Question for CruCarta PM2 owners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PolarCatus

Question for CruCarta PM2 owners

Post by PolarCatus »

Hello all!
Here's couple of questions about the Cruwear Micarta PM2 since I do not have the fortune of having a knife store near me. I love the classy look and don't really plan on customizing it--This is only a couple of questions on the functionality of the knife:

1. How easily does Cruwear rust? I live about 2 miles from the Mediterranean coast where it's quite warm (doesn't snow in winter, damnit!), and I sometimes like to carry my knives IWB. I'm not a particularly corrosive person, though.

2. How does the micarta feel in hand? A block of epoxy or like actual cloth? Does the scale flex actually bother anyone when using/fidgeting with it, or is it a non-issue?

3. Is the micarta handle unsanitary? I go on multi-day hikes and this knife could be used from cutting sausage to whittling so I don't want it to start festering. Oh, and, the maintenance it will receive during these trips consists of wiping with a T-shirt and a rinse in the evening. Is that too hard on the CruWear?

Thanks and merry early Christmas! :)
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but feed us.'
—Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky
Vamais

Re: Question for CruCarta PM2 owners

Post by Vamais »

I like it. In my sweaty pockets where K390 doesn't do so well, Cruwear still hasn't even shown a hint of patina or rust in the 9 months or so I've been carrying it. I do cut food with it, but I make sure to stay away from the pivot when cutting and rinsing both. Old habits. The micarta is fairly smooth, but has more grip than a block of epoxy or smooth G10. Definitely doesn't feel like cloth. Scale flex has never bothered me. I do like how the scales have darkened over time.
45F5DEEE-CFD9-44B6-BB9B-EC3F24454384.jpeg
-AHAB
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

Vamais wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:55 pm
I like it. In my sweaty pockets where K390 doesn't do so well, Cruwear still hasn't even shown a hint of patina or rust in the 9 months or so I've been carrying it. I do cut food with it, but I make sure to stay away from the pivot when cutting and rinsing both. Old habits. The micarta is fairly smooth, but has more grip than a block of epoxy or smooth G10. Definitely doesn't feel like cloth. Scale flex has never bothered me. I do like how the scales have darkened over time.45F5DEEE-CFD9-44B6-BB9B-EC3F24454384.jpeg
So I could count on it to not slip out of my soggy hands? Yay!
A lot of people say that the new scales feel “fuzzy”. Is that the case?
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but feed us.'
Danke

Post by Danke »

3 steels here. All subject to similar use for the same amount of time cutting the same stuff. REX-45 - minor patina. M-4 Noticable dark spots. Cruwear - almost no discernible change.

And yes the micarta scales feel fuzzy/grippy.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

PolarCatus wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:09 pm

So I could count on it to not slip out of my soggy hands? Yay!
A lot of people say that the new scales feel “fuzzy”. Is that the case?
I don't remember what the new scales felt like. Not fuzzy any more, though.
Not grippy like rubber when it's wet, but I think the grip might improve a bit when damp. I think the shape of the handle does most of the job of keeping it in your hand.
-AHAB
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

The PM2 micarta is kind of a mix of your descriptions. It’s like a really stiff upholstery…clothy texture but not “soft” or fuzzy

From a sanitary standpoint, micarta is easy to deal with. For micarta knives I carry a lot, I occasionally rub them down with hand wipes, rinse them off then dry everything. I’m not recommending that AT ALL because it’s impossible to tell what any given compound might do to the color or lack thereof. The point being…micarta is very easy to clean and returns to its factory color/shade pretty reliably (unless it’s crazily stained).

It’s really difficult to try and predict the stainlessness that someone else might get out of a steel…there are so many factors from person to person…use, sweat, cleaning and drying habits, regional climate (as you mentioned)…it’s nearly impossible to predict. What I CAN say is that I live on the east coast of the US and I’m an avid outdoorsman. I don’t have any rust on any of cruwear and the patina has been super minimal. But I also do my best to keep my blades bone dry…so there’s that.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Crucarta PM2 is an incredible model. Personally the "fuzzy" Micarta is different than most Canvas Micarta you experience from other makers. Feels like soft cloth. It does not have that hard rough feel. I prefer the latter, but the softer feel on this model is nice too. I would not worry about slipping on this one. The blocky shape of the handle on the PM2 is actually very effective. Well balanced for a working folder.

