Edgerati Prototype

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Edgerati Prototype

Post by Ramonade »

Just saw this on the Spyderco Millie, PM2, Para3 Club (Thanks Walter for the pictures)

Seems like a kind of Native 5 without the swedge. Maybe even a bit longer ? I can't tell from the info on the plaque, maybe someone whom* saw it in real life will chime in ;)

I like the Maserati Birdcage too, so I personally find this design cool !

* : hate this word, I'm sure I shouldn't have used it here, I never know when to use it !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jim Malone

Re: Edgerati Prototype

Post by Jim Malone »

It's like the old R model. Handled it, felt really weird due to the ultralight handle. Made the knife blade heavy. Didn't do anything with me.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It is Shaman size. Maybe the performance Shaman. Not sure.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:10 am
It is Shaman size. Maybe the performance Shaman. Not sure.
Oh, thanks a lot Jeff ! If it's that big this makes it a totally different knife. Good to know.
Jim Malone wrote: It's like the old R model. Handled it, felt really weird due to the ultralight handle. Made the knife blade heavy. Didn't do anything with me.
Yes this reminds me a lot of it. I have to say I'm intrigued by this design. Feels like old & new mixed up together
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Perhaps this is what Sal has been calling the racing Shaman?
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I'd seen the "S" model with the web shaped blade, but the "R" is new to me. Interesting that Sal's been doing variants of the ultra-skeletonized folder for so long.

With all the new polymers that can support a blade without liners, the concept seems a bit outdated. Still cool for that 90's retrofuture vibe. And it'll be good for the FRN-haters in need of a light weight knife.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:54 am
* : hate this word, I'm sure I shouldn't have used it here, I never know when to use it !
It should've been who, but I bet you 90% of native English speaking Americans couldn't tell you that, and everybody understands what you meant. If you can replace the word with he/she and still have it make sense, then use who. If you can replace the word with him/her and still have it make sense, then use whom. Sometimes you can't do either as a direct replacement, and that's when I try rearranging the sentence to see if I can make it work with he/she or him/her and use who/whom respectively, and if you still can't figure it out, nobody else will either lol.

I'm not a grammar expert, so it's very likely that someone will come along and correct me saying I got it all wrong, but this is how I usually figure it out.

To stay on topic, I like the blade shape and wouldn't mind seeing a Shaman LW similar to that. I'm not a fan of the weird handle and couldn't quite figure out what it was, but then someone mentioned a Maserati cage, and the name kind of came together. Still not a fan of the handle though.
--Jeremy
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like it , but would have to try in hand . Seems like a continuation of the S and R which is nice to see a new knife using the cage concept . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:54 am
Ramonade wrote:
It should've been who, but I bet you 90% of native English speaking Americans couldn't tell you that, and everybody understands what you meant. If you can replace the word with he/she and still have it make sense, then use who. If you can replace the word with him/her and still have it make sense, then use whom. Sometimes you can't do either as a direct replacement, and that's when I try rearranging the sentence to see if I can make it work with he/she or him/her and use who/whom respectively, and if you still can't figure it out, nobody else will either lol.

I'm not a grammar expert, so it's very likely that someone will come along and correct me saying I got it all wrong, but this is how I usually figure it out.

To stay on topic, I like the blade shape and wouldn't mind seeing a Shaman LW similar to that. I'm not a fan of the weird handle and couldn't quite figure out what it was, but then someone mentioned a Maserati cage, and the name kind of came together. Still not a fan of the handle though.
Well, having a trick to check what word I should use is all I could've asked for ! I usually am able to write very well in english if I'm not too tired, but the word whom always scared me. It's mostly because in movies or shows, the writers often make jokes about the fact that nobodies uses it correctly :squinting-tongue

My turn to come back to the thread : I kinda agree with Toucan on the 90's retrofuture vibe. This kind of patterns always make me think about how we pictured the future a couple of decades ago !

The blade is something I can totally get behind though. Looks like that tip is not here to have fun at all :open-grin

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Lightweight performance Shaman. Looks good to me. I'm wondering what they got the weight down to and if the blade got thinned down.

