The Golden Liner Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

The Golden Liner Lock

Post by Scandi Grind »

So for starters I like liner locks. I know that a lot of people have a beef with this lock for one reason or another but I personally am a fan. I have seen some bad liner locks for sure, but they were just bad knives and it wasn't the lock's fault, it was the manufacturer's. So I like liner locks, and I like Spydercos.

With the introduction of the Military 2 in comp lock it seems likely we will no longer have a Golden made liner lock left before too long. That would leave us with only liner lock options made in Taiwan and China. While I don't think China is as much of a quality problem these days, I don't really like buying Chinese products in place of U.S. made products, though I have to admit, I have been tempted by the Tenacious, and yes, partially due to the liner lock.

So basically what I am getting at is that while I understand that Spyderco already offers the most differs set of quality pocket knife options I have ever seen from any manufacturer, and that liner locks are not typically favored by the masses, I still would like to see a Golden made liner lock in their line up. For me something similar in size to a Paramilitary or an Endura would be nicest as the Military was always too big for me. I would really love to see something of that nature, which I assume would be a new model.

But most of the reason I wanted to post this was to ask, who else would love to see a Golden liner lock design? Am I too much of a minority, or is this something that many others would want too?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Drubieg

Re: The Golden Liner Lock

Post by Drubieg »

I really like Spyderco liner locks too, more than all other locks save the mid back lock. I have a military, Pattada, rock lobster and would like to snatch an Opus. I would love to see another Golden made liner lock. They are fun and easy to manipulate, reliable and allows for sleek and uninterrupted handle scale designs
Danke

Post by Danke »

I think that the Shawn Houston aka BBB custom 15V folder to be made in Golden will be a liner lock.

Someone else may know more.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don’t necessarily prefer Golden products to the others, but I really like liner locks, so yes! A new Golden liner lock would be great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am probably a bit known as an advocate for more mid and high end Spyderco linerlocks - and yes, this especially in relation or even instead to/of (more) comp.lock models.

This is NOT because I would not like the comp.lock - it is good, though for my personal preferences a linerlock is better.
It is rather that as far as I can see any knife design with a comp.lock could rather easily be a linerlock knife instead, without really having to change the overall shape (thickness, handle-and blade height...) - and of course also vice versa (linerlock into comp.lock).

So just for the sake of variety and or those who value the pros a linerlock has (over a comp.lock but also generally) more than the pros a comp.lock has (over a linerlock but also generally) more good linerlock Spydies would be great.

And if they had the amazing Golden Millie linerlock: Even better! (I´d get a linerlock Bodacious in a heart beat!).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I like the Military and other Spyderco liner locks. Depending on the design, I might be interested in a new liner lock out of Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 pm
So for starters I like liner locks. I know that a lot of people have a beef with this lock for one reason or another but I personally am a fan. I have seen some bad liner locks for sure, but they were just bad knives and it wasn't the lock's fault, it was the manufacturer's. ...

THIS, as many have said before:

The bad rep and negative myths ("myths" when it comes to GOOD linerlocks) surrounding linerlocks imo to a large part comes from the fact, that there are a ton of bad linerlock knives out there (non Spydercos).
Most likely also the reason for the imo rather short sighted attitude that a comp.lock necessarily is an improvement of a linerlock - it definitely CAN be for many, but objectively seen it is "just" an alternative, and folks like me still have good reason to prefer a linerlock.
Differently to linerlocks, there are just no bad comp.lock knives out there (or are there? Now that the patent has expired?)

Why do I mention the comp.lock again? Well, as I´ve said above: In my layman view any comp.lock design could also be a linerlock design while pretty much keeping its overall general shape (aside from cutouts for the lockbar/tab of course) - so more (Golden or general) Spyderco linerlock knives would probably mean less comp.locks
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Scandi Grind wrote:
...I have been tempted by the Tenacious, and yes, partially due to the liner lock.

I would not hesitate... my S35VN Tenacious LW was superb in fit and finish (just the pivot was not oiled at all when it arrived) - concerning the lock, but also the whole knife
It gives you an endura-ish length cutting edge in a very compact design and choices betweenn FRN and G10, SE, CE, PE, 8CR, S35VN, M4...

