Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mokele

Re: Spyderco Online Factory Seconds Sale!

Post by mokele »

Really expected 1 or 2 old mules being sold, ah, ****.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Thanks goes to the Spydercrew! It was an epic battle. I spent an 1 hour and 27 mins of near constant refreshing my browser. I made my way to a cart I could check out with. I ended up with a plain PM2. My brother had already claimed it. I enjoyed the battle and the spoils! Keep up the good work.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I tried to look at the website this morning, no luck. I wonder how many bots they had to kick out?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Good grief, I was offline for most of the day and this thread went from 6 pages to 22!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The experience was a pita but I want to thank Spyderco for the effort and opportunity. After 3.5 hours I was able to get everything I wanted. I sat in a recliner. Beats spending $500 to go there in person, which I have done twice.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:37 pm
Yep. I said it in the ayoob thread, but Spydercos staff were incredibly friendly today and a pleasure to deal with, despite the insane volume they were dealing with.

The only issues I had were with the website, not the people that make up the company.

Keeping your cool on an extremely busy day is a valuable character trait. I've seen plenty of cooks and waitresses have melt downs on mothers day weekends etc. to know not everyone can handle days like this while keeping their composure.
it's almost as if you can like a company even after a bad experience.

i appreciate the sale even though the site not working was frustrating and i missed out on everything i saw that i wanted. i'd still rather spyderco do this than not, but that doesn't mean it was fun to watch everything disappear each time i managed to make it to the page before it timed out again.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Holybotulism

Post by Holybotulism »

Thank you Spyderco for putting the sale online for all of us that can't make it to Golden. I truly appreciate the opportunity. I can't wait to see what's in these mystery boxes. Awesome concept... especially if the knives turn out to be bangers :crossed-fingers
Sherer19

Post by Sherer19 »

There are a few Urban Damascus left. Any thoughts on this model or it as a “seconds?” I assume the Damascus will hold up to normal use?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Howdy folks! Long time lurker, first time poster. I enjoy the pleasant conversation on this site, and I prefer to listen/read and learn as I have little to offer in the way of knowledge. I just want to say thanks to Spyderco for having this online sale. I know it has to have been a LOT of hard work for you folks, and I appreciate the effort.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Thank you to Spyderco and the team. It was a tough day for you, I can only imagine. I'm grateful for the service and perseverance, be encouraged and thank you!
Roscomcfarland

Post by Roscomcfarland »

Is what’s on the site all that’s left???
:bug-red-white CTS-XHP Shaman, S90V PM2, S30V PM2, 20CV Para 3, S110V Para 3, 4V Manix 2 XL. More please.
Roscomcfarland

Post by Roscomcfarland »

Well…..missed it. Refreshed and looked constantly all day, only to turn my head for like 30 mins and everything’s gone. And congratulations to everyone whom got something cool I hope they do this again in the future sometime you snooze you lose I suppose.
:bug-red-white CTS-XHP Shaman, S90V PM2, S30V PM2, 20CV Para 3, S110V Para 3, 4V Manix 2 XL. More please.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Wish I could have participate but the Spyderco website would not load. Gave up around noon after hours of trying..
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
clix

Post by clix »

It was hard, but over all I got most of what I wanted. Thanks for putting on the sale. Also, the majority of the feedback here is not wrong. It looks like the web store is run off of a single IP address server, so it's no surprise that even just a few hundred people with multiple browser tabs open will grind everything to a halt.
Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:27 pm
Why are there so many checkout screens? Currently 3 or 4. Why not 1? That immediately reduces server queries by 66-75%
I noticed that too. It's a great point. That's four additional ten minute waits for each of the thousands of clients trying to get in.
Spyderwebs wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:27 pm
Overall I'm happy, but refreshing for almost 6 hours is rough at best. A server with significantly more capacity is needed for next time. But the deals are worth the headache.
Here's the real kicker: would you rather go through the refreshing and persevere, or would you rather everything works so smoothly that everything is gone before you can click to add something to your cart?
WilliamMunny wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:56 pm
But on the flip side this was very poorly executed by Spyderco and not a surprise as it’s happened before. It is impossible to make any argument that their site performance was unacceptable as a consumer. I mean places like REC and St Nicks can handle this type of traffic when they release sprints, why is it too much to expect from Spyderco?
REC uses BigCommerce and St. Nick's uses Shopify. These are modern solutions for retail stores, but they probably cost quite a bit more than the current single-server solution. I can see why they wouldn't overhaul their entire infrastructure just to sell some seconds.
ramblinwreck wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:15 pm
I wish they would develop a waiting room system that allows time to checkout without crashing. Probably won’t happen, but would make for a much better buying experience.
This sort of thing exists like this:

