend today at her new home. We helped her load a bunch of corrugated cardboard into her car. A few very large boxes needed to be cut up to fit in her subcompact vehicle. I used my K390 SE Endura to make swift work of these.

As I had noticed with my Endela SE, Spyderedges are superior for this work because the scallops trap the work such that the blade stays engaged rather than pushing out of the cut. This matters more when you don’t have a supporting surface for the work and have to cut in free air, with only a bit of support by the lower edge flaps resting on the ground. I could cut through two layers of heavy three-layer corrugated at once under less-than-ideal conditions and it was easy!
SpyderEdgeForever

Bill and anyone else, a fisherman told me plain edges work best for filleting and butchering fish but serrated work best for cords and line. Is that true?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I don’t have much experience cutting fish, so cannot comment on that with any authority. Hopefully Lance (Surfgringo on here) can weigh in on the fish question. Cutting cord/rope is generally superior with serrated edges, that task I have done enough to know about.