The Sage: A stellar EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: The Sage: A stellar EDC

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 am
Said it before:

To me the Sage 5 looks to be the "better Para 3" - thinner blade, but perhaps a bit more robust tip (?), less thumb ramp and a handle that maximizes the available grip area behind the choil as much as possible - to me important in such a small folder, and the Para 3 does rather the opposite with the pm2-ish pinky hook that actually shortens the grip area.

When there was the time when the Para 3 seemed to get all the variants, sprints, exclusives,steels I pesonally would have preferred the Sage 5 in that spot as a small comp.lock folder where one could try out those variations.

The Sage also looks very nice and harmonic in its lines - I know that eventually I´ll have to get and try a Sage 5 LW as a more urban, small comp.lock EDC folder.
I think you would really like a Lwt. model . If you like the Chap , I don’t see a reason why you would be disappointed with the Sage . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
I think you would really like a Lwt. model . If you like the Chap , I don’t see a reason why you would be disappointed with the Sage . Dan
I certainly would not be disappointed with a Sage 5 LW as a more urban, small EDC!

But I guess actually for mostly other reasons than those why I love the Chap...

which is the best backlock I know of, the thin blade and the overall shape that makes 100% sense for me in the smaller Chap... while in the larger, longer handled Sage I might find myself rather wishing for no choil, since the handle probably overall is long enough for four fingers if it had no choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I would like a production sage 5 LW in cru-wear.
I'm also with wartstein, a larger, no choil sage LW would be perfect.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Please keep the choil on smaller pocket knives sal
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
R100

Post by R100 »

Wartstein wrote:
Said it before:

To me the Sage 5 looks to be the "better Para 3" - thinner blade, but perhaps a bit more robust tip (?), less thumb ramp and a handle that maximizes the available grip area behind the choil as much as possible - to me important in such a small folder, and the Para 3 does rather the opposite with the pm2-ish pinky hook that actually shortens the grip area.

When there was the time when the Para 3 seemed to get all the variants, sprints, exclusives,steels I pesonally would have preferred the Sage 5 in that spot as a small comp.lock folder where one could try out those variations.

The Sage also looks very nice and harmonic in its lines - I know that eventually I´ll have to get and try a Sage 5 LW as a more urban, small comp.lock EDC folder.
I know you don't like the Para 3 but it is actually longer behind the choil than the Sage 5 and provides a better grip for large hands. I only get a 3 finger grip behind the choil either way but the extra length of the Para 3 locks it better into my grip.

It is solid and chunky but I don't carry the Sage 5 much because the grip behind the choil is too small and makes me feel like I will squeeze it forward out of my grip. The Para 3 on the other hand gives quite a secure grip and I also prefer it's shallower choil compared with the Sage. I don't notice any difference in slicing performance due to blade stock thickness. Neither is a Chaparral in that regard.

Dan
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Added these scales to a Sage1 last month

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Said it before:

I know you don't like the Para 3 but it is actually longer behind the choil than the Sage 5 and provides a better grip for large hands. I only get a 3 finger grip behind the choil either way but the extra length of the Para 3 locks it better into my grip.

It is solid and chunky but I don't carry the Sage 5 much because the grip behind the choil is too small and makes me feel like I will squeeze it forward out of my grip. The Para 3 on the other hand gives quite a secure grip and I also prefer it's shallower choil compared with the Sage. I don't notice any difference in slicing performance due to blade stock thickness. Neither is a Chaparral in that regard.

Dan

Thanks for the pic and i your points!

- It is not that I "don´t like the Para 3", though I am afraid it may sound like that sometimes (my bad!)... in fact it is a cool little knife, and I´d still take it over most small folders of any other brand!
It is just that I sometimes felt like putting a "realistic counterweight" into the mix when the Para 3 got praised to the skies, and it seemed like it would get all the variants, sprints, exclusives in the small Spydie arena. To me personally, though really nice, it still "suffers" a bit from kind of "having" to take over features of the PM2 (being a scaled down version), which perhaps fit the PM2 perfectly, but not necessarily the Para 3 (imo the "Endura / Delica" approach is better here)

- To your points:

- Yes, the overall Para 3 handle is longer than the Sage handle- but the grip area of the Para 3 between front guard and "pinky hook" is shorter than the grip area between the Sage front guard and its non restricted (by no pinky hookI handle end.
When I had my Para 3 (I tried the version I knew would suit my likings best: LW in SE) this did not feel to good, the "pinky hook" was much less ergonomic than a "flat" handle end when gripping the knife behind the choil. I actually always had to use the choked up grip - and when my hand is locked in by the index finger in the choil already, I don´t need a pinky hook anymore in the first place.

This obviously is different for you, which is perfectly fine!

- Blade stock thickness: I actually do notice a difference between thinner and thicker blades quite some times, especially when cutting through thicker matter, in food prep and so on... what I particularily do not find perfect in the Para 3 is the combo of thick blade stock, but rather fragile tip: In my experience, if a blade "breaks" / snaps at all, it is on the very tip, and with this combo one can´t potentially not really make use of the super-sturdy blade stock, cause the tip would snap way before that thick stock could come into play.
This looks to be "better" (for me!) in the Sage...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)