Cruwear has to be one of the most stainless of the non-stainless knife steels in production. I have had zero issues with it. Not sure what they are doing with the latest Cruwear batches and this model, but I find the edge holds up incredibly well to some abuse. And a joy to sharpen.

As far as sanitary? Anything you touch can become unsanitary. This is no more of a risk than the standard G10. If you are really concerned about sanitary, grab a salt knife and dip it in some boiling water for a few seconds over the camp fire. Just make sure to bring a torx screw because that can back out some of the screws. Kidding. Not about the torx screw though.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:35 am
The Crucarta PM2 is an incredible model. Personally the "fuzzy" Micarta is different than most Canvas Micarta you experience from other makers. Feels like soft cloth. It does not have that hard rough feel. I prefer the latter, but the softer feel on this model is nice too. I would not worry about slipping on this one. The blocky shape of the handle on the PM2 is actually very effective. Well balanced for a working folder.

Cruwear has to be one of the most stainless of the non-stainless knife steels in production. I have had zero issues with it. Not sure what they are doing with the latest Cruwear batches and this model, but I find the edge holds up incredibly well to some abuse. And a joy to sharpen.

As far as sanitary? Anything you touch can become unsanitary. This is no more of a risk than the standard G10. If you are really concerned about sanitary, grab a salt knife and dip it in some boiling water for a few seconds over the camp fire. Just make sure to bring a torx screw because that can back out some of the screws. Kidding. Not about the torx screw though.
Ooh. That sounds very neat.
*glances at wallet worryingly*
I don’t have much sharpening experience (only ever sharpened my current fairly garbage folder in, what, X46Cr?) and so ease of sharpening sounds very tempting.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Just to add on how stainless cruwear is. I left the PM2 in my motorcycle jacket in a pocket that wasn't water proof. The knife got soaking wet. When I got home after 6/7 hours I noticed the knife was still in my pocket and pulled it out soaking wet. To my pleasant surpise there were just a few tiny superficial spots that I just wiped off. I did take apart the knife to clean, dry and lubricate it. Saltywater is more corrosive but I would not worry too much. Keep it clean and maintained and you will be fine.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve had Cruwear show surface rust just from being carried in my pocket on a hot summer day.

The scales on my Cruwear PM2 definitely have a softer feel to them. They don’t have that “block of epoxy” feeling some other micarta knives have.

On your last question… I don't know but I would imagine it’s as sanitary as any other handle material. This isn’t something I would personally be concerned about. I’d recommend keeping any knife clean in that situation to avoid unsanitary conditions.
- Nick :bug-red
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:05 am
I’ve had Cruwear show surface rust just from being carried in my pocket on a hot summer day.
Was the Cruwear oiled? That does sound a bit worrying.
(Also, are you a corrosive person or is Cruwear just that rust prone?)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PolarCatus wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:11 am
Mushroom wrote:
Am I a corrosive person? Well, depending on who you ask… :grin-squint Kidding but I’m not quite sure. For me, it happens with most carbon steels but I’ve also had this happen with stainless steels like VG10, DLC S30V, and TiN coated 204P so it very well could be something to do with me.

When it happened on my CruCarta PM2, it had probably been a few days since I oiled the blade. Even then, it was just surface rust and cleaned up easily. It doesn’t dissuade me from carrying CruWear blades in hot weather or during physical activity though. I feel as though it would take an ample amount of neglect for corrosion to become an actual problem.
- Nick :bug-red
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:15 pm
PolarCatus wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:11 am
Mushroom wrote:
Am I a corrosive person? Well, depending on who you ask… :grin-squint Kidding but I’m not quite sure. For me, it happens with most carbon steels but I’ve also had this happen with stainless steels like VG10, DLC S30V, and TiN coated 204P so it very well could be something to do with me.

