The WolfSpyder - any updates?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: The WolfSpyder - any updates?

Post by Enactive »

This URL worked for me yesterday. 404ed just now.

https://www.raymears.com/404custom.cfm? ... yder-Knife
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I don't believe it's a coincidence. I am also confident that the "announcement" of a second-generation version was hopefully premature.

Stay safe,

mike
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

:nerd

•• Beau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

We’re getting conflicting messages from Spyderco now. Kristi said there are no plans for another production run or update to the Wolfspyder but Michael Janich said he is confident the announcement of an updated version was premature. :thinking

Was it “hopefully premature” in the sense that Woodlore hasn't even discussed an updated version with Spyderco yet and they were just hopeful they could get an update completed by the end of 2023? Or was it “hopefully premature” in the sense that even 2024 might be earlier than an updated Wolfspyder could slot into the production queue?

Or does it mean something else? I very well could be misunderstanding something. Either way, the future of the model is not clear to me.
- Nick :bug-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:53 pm
We’re getting conflicting messages from Spyderco now. Kristi said there are no plans for another production run or update to the Wolfspyder but Michael Janich said he is confident the announcement of an updated version was premature. :thinking

Was it “hopefully premature” in the sense that Woodlore hasn't even discussed an updated version with Spyderco yet and they were just hopeful they could get an update completed by the end of 2023? Or was it “hopefully premature” in the sense that even 2024 might be earlier than an updated Wolfspyder could slot into the production queue?

Or does it mean something else? I very well could be misunderstanding something. Either way, the future of the model is not clear to me.

Sounds like there might be a plan that hasn't officially moved past the planning stage? That would make the statements not conflicting.
But, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. :beaming-face
•• Beau
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I interpreted Michael’s remark as the website post about a new model being more-or-less speculative.
PStone

Post by PStone »

:bug-red-white :thinking :zany
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To clarify, the Woodlore post was made without coordination with Spyderco. They contacted us after making it with the idea for a gen-2 version. We have decided not to pursue the project.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

PStone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:14 am
I think you have to update this one more time.
:') :flushed :pleading :sad-but-relieved :'( :'( :spiral-eyes

Sorry dude. I know you were looking forward to this.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was actually pretty interested myself.
The knife is cool, but having that on your website without Spyderco’s input is not.
I’ve been half expecting a new version for a good long time because I’d seen their website.

I liked the blade, no choil, and green g10, but I missed out, so I had my eye out for another version.
I think it should be possible to track one down still.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

They're a fantastic little knife, Cl1ff.

The green G-10 is great looking and the scandi grind is fun to sharpen. The handle is very comfortable for it's size although I removed the clip on mine for deep pocket carry.

If you can find one, I'd happily recommend that you go for it.

Mark
Last edited by Roefisher on Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:40 am
PStone wrote:
[img]

Thanks Jeff. I’m gonna leave it as is. It’s Spyderco. There’s always a chance they’ll do a sprint or something, even if it is a one in a million chance. I’ve got my OG one on me today and still have a NIB backup. Thinking about retiring this one and getting the new one out. Will post a comparison pic new vs used when I do.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

PStone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:19 am
JSumm wrote:
PStone wrote:
[img]

Thanks Jeff. I’m gonna leave it as is. It’s Spyderco. There’s always a chance they’ll do a sprint or something, even if it is a one in a million chance. I’ve got my OG one on me today and still have a NIB backup. Thinking about retiring this one and getting the new one out. Will post a comparison pic new vs used when I do.
Since it sounds like you've used your quite a bit, have you ever got the action tuned or loosened up at all?

Mine is so dang stiff, no matter how I adjust or lube it, that it's kinda hard to open with the tiny spydie hole.
PStone

Post by PStone »

soulspy wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:26 pm
PStone wrote:
JSumm wrote:
PStone wrote:
[img]

Since it sounds like you've used your quite a bit, have you ever got the action tuned or loosened up at all?

Mine is so dang stiff, no matter how I adjust or lube it, that it's kinda hard to open with the tiny spydie hole.
Action has always been tight. Very smooth though. The location of the detent ball is what slows it down and makes it feel tight. I have oiled the detent ball path before but I never noticed a huge difference in action.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

PStone wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:15 am
soulspy wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:26 pm
PStone wrote:
JSumm wrote:

Action has always been tight. Very smooth though. The location of the detent ball is what slows it down and makes it feel tight. I have oiled the detent ball path before but I never noticed a huge difference in action.
The other strange part is that I do not think the compression lockbar has a detent, so there is a broad area of the side of the lockbar that makes contact against the tang. Between this and the unique detent built into the liner, the action tends to get gritty with any hint of dirt or even pocket lint.

I'd love to have someone try to tune that detent to have a little lighter action.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Too bad, I decided to not try to find the WolfSpyder because I thought a V2 would come one day!

Imma have to change my plans. Maybe I can find it in Europe, dont think it was distributed there though.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:53 am
Too bad, I decided to not try to find the WolfSpyder because I thought a V2 would come one day!

Imma have to change my plans. Maybe I can find it in Europe, dont think it was distributed there though.
Aside from Collector Club numbered knives and factory seconds, it was Exclusive to Woodlore. Judging by the number of seconds I saw at the sales, it wasn't easy to make. I don't recall seeing any at the last Sale, but I'll keep an eye out if you'd be interested in a factory second.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve been keeping an eye out for them at the sale for at least a couple years now and haven't seen them. I do remember a few years where they were abundant but it seems like they just up and disappeared one year and I haven’t seen any since.
- Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, I don't recall seeing any since the Covid cancellation, but I haven't been looking for them either.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

this is disappointing news. the wolfspyder remains my #1 pocket knife of all, and was very excited to see what a v2 would involve.