Today I got…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stoney87

Today I got…

Post by Stoney87 »

Today o got my first knife in k390, first wharncliffe and first delica, all in one. Early impressions are great, I should have bought a delica a long time ago. I also got to handle a shaman for the first time, it was pretty awesome and is something will will go on the list to buy one day down the road. I have a question about oiling the blade though, as I live in a humid area, what do the rest of you use to keep rust at bay that is also going to be safe around food etc? I don’t do a ton of food prep with my knives but sometimes I need one for lunches at work etc… I have not owned a carbon steel knife prior, so any advice would be appreciated.
JSumm

Re: Today I got…

Post by JSumm »

I have used Vaseline in the past. Mineral oil but it sticks. I don't use it anymore. Just go raw. I have only had tiny rust spots pop up a few times. Food acid is the only thing I've come across that will patina it if you leave it on. I live in humid Georgia.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Thanks for the info! If you are in Georgia and don’t have any real issue I should be fine in Illinois. It’s pretty humid here but it’s no Georgia.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Stoney87 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:38 am
Thanks for the info! If you are in Georgia and don’t have any real issue I should be fine in Illinois. It’s pretty humid here but it’s no Georgia.
I live in Illinois and K390 works fine for me . Proper care of this steel is really simple , light wipe down occasionally . I forced patina on my K390 but really not necessary. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I live in Florida and don’t oil my k390. It’s a little discolored in spots but not too bad for non-stainless. Rinse and wipe dry is all I recommend.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:29 pm
Stoney87 wrote:
I live in Illinois and K390 works fine for me . Proper care of this steel is really simple , light wipe down occasionally . I forced patina on my K390 but really not necessary. MG2
Good to hear, I was concerned it was going to be pretty high maintenance. I’m glad to have those concerns put to rest. I use everything I buy so I wanted to make sure that I keep it in tip top shape.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Arizona here and sweat is corrosive so my K390 blades are wiped down with a slight sheen of mineral oil about once a week or as necessary. An old CF card case hold a small piece of microfiber with mineral oil always at the ready. I like to take care of my equipment as we travel into wilderness several times a week.
IMG_0923.jpeg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ryder wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:23 pm
Arizona here and sweat is corrosive so my K390 blades are wiped down with a slight sheen of mineral oil about once a week or as necessary. An old CF card case hold a small piece of microfiber with mineral oil always at the ready. I like to take care of my equipment as we travel into wilderness several times a week.

IMG_0923.jpeg
Great idea and Knife looks great . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Ryder did you force a patina on it? The idea of a soaked cloth in a case makes sense, especially if you are out and about.
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

I'm in North Carolina, on my carbon steel blades I usually start out with a treatment of Eagles Tears which is food safe. But my daily before I put it back in the case is a microfiber with a little bit of mineral oil on it. I don't have any issues with corrosion and I have a really nice natural patina starting on my K390.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Stoney87 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:34 pm
Ryder did you force a patina on it? The idea of a soaked cloth in a case makes sense, especially if you are out and about.
Thanks all.

I didn’t actually force the patina but didn’t fight against it either. When I look for a mobile traveling knife/tool it needs to do two tasks without question, slice and carve wood for that just in case scenario and serious food prep. The first meal just did some noticeable patina. The second meal I made while testing included onions and limes as well as a whole chicken, the first two very staining. I come from carbon steel scout/camp knives so something about patina kind of says something to me. And it’s distinctive feel when cutting or sharpening does too. So I just let those limes flood the steel for about an hour and do the work. Now I just use it and care for it. I don’t obsess with the oil but I don’t like pitting at all so some is good.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Stoney87 wrote:
I live in GA too. After workin in the yard or riding the Harley, I will either use a quick blast of Rem oil or ballistol.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

Just a follow up, I have carried the wharncliffe delica every day since I got it and am hooked. It performs great! I use it at work and at home for everything from boxes, plastic straps and food. It’s done everything I’ve asked without skipping a beat. No issues with rust or any patina starting, I just wipe it up after I use it. Very happy with it. Thanks again everyone for your input on maintaining the steel! I don’t buy a ton of new knives, but more and more the ones I buy are spydercos, I have been happy with all of them.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Stoney87 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:18 pm
Just a follow up, I have carried the wharncliffe delica every day since I got it and am hooked. It performs great! I use it at work and at home for everything from boxes, plastic straps and food. It’s done everything I’ve asked without skipping a beat. No issues with rust or any patina starting, I just wipe it up after I use it. Very happy with it. Thanks again everyone for your input on maintaining the steel! I don’t buy a ton of new knives, but more and more the ones I buy are spydercos, I have been happy with all of them.
Glad everything is working out okay for you.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've had good luck with using K390 without any treatment. For a non-stainless it doesn't corrode very easily. I rust most steels more easily than most but K390 impressed me in this context.

At most I'd go with a light application of mineral oil, focusing on parts near the ricasso and pivot.
:unicorn