Just got a NIB Titanium ATR

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
American1776

Just got a NIB Titanium ATR

Post by American1776 »

Just found a NIB Titanium ATR. I love the ATR, have the stainless and two G10 models. Finally got the original in Titanium.

It’s a wonderful knife. The only problem is that the compression lock allows for blade wiggle when the blade is closed. The detent keeps the blade shut; just some wiggle in the closed position. I think I can live with that. Anyone else have a TI ATR with lock wiggle when closed? Is this a problem?

Here are some pics, with my SEBENZA too.
Attachments
19CA3589-37DA-41AF-B7A1-5498919CD2BA.jpeg
FC3BDA4D-13D3-46CE-8C15-EAB1D37A28C8.jpeg
8513A88F-918F-4DF5-9319-DE91F4588729.jpeg
JRinFL

Re: Just got a NIB Titanium ATR

Post by JRinFL »

You are on a roll finding these old gems! Thanks for posting them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Great looking knife. I then to like bigger belly knives vs something line a pointy Native Chief.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Nice score!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I only had the Ti for a short time and a Forum member who joined last year has it in his collection. My example did not have this issue . I would not worry about it , nice addition to your collection . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Congrats. A rare find.

I originally designed that model 20+ years ago with hopes of using it as a Glock piece, but I could never get to Glock so we decided to produce it just for us.

sal
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:49 pm
Congrats. A rare find.

I originally designed that model 20+ years ago with hopes of using it as a Glock piece, but I could never get to Glock so we decided to produce it just for us.

sal
Wait...are you THE sal?!?! :hushed-face Like the spyderco sal? The guy whos name is printed on the side of my knife sal??????!!!! If so can I have an autographed picture?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:26 pm
sal wrote:
Congrats. A rare find.

sal
Wait...are you THE sal?!?! :hushed-face Like the spyderco sal? The guy whos name is printed on the side of my knife sal??????!!!! If so can I have an autographed picture?
He is. :cheap-sunglasses
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

American1776 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:08 am
The only problem is that the compression lock allows for blade wiggle when the blade is closed. The detent keeps the blade shut; just some wiggle in the closed position. I think I can live with that. Anyone else have a TI ATR with lock wiggle when closed? Is this a problem?

I have the all stainless steel ATR from 2005 and it doesn’t have any blade play open or closed. Personally, I fail to see why any blade play while closed would be an issue.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Congrats. A rare find.

sal
Hi Sal thx for the extra info on the history of one of my favorite models you designed.
But can you or anyone else explain what you mean by using it as a glock piece? English is not my native language and i never heard that sentence before.
Now i know glock is firearms company so do you mean it was made to be a collaboration with them or am i way off? :flushed :grin-sweat
ImHereForTheMilitary2

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Now i know glock is firearms company so do you mean it was made to be a collaboration with them or am i way off? :flushed :grin-sweat
Knives and guns are like peanut butter & jelly
sal

Post by sal »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:02 pm
sal wrote:
Congrats. A rare find.

sal
Hi Sal thx for the extra info on the history of one of my favorite models you designed.
But can you or anyone else explain what you mean by using it as a glock piece? English is not my native language and i never heard that sentence before.

Hi Apollo,

My intent, at the time, was to present the design to Glock firearms and see if we could make it as an official Glock knife. We worked with a number of Glock reps but were never able to get any closer to actually dealing with Glock. Not all projects come to fruition. I'm a shooter and use Glocks, among others.

sal
ImHereForTheMilitary2

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:38 pm
I'm a shooter and use Glocks, among others.

sal
This alone makes me proud to be a spyderco customer