A story about GSM outdoors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

A story about GSM outdoors

Post by vivi »

Back in 2020 GSM Outdoors bought out Cold Steel.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88169

I was never a huge Cold Steel fan but liked what I owned for them. Which, at the time, was a few of their south african made machetes and a pair of large Voyagers I eventually gifted to co-workers at an old security job.

With that announcement I took another look at their offerings, thinking that may be my last chance to snag some models before quality dropped.

Since that post in 2020 I've bought multiple SRK's, SRK Compacts, and Recon Tantos. I think I originally paid $40 shipped for a compact off ebay, and between $45 & $50 for the two larger models. For that price I figured why not try all three sizes and see which worked best for me?

All of them arrived essentially perfect, save for my last SRK, and OD green model.

The knife itself looked great as you can see. Black and green is my favorite color combo, so I was really excited to buy the SRK & Compact in this configuration.

However, when I drew the knife out of the sheath, it required a lot of force. At least 10 times the force my others took to unsheath.

I inspected the sheath a little closer and realized it shipped to me bent near the opening. You can see my users sheath on top with paracord and the new sheath on bottom with the bend.

I contacted customer service by email using the form on their website.

Waited a week, no response. Wasn't looking good.

So I tried calling their customer service, and the lady I spoke to was incredibly helpful. Her name was Caralyn B.

Often in these sorts of situations I get a response like "send XYZ email address additional info and we'll get back to you when we get back to you."

Caralyn insisted I email her the required info while she kept me on the line because she wanted to get things handled then and there.

So I re-send the order receipt, the photo of the sheath I posted above, describe the issue etc.

She says typically they'd do a return for the entire product and replace everything, not just the sheath, but when she searched the OD Green SKU it was out of stock.

As I mentioned this is my favorite color combo so I didn't want to exchange for another black, or a tan one. I asked her if it was possible to just return the sheath for a new one. All SRK's except the limited run orange use the same color sheath so I figured it was worth asking.

She said she'd check with her supervisor.

She came back and said keep the knife and sheath, we're sending you a brand new SRK with sheath instead of having me return it for a different color.

I know it's not a super expensive model but I was surprised at how generously they took care of me as a customer. I thanked her multiple times and told her I'd mention this fantastic customer service on a few websites, because I really appreciated the positive interaction.

In fact, I'm going to order another one of these today.

Seems like Cold Steel is in good hands still. The performance of my newer colored handled SRK's and SRKC's seems identical to my older black SK5 models as far as the knives go. I found a site selling the compact for $27 and the SRK for $31, and at those prices they're an incredible value for a simple no frills work horse.
:unicorn
riclaw

Re: A story about GSM outdoors

Post by riclaw »

Good to hear. Thank you for posting about your experience.

Matt at Rockscale Design and Casey at LynchNW also provide top-tier customer service. I prefer to buy from them knowing they'll take care of me if I have a problem.
- Richard
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thanks Vivi, good story about GSM and Cold Steel.

I'd like to buy a few full size SRKs just to have them laying around the house. Stuffed in the couches and chairs, in cabinets, etc.

I have a few Cold Steel knives. I like what I have, a blacked out 9 inch tanto fixed blade in 3V is nice and the Recon One folder is nice. I need to put skateboard tape on at least one side of the Code 4s that I have because they are way too slick feeling. Funny, I never carried any of my Cold Steel knives. I need to buy backups before I do that.

Carried Spyderco's and ZT's for the last 4+ years. Really like my Native Chiefs and they beat out the ZT's I was carrying by 1/4+ of an inch. Both knives were S90V. The ZT's had really nice flipper action, but the profile on the Native Chief seems like it would penetrate better.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really like cold steel more and more. i still really dislike most of their models, but the ones that are good are really good. as spyderco continues to raise prices, cold steel looks better and better to me. i've got 5x more spydercos than cold steels, but i think that gap will continue to shrink in the future. good to know about their customer service. i've never had to use it like i have spyderco's.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, nice too hear a good response from a large manufacturer.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I don’t love what they’re doing with SOG but this is a great experience, thanks for sharing Vivi.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks.
Factory/Mfg. CS is of minor importance over here in Europe, but it's nice to know they still (at least anecdotally) care about their customers. That tends to carry over to product quality as well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

New sheath is a great fit. Bit tighter than my broken in user, so I may use this one for inverted pack carry. Much better than the old sheath.

Since I got an extra SRK now I may try to come up with some mods to try. Maybe a FFG conversion....
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:44 pm
Well, I don’t love what they’re doing with SOG but this is a great experience, thanks for sharing Vivi.
What's going on with SOG? I haven't followed that brand since the 2000's but I remember my old seal pup was solid.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:24 pm
What's going on with SOG? I haven't followed that brand since the 2000's but I remember my old seal pup was solid.
Here's my hot take: Cold Steel will get sold at Cabela's, SOG will get sold at REI. New SOGs will mostly be brand-engineered CS models.

SOG had some cool designs back in the day. They weren't always the highest quality knives, but they had a unique identity. I'd sure love if they continued making cool designs that were unique to the brand.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've seen a few random cold steel items at cabelas. it'd be cool if they carried a wider selection. Usually they'll have a couple kitchen knives and an axe from them.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven't bought a Cold Steel knife since around 2005. They were Taiwan-made fixed blades; a Kobun and a Peacekeeper 1. By then, they had moved a lot of their manufacture from Japan to Taiwan. I would have preferred Japan-made versions of those knives, but I got them too late. I'm guessing that a lot of CS's manufacturing has since been moved from Taiwan to China.

As for SOG, I own a few of their older Seki-made fixed blades, and a couple of their older Seki folders from more than 20 years ago. Their fixed blades were quite good back then. I don't know about SOG in more recent years.

Jim