Microtech OTF problem

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BLUETYPEII

Microtech OTF problem

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The reason I’m writing this is because I’m having a problem with my Microtech UTX-85 and I want some advice...

The knife blade came off track on deployment one day then immediately after on the next deployment the slide-switch became extremely stiff. After one or two more times deploying the knife the switch became even stiffer. I immediately shelved it until I could send it in for a warranty repair.

After receiving the UTX-85 back from warranty repair there was no information except cleaning instructions. They did not indicate that the knife was damaged or dirty or anything like that. I deployed it at least a dozen times one after the other to make sure it was working properly and everything seemed fine. This was not the case though, after sitting for a couple of weeks in the knife case I took it out and on the first try... failure. I don’t know what to do now should this be a paperweight? Should I try to send it back again and blow another $40 to ship and insure?

The knife is still coming off track on deployment. Not every time but often too often (about 20%-25%), especially since this knife was bought for SD.

I really just want Microtech to replace it with a different knife but I don’t think they will go for that.

I also want to make clear that I am not trying to bash Microtech, I think they are an upstanding company in the knife community.

I just want some opinions before I decided what to do. Thanks for reading my ramblings. Any advice is appreciated.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
TkoK83Spy

Re: Microtech OTF problem

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For the price of their knives, and from videos I've seen from Microtech themselves praising their QC and warranty department, this is certainly disappointing to read, and I feel bad for you. Have you called them and spoke to someone in their warranty department since receiving it back?

I'd would like to think that if you did so, explained to them what the exact problem was, maybe even included a note of what was happening along with the knife, that something good would come from it. Hopefully they would foot the bill for shipping for the second time since they clearly didn't fix it properly the first time (though that's just me and how I would run a business)

We're not talking a $25 folder here, they should honor their nam and word. This makes me worried about possible future problems with my Ultratech. Please keep us posted on this thread. I hope things work out for you. I'd definitely seek out a phone call with someone on the inside first.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So I've never had a microtech, but I remember seeing a video talking about the maintenance instructions they recommended for their OTF knives that are supposed to prevent these types of problems. Probably a good idea to look up those instructions and see if they help. If it doesn't, I'd send it in.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What do you mean when you say "the blade came off track"? If it just failed to deploy fully and lock open, it really isn't that big a deal, and probably just needs a cleaning. It happens to mine from time to time. I use a product called "Claire Solvent Degreaser" that I buy from a janitorial supply place, but brake cleaner or even Starting Fluid will do the job. What I use is not flammable, which is nice. Unscrew the glass breaker, point the knife down, put the straw of the solvent in the hole from the glass breaker and give it a good blast. That will flush out dirt, lint, grease, oil and any other gunk that might be in there. Cycle the knife a few times and hit it again. Then one drop of oil wiped on the flats of the blade and you should be good to go.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:22 pm
What do you mean when you say "the blade came off track"? If it just failed to deploy fully and lock open, it really isn't that big a deal, and probably just needs a cleaning. It happens to mine from time to time. I use a product called "Claire Solvent Degreaser" that I buy from a janitorial supply place, but brake cleaner or even Starting Fluid will do the job. What I use is not flammable, which is nice. Unscrew the glass breaker, point the knife down, put the straw of the solvent in the hole from the glass breaker and give it a good blast. That will flush out dirt, lint, grease, oil and any other gunk that might be in there. Cycle the knife a few times and hit it again. Then one drop of oil wiped on the flats of the blade and you should be good to go.
I hear what you’re saying about it being cleaned. When I cleaned it I use the recommended cleaner REM oil . Since it came back from warranty repair it has only sat in my knife case. I don’t see how sitting for two weeks would cause it to get “dirty enough to fail to deploy completely“ which is what I mean by “coming off track” I have an Ultratech that is about three years older than the UTX-85. I have treated the Ultratech the same as the UTX-85 except I have never cleaned the Ultratech and it functions flawlessly.

Should the UTX-85 really be doing this if it’s in like new condition, never been exposed to any kind of dirt and never really even been used? Except for fidgeting... opening and closing it.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Just keeping you all up-to-date. I called Microtech to address the issue I’m having with my UTX-85. Microtech is going to take another look at it.

I just finished packaging it and will send it out tomorrow.

Hopefully it’s replaced not repaired but we’ll see.

🤞
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Mysterymane007

Post by Mysterymane007 »

Following to see what ends up happening with microtech handling the situation.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

So far so good...

I was told if my Microtech isn’t functioning properly after this service it will be replaced.

I was also told that “stronger springs” were installed.

I should be receiving my UTX-85 this Wednesday... I won’t be able to grab it until I get home in the evening so I’ll get y’all an update A.S.A.P.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I received my UTX-85 a day earlier than expected. It seems to be functioning as intended. It feels very solid on deployment now.

I don’t know why the first repair attempt was unsuccessful, however the person I was speaking to at Microtech said that the employee who worked on my knife is no longer with the company.

Microtech was very professional and apologetic, I would still recommend Microtech Knives after this interaction.

Hope that was some good info for y’all.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Glad it worked out for you! Makes me want to buy a microtech
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:33 pm
Glad it worked out for you! Makes me want to buy a microtech
If you do get one check out the Dirac or the larger Dirac Delta they are symmetrical awesomeness. I have the UTX-85 and an Ultratech, both are great. As with Spyderco get one from a authorized dealer there are a lot of clones out there.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I just sent my Microtech Combat Troodon back because it has always been really tough to operate, now it just quit operating and cleaning did nothing to fix the problem, i have tried living with it since bought new in 2017.
I will let everyone know what the outcome is if and when i get it back.

I also have a Ultratech that really works great have had it also since 2017.