https://www.cloudflare.com/application- ... ting-room/

But again, it would be an overhaul just to sell seconds. Unfortunately for us, it's unlikely.
Formerly THG, Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 pm
MASTODONFW16

Post by MASTODONFW16 »

So somehow I've got a PM2 15v, money's gone but no confirmation letter. Is it ok? Should I contact Spyderco support or smth like that? Any advice would be appreciated.
mmadison

Post by mmadison »

I need to be real here.

What we saw with this sale, was not a serious way to do this kind of business.

I (we) appreciate it, and the opportunity to buy these seconds online.

It slipped by, and kind of worked in the past.

But something changed this time; perhaps a larger audience, greater demand, idk.

With respect, maybe don't do it this way again.

If the cost of adequate internet infrastructure is prohibitive, perhaps consider some other means.

Enthusiasm for the brand seems like it must be at an all-time high.

To deliver a strong, positive, overall customer experience the next time you do this, will anchor that enthusiasm.

There is opportunity.

Many thanks.
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Thanks Spyderco team.👍 Took many hours and was able to put in three smaller orders. Yeah, some items sold out while checking out. There's always the next one. My brothers hobby is sneakers, and highly anticipated drops are turns out like today's. Like fishing, some days you land some others not. Still fun at trying. Hope the Spyderco team gets some well deserved r&r.🫡
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

First of all, thanks to the SpyderCo team for allowing us to purchase knives at a great price. I get that people are frustrated and disappointed. Like someone mentioned in another thread, SpyderCo isn’t in the website business. They have a site that has worked for
years. While it may not handle the traffic for a seconds sale, it works great 99% of the time. Any change to the seconds sale ordering process would cost money and therefore knife prices would have to be increased across the board. I think we can all sacrifice a little frustration for the opportunity. I’m looking forward to more sales in the future.
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

Spyderco is first and foremost a knifemaker, not a dedicated online knife seller.
I appreciate this online sale, because it gave me an opportunity I wouldn´t otherwise have had. And while it took about an hour for me, in the end I got the knives I wanted. So thank you, Mr Spyderco!
RyanAnchors

Post by RyanAnchors »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:29 pm
Being frustrated is understandable but remember to have some respect.

I appreciate that Spyderco does this. I was ready to give up too but kept trying and it paid off...twice

I was able to log back in a few minutes ago and there's still a lot of nice knives available
I still appreciated it in 2019 or whichever year I tried to do it the first time and didn’t get anything (I think it might have been the first year they did it online).. People love to complain, but Spyderco doesn’t have to do this. At all. Most knife companies don’t do this. They see a blemished part and replace it and sell the knife at full price. I’m not saying they’re bending over backwards for us or anything because they’re still benefitting as well, but it’s still a nice gesture and a much better discount than most companies offer on cosmetic blems. I still liked them when I didn’t get anything and I still like them now that I got almost close enough to exactly what I wanted and they shipped it same day with two day delivery. Hard to complain. Only way it could have been better is if I had snagged a 15v Manix for $90, but in all truth I already have two. But I overpaid a lot for one of them that is the backup to my user one so getting another user for $90 would almost average me out to retail pricing on the three…almost haha.

Still happy and still love Spyderco a lot. They’re far from perfect, but they do their best and they make great products that blow their direct competitors out of the water imo. I was in the gun/knife industry for years a decade ago and I got to see a lot about which companies deserve my business. My favorite production knife company by far.