When it happened on my CruCarta PM2, it had probably been a few days since I oiled the blade. Even then, it was just surface rust and cleaned up easily. It doesn’t dissuade me from carrying CruWear blades in hot weather or during physical activity though. I feel as though it would take an ample amount of neglect for corrosion to become an actual problem.
That’s nice. As long as it’s not easily “my God it’s rusted to ****” I’m fine.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

1. How easily does Cruwear rust? I live about 2 miles from the Mediterranean coast where it's quite warm (doesn't snow in winter, damnit!), and I sometimes like to carry my knives IWB. I'm not a particularly corrosive person, though.
Not very easily. I live in the SF Bay Area in California, which is a mediterranean climate. My Cruwear has patina'd less than K390 or Maxemet - just some subtle spots on one knife. My Crucarta PM2 is perfect.
2. How does the micarta feel in hand? A block of epoxy or like actual cloth? Does the scale flex actually bother anyone when using/fidgeting with it, or is it a non-issue?
It feels good, although I'll admit that I like one side better than the other. Compare these photos:
This shows the good side, feels like any other micarta scale.

This shows the bad side, somewhat... unfinished? Hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it, but I'd like to eventually.

The scale flex is not an issue at all, people are just babies.
3. Is the micarta handle unsanitary? I go on multi-day hikes and this knife could be used from cutting sausage to whittling so I don't want it to start festering. Oh, and, the maintenance it will receive during these trips consists of wiping with a T-shirt and a rinse in the evening. Is that too hard on the CruWear?
You can wash micarta, just like you can wash G-10. If you were super worried, you could always apply more of a glossy finish to the micarta by buffing it.

I think that Cruwear is a fantastic steel for hiking, so long as you don't mind a light patina developing in time. If you're super worried about corrosion, maybe wait for the Magnacut PM2 Salt to come out. Otherwise, Cruwear is slightly tougher and more wear-resistant, so it's a better steel in my book.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:39 pm
Not very easily. I live in the SF Bay Area in California, which is a mediterranean climate. My Cruwear has patina'd less than K390 or Maxemet - just some subtle spots on one knife. My Crucarta PM2 is perfect.
It feels good, although I'll admit that I like one side better than the other. Compare these photos:
This shows the good side, feels like any other micarta scale.

This shows the bad side, somewhat... unfinished? Hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it, but I'd like to eventually.

The scale flex is not an issue at all, people are just babies.
You can wash micarta, just like you can wash G-10. If you were super worried, you could always apply more of a glossy finish to the micarta by buffing it.

I think that Cruwear is a fantastic steel for hiking, so long as you don't mind a light patina developing in time. If you're super worried about corrosion, maybe wait for the Magnacut PM2 Salt to come out. Otherwise, Cruwear is slightly tougher and more wear-resistant, so it's a better steel in my book.
Sweet.
I’m not worried about patina; The few other knives I have are all stainless but I realized that I adore the minor dinges, scratches and whatnot accumulated on the handles since they’re, as they say, marks of character. It’s about time I step into the world of carbon steel too!

My wallet is now in incredible danger.

Edit: My brother in Christ what have you been cutting
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

PolarCatus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:20 am
: :rofl

Just sharpening a pencil in that top photo.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm
PolarCatus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:20 am
: :rofl

Just sharpening a pencil in that top photo.
Phew.
I thought you were dragging it through melted tarmac or something and permanently stained that lovely thing.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I'm waiting for the new Cobalt Blue G-10 model with SPY27 steel but couldn't resist getting this one to try out. I'm enjoying the Stretch XL in Cruwear so fancied a PM2 with the same steel and unique scales.

But I'll still go for the SPY27 model later, as this is the ideal size of a knife for me nowadays and I really want to try out Spyderco's own steel.

Looking forward to seeing the Micarta scales. I've never had had a Spyderco with Micarta so I'm really keen to see what it's like in use. If anyone remembers them from a few years ago, this knife reminds me on the TWSBI Micarta fountain pen.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I got the Micarta PM2 yesterday. It's a completely different finish from the G-10. More natural feeling, it's really grippy and comfortable, with what feels like a very fine nap to the finish. Like I do with all my knives, I did the all the edges with Micromesh down to a fine (12,000) finish and they finished off very smooth. Doing the edges like that turned them into a darker light reddish brown colour compared to the flat kinda tan coloured scale faces.

Overall, a very impressive knife and I love the full steel liners. I read and watched a lot of chat about the cut out section for the Compression lock and mine feels really strong there so I'd have no concerns about that at all.

I was scared it might be a little too close to the Para 3 to be a different feeling knife but it is a fair bit bigger in both blade & handle - so it's nice to own for its unique Micarta appeal as well as the extra size in use over the similar Para 3.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”