Superhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Superhawk

Post by VashHash »

Pics are definitely needed in this thread

And the edge length/choil comparison.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you take a picture of the spine, despite having the flatter grind and I believe thinner BTE, the Superhawk is a thick knife. Thicker at the spine than the Spyderhawk.

Police4 left Superhawk right
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:34 pm
This knife would make a GREAT gardening knife if produced in Magnacut. There are NO really good gardening knives on the market today produced by Spyderco.

All of the hawkbill knives are serrated and/or high corrosion resistance which require frequent sharpening. We gardeners need something that can help us cut veggies off the vine, cut roots out of the ground, and open up containers.
I had to look up the Superhawk, it’s a cool looking knife and would probably be awesome in the garden and in magnacut but I prefer serrations for plants,weeds,vines or fibrous materials…usually I find myself reaching for a Salt although the rock jumper vg10 SE is really good too…I do use PE every now and then as the Native Salt in Magnacut is usually in my pocket but more times than not it’s SE which is easily sharpened on the Sharpmaker…there’s a “Show your vegetable gardens and harvests “ thread if you wanna showcase your handy work 🥕🌽
Redhawk1369

Post by Redhawk1369 »

Just dropping by to encourage another SPYDERHAWK RUN! Better yet put it in production ongoing! Lost my yellow handle original after 10 years of EDC. Cried until the sprint run. Bought two. Lost one and have been carrying lesser knives everyday since but afraid to carry my backup out of fear. The tasman/ harpy/ byrd versions are too small and not a deep enough curve.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The more I read this thread the more I firmly believe that the Superhawk and the old G-10 Harpy both would be excellent Sprint Run candidates. But do make both in PE & SE. If the Superhawk had been available in SE I do truly believe it would still be in the line up to this day.

A Hawkbill in PE is so limited as to what you can do with it. A Hawkbill in SE has so many varied uses that I could make a huge list of practical, viable uses. Again the Superhawk in SE would not only be a great gardening tool there would be multiple uses in the fishing industry. It would also be an excellent companion blade for EDC.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:20 am
The more I read this thread the more I firmly believe that the Superhawk and the old G-10 Harpy both would be excellent Sprint Run candidates. But do make both in PE & SE. If the Superhawk had been available in SE I do truly believe it would still be in the line up to this day.

A Hawkbill in PE is so limited as to what you can do with it. A Hawkbill in SE has so many varied uses that I could make a huge list of practical, viable uses. Again the Superhawk in SE would not only be a great gardening tool there would be multiple uses in the fishing industry. It would also be an excellent companion blade for EDC.
I would be on board still for either model in SE . The Superhawk felt so good in hand and is main reason I still have a Super Leaf . A Salt version of the Spyderhawk in SE would get a lot of time in my pocket landscaping. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:20 am

I would be on board still for either model in SE . The Superhawk felt so good in hand and is main reason I still have a Super Leaf . A Salt version of the Spyderhawk in SE would get a lot of time in my pocket landscaping. MG2
Manixguy I agree with you 100% that the Superhawk for sure had the very best handle of all the Spyderco Hawkbill folders. I do believe that old thread I started back around 2005 entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill" was the catalyst for that Superhawk model when it was launched. Yeah that handle had an excellent grip and just a superb feel to it.

If I ever snag another Superhawk in a trade or if I find one at a gun show it will be one that I'll send to Wiley Knives to have serrations put on it. I've heard their service is pretty good. But I'm still holding out hope that if Sal were ever convinced to do a Sprint Run that he will consider doing a few in SE. Great Point MG!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

1. Never doubt JD when he wants a model rereleased
2. I think both the Superhawk and Superleaf sold poorly and were able to be had for huge discounts at the end
3. JD I need you to push Sal for a Lava redo, any change you see if is permitted
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:40 pm
2. I think both the Superhawk and Superleaf sold poorly and were able to be had for huge discounts at the end
3. JD I need you to push Sal for a Lava redo, any change you see if is permitted
That is a good point , I also think maybe the design was ahead of its time so didn’t get the well deserved reception from enthusiasts. My problem after purchase was the blade was too shallow compared to other Hawkbill models .The construction of the knife was excellent. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
That is a good point , I also think maybe the design was ahead of its time so didn’t get the well deserved reception from enthusiasts. My problem after purchase was the blade was too shallow compared to other Hawkbill models .The construction of the knife was excellent. MG2
And the Superleaf was 4mm thick, honestly it was basically a Spyder-Strider. I was surprised it wasn’t believed during the period when overbuilt was the norm!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:06 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
And the Superleaf was 4mm thick, honestly it was basically a Spyder-Strider. I was surprised it wasn’t beloved during the period when overbuilt was the norm!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
The LAVA model is an interesting consideration for sure. But let's add the G-10 Harpy and a full SE Dodo to the mix while we're at it.

I hadn't even thought of the LAVA model in quite a while. The timing would be great for that model to have a Sprint Run.