Any interest in the return of models like the pingo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Any interest in the return of models like the pingo?

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope Spyderco ( @Sal ) will consider making a similar knife. This knife has no irritating choil to snag on things when cutting, so I would hope the new knife would be the same. I would also like to see the blade stock slightly thinner and thinner towards the point too. Also, thinner behind the edge. I love the shape of this knife. It is beautiful with its flowing lines and ergonomically it works, as well. So, I like to see a knife with the same beauty in mind as well as function.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal said the Pingo designers now operate their own competitive company (Giant Mouse) and so it would not get sprinted again
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I only posted my pics just to show them off, not to restart a discussion on the possibility of a new version. The only “new” versions one can make these days is to mod one of the existing models, which are becoming super hard to find. Denmark changed their knife laws BTW a while back, the country now allows locking one-handed opening knives. Cheers!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:31 am
Sal said the Pingo designers now operate their own competitive company (Giant Mouse) and so it would not get sprinted again
Anso and Voxnaes are both doing collaborations with other companies 🤷‍♂️. I’ve been eyeballing the MKM Isonzo (another Voxnaes design) for way, way too long. I would have liked to see Spyderco have snagged that collab, though I imagine it would have ended up pricier.

I really liked the Pingo design but never ended up getting one for reasons mentioned in this thread (non locking).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Anso and Voxnaes are both doing collaborations with other companies 🤷‍♂️. I’ve been eyeballing the MKM Isonzo (another Voxnaes design) for way, way too long. I would have liked to see Spyderco have snagged that collab, though I imagine it would have ended up pricier.

I really liked the Pingo design but never ended up getting one for reasons mentioned in this thread (non locking).
I had one, sold it, regretted it, but moved on. It is a really funky cool design, I got lots of comments on mine. Being orange just added to it. Like a modern Euro Barlow. The Ti model was a bit heavier than I wanted too. I think a Delica sized Pingo would have been well received. My DF2 Wharn is more in line with my needs
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:25 am
zhyla wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 am
twinboysdad wrote:

I had one, sold it, regretted it, but moved on. It is a really funky cool design, I got lots of comments on mine. Being orange just added to it. Like a modern Euro Barlow. The Ti model was a bit heavier than I wanted too. I think a Delica sized Pingo would have been well received. My DF2 Wharn is more in line with my needs
For me, maybe not Delica sized, but Chaparral sized, with a blade that thin, too. I'd want the handles to remain the same thickness, though, and with the rounded edges.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

I’ve always wished it came with a blue handle—I’d definitely buy a blue handled sprint.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Return of earlier models, or return of the earlier models’ designers with new models?

I favor the latter, even if it’s a much bigger ask than sprinting earlier models, or finding them on the secondary market.

EDIT TO ADD: Given Sal’s comment below, seems sprints of old collaborations, and offerings of new ones, too, probably won’t happen if the one-time collaborator is now a competitor.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

MrGibson wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:30 pm
I’ve always wished it came with a blue handle—I’d definitely buy a blue handled sprint.
This 2016 Edge Matters forum exclusive in K390 did come with a blue handle, as well as a thumbstud you could install if you so desired (sacrilegious if you ask me!). I seem to recall that this was the first Spyderco folder offered in K390, but someone will be sure to correct me if I’m wrong. This is the knife I used to blade swap into the rock pattern Ti scales in my previous pics on the last page — it was almost a shame to take off the blue scales, they are a very nice shade.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 pm
MrGibson wrote:
This 2016 Edge Matters forum exclusive in K390 did come with a blue handle, as well as a thumbstud you could install if you so desired (sacrilegious if you ask me!). I seem to recall that this was the first Spyderco folder offered in K390, but someone will be sure to correct me if I’m wrong. This is the knife I used to blade swap into the rock pattern Ti scales in my previous pics on the last page — it was almost a shame to take off the blue scales, they are a very nice shade.
I love that knife! I tried to get one, but I seem to remember something about them not cooperating, or something. Anyway, lovely knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Last edited by standy99 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 pm
MrGibson wrote:
Oh…my. That’s the perfect shade of blue. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks for pointing it out!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Having sold my original, I only picked up another k390 Pingo earlier this year, coincidentally off Mike Read, the Spits designer.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I would love a pingo in Magnacut...
As for the edgematters forum... that devolved into a **** show pretty quickly.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I forget about the Pingo for some reason, but I would like to try one sometime.
I enjoy non-locking knives a lot, especially my UKPK. It’s cool that there was a K390 version.

Maybe if that thread gauging interest in a Lamia exclusive is successful, it could lead to the Pingo being a model of choice?

I do like the idea of a MagnaCut version.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:04 am
This was the model I had as well. Got tons of comments on it, funky and artsy yet robust and functional
sal

Post by sal »

We would probably not bring back the model as Vox/Anso are now competitors.

sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

In that case V glad I got the Blade HQ Rock Lobster a couple years ago. It's hugely practical.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have the Elmax variant. I rarely carry it as I'm not fond of slipjoints. The Ti handle is also a fingerprint and scratch magnet.
pingo 03.jpg
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:14 pm
I have the Elmax variant. I rarely carry it as I'm not fond of slipjoints. The Ti handle is also a fingerprint and scratch magnet.
pingo 03.jpg
I got that Ti Pingo for the Elmax but soon found the handle too slick for a secure grip. Way of Knife refinished it for me. The handle no longer slips, or shouts the Spyderco logo.

-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”