Para 3 for large hands?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Para 3 for large hands?

Post by aicolainen »

pinker wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:50 pm
Bit of a thread necro, but with all the talk of pocket-ability / having a knife that disappears into your pocket, I think we sometimes forget that handling and usage are the most important aspects of a EDC knife. Even more so than debating the minutia of blade steels.

I recently purchased a Native and just can't get along with it due to its diminutive grip size.

Paramilitary 2 for me or Manix 2 all day.
Well, that really depends on a lot of factors.
Example.
In my line of work the time my knife spends in my pockets are orders of magnitude beyond the time it's actually being used.
The clothes suitable for someone in my position and the general acceptance level for knives where I live also dictates that the knife be slender and concealable.
According to your reasoning this should all add up to me having to carry a knife that is not very suited for use and handling, and that's not true at all.
My preferred EDC knife for the last couple of years has been a Dragonfly 2 without pocketclip, and specifically the k390 wharncliffe since it was released. For what I do, that knife is SOOO good, I actually struggle to find something bigger that doesn't force me to give up on too many of the aspects that makes the DF2 so good.
I work with electronic control systems and electrical sub assemblies, so I do a lot of unsupported precision cutting, often in a limited space and the way I can control the full length of the DF2 from tip to butt is a great advantage.
The fact that I have narrow palms and skinny fingers means I still have a full 4 finger grip if I need to engage in cutting tasks that demand more force, so that of course make small knives less of a trade off for me, than it might be for some with a wider grip.

And on that, note, glove size isn't a very good reference for hand size/grip size. As mentioned my palm is quite narrow and my fingers are skinny, but they are not lacking in length, so I typically opt for size 10 in gloves. I think that equates to about L, which I don't think is a good description of my hand size.
And to bring this back around and end off on topic, the para 3 is a perfect fit behind the choil for my so called "large" hand. It's almost tight, but I don't feel cramped up, just a natural good fit with a very secure and good support in all directions.
As long as the PM2 exists, I don't see a problem with this design choice. The PM2 (which I've had) is bigger without actually feeling that much bigger, so if you have larger paws you can size up without sacrificing much in way of carry comfort. And for those subject to length restrictions there are always the 3" models with less restrictive handle designs.
I'm not a big fan of the Para3, but I've learned to get a long with it, somewhat, and while it may not matter too much in real use, it's nice that Spyderco offers something like this, that provides this level of secure grip (feeling) for people with smaller/skinnier hands.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I picked up a G-10 Para 3 when they first came out and never could get comfortable with it. It basically lived in a SpydiePak for years unused. Then I started modding my PM 2s with Flytanium Lotus contoured scales and was amazed at the ergonomic improvement. So I picked up a set of the Lotus scales in micarta for my Para 3 and I've been really impressed with what a difference it's made, along with a deep-carry MXG clip. It's a stout little workhorse that I now carry frequently and really enjoy using.
Last edited by olywa on Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Correct too short for a solid 4 finger grip but that only happens during certain cutting operations where I am trying to keep my forefinger away from the sliced material. Otherwise I use the choil and to be honest the Spyderco choil is one of my favorite features I miss it big time when a knife does not implement it.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've only briefly handled one but it was doable, but as others have said I wouldn't want to grip it behind the choil, much the same as I use a Native 5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I have small hands and I find the Para 3 perfect for my hands. I'd go for something bigger.
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

My palm width is 4-4.5" and the para3 LW is my usual edc because I find it the best grip size for the 3" blade. I also find it useful and easy to open wearing my Mbike gloves. I always use it with the choil.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

i agree with critiques i've seen of the para 3 that it's a smaller knife that feels bigger; vs, say, the pm2, which is a bigger knife that feels smaller. still, i like it for its niche - there aren't many equally robust 3" knives in its class out there. it sounds like that's what the op was looking for, and with solidly XL+ glove size hands, it's plenty big. it's not as roomy as a stretch etc, but it's not delicate or cramped by any means, and that's a more objective than subjective observation. the df2 is gracile, the lil native is small, the chap is delicate. the para 3 is a slab