Sal previously wrote,
"Later, the Shaman was re-introduced in Micarta and Cruwear and rang the bell. Subsequent "Exclusives" had good response and the follow up models using the Shaman pattern have yet to hit the market. The lighter performance version ("Edgerati" (TM), the Choil-less version, and the FRN version are still in-the-works, but we really won't know how you (the market) will respond until they've been out for a while. "Persistence is King", and we will continue to try."
•• Beau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I hope they incorporate a cutout to make disengaging the compression lock easier.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:11 am
I hope they incorporate a cutout to make disengaging the compression lock easier.
I noticed that too . Seems like it would be a challenge to operate and not sure how top of lock would feel above the spine . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:13 am
mikey177 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:11 am
I noticed that too . Seems like it would be a challenge to operate and not sure how top of lock would feel above the spine . Dan
Of course when I saw it I was happy that the hotspot inducing cutout was gone. Now if it wasn't backward, it might be a compression lock I could live with.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s… interesting. Looks a lot like a home modified Shaman to me, using custom made scales and a slightly reshaped blade. I would’ve preferred the original Shaman blade shape over the straight spine, personally.
- Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think I like it. Need to hold it, but there are few lightweight knives I don't like. Want to see it closed. Maybe it's the angle of the photo but it appears there's lots of handle relative to blade.

Grammar: Kerrcobra is correct. Who/whom is used by the elite classes to quickly determine who has an expensive education and who hasn't. If you are learning English and want to sound like the average American, just use "who" even when it's incorrect. I believe the British are more particular, however; I've heard a lot more Brits use who/whom correctly.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am
It’s… interesting. Looks a lot like a home modified Shaman to me, using custom made scales and a slightly reshaped blade. I would’ve preferred the original Shaman blade shape over the straight spine, personally.
I think so too concerning spine . I suppose it is to give it a look of its own or maybe a better fit of blade to scale ? Not sure . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ramonade wrote:
Just saw this on the Spyderco Millie, PM2, Para3 Club (Thanks Walter for the pictures)

Seems like a kind of Native 5 without the swedge. Maybe even a bit longer ? I can't tell from the info on the plaque, maybe someone whom* saw it in real life will chime in ;)

I like the Maserati Birdcage too, so I personally find this design cool !

Here it should have been 'who.' If it helps, who is always a subject of the sentence. It is a pronoun like I. What's more it is a WH word and often signifies a question: Who will help me with this?

In your sentence it pairs with someone and is the subject: Maybe someone who saw it... Just like: Maybe he saw it.

Whom is always the object. It is a pronoun that gets acted on by a verb or has a preposition. To whom shall we write? I wrote that letter to the person to whom it was meant.

A better way to look at it is that if you can replace he or she with a word then use who. If you can replace him or her with the word, then use whom.

This is the one who wrote me. (It is he/she who wrote me)

Four of us went to Blade Show, one of whom was the driver. (Four of us went to Blade Show, the driver was one of us).

Sorry.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

If this is the performance version of the Shaman, then I'll definitely have to get one. I think the handle is ugly as sin, and I hope it comes to market without all of those visible holes in the handle (I'd be fine with it if there was a smooth layer concealing the cage latticework underneath), but I will pick one up regardless. I am super excited about Spyderco creating some higher performance products, so I will buy one or two of any of the models just to support the idea in hopes of it continuing and getting even more popular.
--Jeremy
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Yay, a grammar thread morph! Notice how close Ramonade was to being correct, however: If the sentence were changed slightly to either: "...maybe some of whom..." or "...maybe someone who..." then it would be The King's English, either way.

So, back to the Edgerati: Is this an officially announced item...for sure it'll go into production? Or is it just a prototype to gauge interest? If official, through what venue was this announced?

How will this be for dirty/gritty environments...better or worse than a "full scaled" knife?

Any idea the weight?

I think the bird cage is an exciting concept. I can also imagine it gives a really good grip...the skin of your fingers would press slightly into the voids.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:49 am
Yay, a grammar thread morph! Notice how close Ramonade was to being correct, however: If the sentence were changed slightly to either: "...maybe some of whom..." or "...maybe someone who..." then it would be The King's English, either way.
I will master this term, and use it adequately one day !
How will this be for dirty/gritty environments...better or worse than a "full scaled" knife?
I think the cleaning part will look a bit like this :
Until we learn the unthinkable, It did not help the knife to blow into it, it actually hurt it !