Only thing it does not offer (for those who care about that):
The really idiot proof finger safety feature a linerlock Spydie WITH a good choil gives you. With the Tenacious most times it is also the (hidden) ricasso that hits my "closing finger" first, but differently to a "choiled" linerlock Spydie one still could mess up (to me a non issue anyway, but some appearantly really worry about the "finger safety" of a lock - I do respect that).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Scandi Grind wrote:
The liner lock used to, kind of, be a design requirement. There were just less lock mechanism options for designers to choose from. If a backlock didn’t work in a particular design, the chances are good that a liner lock could. The liner lock design is so universally applicable, that it has allowed SO MANY different knife designs to be converted or made into a folding knife.

I have no beef against liner locks: I own them, use them, and like them. The compression lock just does everything a liner lock can do but better. User preferences do not change that fact.

Danke is correct, the anticipated Shawn Houston folder is set to be a Golden Made liner lock.
- Nick :bug-red
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:30 am

The compression lock just does everything a liner lock can do but better. User preferences do not change that fact.
Gloved use? Uninterrupted handle back profile that doesn't dig into your hand? I don't think that locks are possible to compare objectively because the way they are used, and by whom, will determine have effective they are for a given task. That is to say, for some people, Comp locks are not better at everything.

But anyway, I think overall what this thread is telling me so far is that those who are well informed would enjoy more liner locks, but because the greatest mass of buyers are less educated and influenced by the surplus of poor examples, these locks will tend not to sell as well as newer lock options. So, I'm not sure if it ends up being worth it for Spyderco, but I hope we will continue to see them in the future.

-- Old Norse proverb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Mushroom wrote:

The compression lock just does everything a liner lock can do but better. User preferences do not change that fact.
Gloved use? Uninterrupted handle back profile that doesn't dig into your hand? I don't think that locks are possible to compare objectively because the way they are used, and by whom, will determine have effective they are for a given task. That is to say, for some people, Comp locks are not better at everything.

But anyway, I think overall what this thread is telling me so far is that those who are well informed would enjoy more liner locks, but because the greatest mass of buyers are less educated and influenced by the surplus of poor examples, these locks will tend not to sell as well as newer lock options. So, I'm not sure if it ends up being worth it for Spyderco, but I hope we will continue to see them in the future.
The compression lock can be made with a button, so gloved use is no problem at all. It can also be made with an “uninterrupted handle back profile that doesn't dig into your hand.” For example, the Edgerati. Also, for that matter, the Smock has both of those features.

Also, I believe they definitely can be compared objectively. The same way any two locks can. That doesn’t mean people aren’t allowed to prefer one over the other though, that’s not what I’m saying. That preference doesn't change the objective differences between the two.
Last edited by Mushroom on Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I’m pushing 65… haven’t carried a liner lock in years… compression, back, ball bearing
and button locks get all my pocket time now. I’d rather have more slip-it’s than more
liner lock knives. With my aging hands and fingers I find I prefer compression locks these
days because I can one handed open and close with either hand.

Edit to add….

Due to injuries I find I use my knife left-handed often… liner locks are not the most left-hand
friendly like a compression or back lock.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I've never dropped a liner lock while closing it. It's not my favorite lock type, but I prefer it to the comp lock and the frame lock, both of which are similar to liner locks but worse in my opinion.

Golden makes a great liner lock and I hope they don't become extinct. Fewer choices is a loss for everyone.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Mushroom wrote:

But anyway, I think overall what this thread is telling me so far is that those who are well informed would enjoy more liner locks, but because the greatest mass of buyers are less educated and influenced by the surplus of poor examples, these locks will tend not to sell as well as newer lock options.So, I'm not sure if it ends up being worth it for Spyderco, but I hope we will continue to see them in the future.

I'm not sure that those who don't prefer liner locks are less informed or less educated. People like what they like. Personally, I like Spyderco's liner locks; in particular, I really like the ones on my 4 Militaries.

That said, I do like the compression lock better. I simply like it better than liner locks. There doesn't need to be a logical reason, though I'm sure I have one. I doubt it's because I'm lesser-informed. I've been carrying and using folding knives since 1976 or 1977, and have used knives with many different types of locks (as well as slip joints). It's simply a matter of me liking one lock type more than the other. Whether one is inherently better than the other is purely subjective.

I would be happy if Golden continues making liner lock models.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I really like the original liner lock Military. I find the ergos on the liner lock to be more comfortable than the compression lock.

On the other hand, since I've been EDC a Police4, everytime I pick up a Military it shocks me that it's no longer an enormous knife with a bloated handle.

Instead it reminds me of what a Para2 would be ideally ;)

So I'll probably pick up a Military2 or two just to get an improved Para2.

I hope we continue to see frame lock Militarys in different steels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jesla wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:27 pm
I’m pushing 65… haven’t carried a liner lock in years… compression, back, ball bearing
and button locks get all my pocket time now. I’d rather have more slip-it’s than more
liner lock knives. With my aging hands and fingers I find I prefer compression locks these

Edit to add….

Due to injuries I find I use my knife left-handed often… liner locks are not the most left-hand

I personally (righty) find linerlocks and comp.locks both equally easy to operate left and right handed (left handed I usually use my index finger).

So generally imo linerlocks are as "left handed friendly" (or not) as comp.locks are - but of course this might be different if injuries come into play?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jesla wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Edit to add….

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see more slipits and less (read none) liner locks. And, as age and old injuries coming back to haunt me, I want compression and back lock knives, mostly backlock because I don't really like detents.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:23 pm

I'm not sure that those who don't prefer liner locks are less informed or less educated. People like what they like. Personally, I like Spyderco's liner locks; in particular, I really like the ones on my 4 Militaries.
My apologies, I didn't mean to suggest that disliking liner locks inherently implies ignorance, I understand that everyone has their own preferences and has reasons for preferring a variety of lock types. I was referring to the body of buyers who tend not to know much about the nature of different knife designs and lock types, which tends to be the majority of buyers from what I have seen, and they are often convinced that liner locks are outdated, unreliable, and have no place on a quality knife due to all the poor examples that are now swamping the market.
Mushroom wrote:

The compression lock can be made with a button, so gloved use is no problem at all. It can also be made with an “uninterrupted handle back profile that doesn't dig into your hand.” For example, the Edgerati. Also, for that matter, the Smock has both of those features.
I am pretty interested in button lock variants of the comp lock, but the only one that I was aware of was the Smock, which for a number of reasons just doesn't interest me as a knife. So here I am on my own liner lock advocate thread also saying I'd like to see more button locks! :zany Spyderco really has spoiled us for variety haven't they, and somehow it just makes us want more!

-- Old Norse proverb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:59 am
Mushroom wrote:

I am pretty interested in button lock variants of the comp lock, but the only one that I was aware of was the Smock, which for a number of reasons just doesn't interest me as a knife. So here I am on my own liner lock advocate thread also saying I'd like to see more button locks! :zany Spyderco really has spoiled us for variety haven't they, and somehow it just makes us want more!
That they have! :grin-squint

I do still like liner locks and I’m not against seeing more of them from Golden. They’re reliable, widely recognized, and user friendly.

It’s just that with the creation of the compression lock, I think it is easy to understand why Spyderco tends to have an inclination towards using it over using a liner lock. I think mostly obviously is because it was developed by Spyderco. Also it’s nearly, if not, just as versatile in design as a liner lock while offering improvements in strength, safety, and efficiency.

I don’t mean to get too deep into to the weeds about the compression lock but in a way it could at least be seen as an evolution of the “Walker Liner lock” so it is kind of relevant. I think the choice to use a liner lock over a compression lock is largely, and mostly, influenced by designer preference these days.

:bug-white :respect
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Seen a lot of crappy linerlocks out there, but Golden's seem to be quite good. I try not to let blind COO prejudice govern my decisions and have found Spyderco's Chinese linerlocks to be quite good, also.