VG-10 FFG SE Endura, is it coming?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pointy

VG-10 FFG SE Endura, is it coming?

Post by Pointy »

I don't see this in the 2023 catalogue, only the K390 version.

It'd be especially nice to have them released in the spectrum of handle colors, but I'll take black if that's what's released.

What are the chances that this will be released in 2023, or at all?
:bug-white-red Pointy :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Re: VG-10 FFG SE Endura, is it coming?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Pointy wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:50 am

It'd be especially nice to have them released in the spectrum of handle colors, but I'll take black if that's what's released.

I see them availability at Knifeworks. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It’s on page 3 of the 2023 catalog. There’s only a picture of the PE but the CE and SE are also mentioned in the description and under EDGES. However, although it’s VG-10 it’s not FFG but Saber Ground. The FFG VG-10 Endura4 come only in PlainEdge unless you go with Wharncliffe in which case you can get PE & SE.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Pointy

Post by Pointy »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 pm
It’s on page 3 of the 2023 catalog. There’s only a picture of the PE but the CE and SE are also mentioned in the description and under EDGES.
Thanks very much for your replies. I do see the Saber Grind SE Endura available in VG-10, just don't see a Full-Flat Grind SE Endura available yet.

Thanks.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Pointy wrote:

The closest you can currently get to a production FFG SpyderEdge Endura in VG-10 and a standard, non-Wharncliffe blade shape is the Thin Blue Line or Thin Red Line edition of the Endura 4. Both come with FFG Combo Edge blades (so you're halfway there!). Alternatively, you can get a fully serrated Endela—it comes with a FFG SpyderEdge VG-10 blade. I know the Endela is supposed to split the difference between the Endura & the Delica, but in hand it feels much more like the former than the latter.
Pointy

Post by Pointy »

Ok so it looks like a VG-10 Full-Flat Grind Serrated Edge Endura indeed isn't available at least of now. Maybe I'll have to splurge for the Full Flat Grind Serrated Edge that's available in K390....
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This is a good question, OP, and I've asked it myself many times in many threads or brought up a plain jane VG 10 Endura ffg SE when asked which model / variant I'd be missing the most in Spydercos lineup.

Now that I have the Stretch XL SE ("most highly" recommended!!) my need for an VG 10 Endura ffg SE has diminished a bit, but is still not gone. I am one of those who finds the Endura ergos to be great, loves to choke up on that Ricasso and sometimes I want that "heftier" feel of the linered handle and the option for custom scales it offers. The stronger tip of the Endura is nice to have in some situations too.

One option would be the Pac Salt 2 SE in LC 200N:
Same handle shape as the Endura 4, though no liners.
LC is pretty similar to VG10 for an average Joe like me when it comes to ease of sharpening, should be a lot tougher, but in my use VG10 seems to hold an edge a bit longer.
Also the Pac Salt has a larger thumb hole and by that steeper ramp as well as an blunter tip (easy mod to make that pointier though),
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:25 pm
Pointy wrote:
... fully serrated Endela—it comes with a FFG SpyderEdge VG-10 blade. I know the Endela is supposed to split the difference between the Endura & the Delica, but in hand it feels much more like the former than the latter.

Right, to me the Endela handle feels like an even slightly improved (a tad wider, "mellower" points between the finger grooves) Endura handle. On the latter I never use or need the extra bit of length on the rear end, the Endela offers plenty of handle space for my L to XL hands
Also, the Endela serrations are pretty much perfect in my book - but it has not the cutting edge length I look for in a perfect, do-it-all EDC folder.
An Endura with its longer edge and with the exact same serrations (just more of...) as the Endela in VG10 would be amazing and an instant buy.

Btw., I had the sabre grind VG10 Endura SE and still have one in combo edge.
Both good knives, no doubt, but due to the sabre grind and different serration pattern no match for the ffg Endela SE in pure cutting performance
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I have the same question about the Delica ! Why the ffg K390 variants receive the teeth and not the VG10 ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kinda weird the wharnie is FFG but not the standard version.

Maybe not the answer you want but a close compromise might be a LC200N Pacific, which is kinda the same knife without liners. Depends on how you prefer your handle/colors etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It’s strange that the standard Endela FFG VG-10 comes in PlainEdge (PE) & SpyderEdge (SE) but the standard Delica4 and Endura4 do not come with FFG VG-10 SE! The only FFG VG-10 SE option for Delica4 and Endura4 is to go with a Wharncliffe blade.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln