Price increases 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Price increases 2023?

Post by nerdlock »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:53 pm
Ouch is right!... Glad I just bought a lightweight manix dlc for $130 last week, should be here tomorrow! Price is now $143!....every year they raise prices like 15 bux. Just think 3 years from now a lightweight will be $200 ....lol yeah right bro! The manix was always a good value vs other golden models, not any more. Can't keep customers if you raise prices every single year !!.......

I haven't bought any M2 LW due to the pinned construction despite having good prices a few years back. Now, I don't think I'll ever buy one even with screw construction due to those prices.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Erich

Post by Erich »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:28 pm
Erich wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:23 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:10 am

I also think it's hilarious that you're complaining about a price increase on something that, for most of us, has become a pleasure item and not really a necessity. ]

Get a grip people!
You think you're "owning" us by stressing how these knives are not a necessity. No, they're not necessary, and consequentially people will pay only so much. Necessities like gas and food with invariable demand are able to charge whatever they want, not pocket knives. Supply and demand goes both ways. When demand collapses, retailers can't move anything, and then bye bye goes the MAP like with this past Black Friday. I think we've hit a wall of what's economically possible with pricing. The retailers that started this whole thing will bitterly cling to their price control, but there's always the next Black Friday! :squinting-tongue
Hi Erich. We've had this same discussion every year I've been a member here. Prices have been increasing each year, people moan about it, and yet we all keep buying. Whether or not we've hit a wall is yet to be seen but I'd be willing to bet that Spyderco has great sales numbers again this year.

Spyderco has always been very transparent about their pricing. They do their best to keep everyone happy including their ELUs, dealers, and employees. I would assume their production costs continue to rise and they have no choice but to raise their products. They are a business after all. Sometimes businesses have to make difficult choices. It's our choice whether or not we buy

I don't like paying more for anything yet here we are paying more for everything. I'll continue to buy items I enjoy as long as I can afford them. Everyone needs to decide what they can afford

Good luck in 2023
Indeed, the recent MAP "holiday" felt like a canary in the coalmine. You can only increase prices so much. I personally have never bought a MAP knife, and I dumped about 2k in Spydercos this Black Friday precisely so I can continue avoiding the MAP, "spend to save."
Erich

Post by Erich »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:49 pm
Looks like US-made models had an 8-10% street price increase.

ParaMilitary2 CruCarta went from $188.65 to $203.00.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-param ... pdgy2.html

The Maxamet PM2 is $268. I bought the same knife on Black Friday for $175. Goodluck selling at these prices. See you at the next MAP "holiday!"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Lil Native SLIPIT up to $149.80 from $138.60. 8% increase

Lil Native Black Blade up to $170.48 from $157.85! Yikes! 8% increase

Paramilitary 2 satin up to $185.50 from $171.50. Roughly 8% increase

Subvert up to $403.20 from $378.35. Roughly 6.5 % increase

Techno 2 up to $280 from $265.65. Roughly 5.5% increase

Tenacious LW Black up to $56.00 from $53.90. Roughly 3.8% increase.

I agree, Golden made models looks like they got around an 8% increase, Taiwanese made models saw a range of 5% - 6.5% increase, and Chinese made models saw about 3.8% - 4% increase.

Japanese and Italian made models do not appear to have increased.
- Nick :bug-red
phaust

Post by phaust »

Honestly this is probably the fairest (if not better than fair) set of prices increases since MAP.

That's not to say Spydies are suddenly cheap, but other years I have been harsh about the increases being much higher than inflation and more than other companies.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:50 pm

Lil Native Black Blade up to $170.48 from $157.85! Yikes! 8% increase

I agree, Golden made models looks like they got around an 8% increase, Taiwanese made models saw a range of 5% - 6.5% increase, and Chinese made models saw about 3.8% - 4% increase.

Japanese and Italian made models do not appear to have increased.

Pretty insane for a small bladed knife. Sorry. I'll leave it at that.

I see the Para 3 standard at 175 while the DLC is (gasp!) 184.10 at GP Knives, from 161.70 and 170.80 respectively. That's a $13.3 increase for both. I wonder if we'll be hitting the $200 barrier for these small knives soon.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Military DLC went from $210 in 2021 to $231 in 2022 (+10%) to $252 in 2023 (+9.1%). Basically, increased 20% from December 2021 to January 2023!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The small business I manage increased prices roughly 9.2% this year. That still doesn't reflect keeping up with our costs. 8% increase sounds pretty reasonable in this economy. I can't imagine that Spyderco is trying to gouge us - simply trying to keep up with their costs.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A little perspective on prices. Back in September 2005 I purchased a brand new Spyderco Military with S30V Satin Blade & G-10 for $103.09. The inflation calculator says it should now be $157.15 but instead it’s now $238.00.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

I have to "cry and moan" a bit about the prices in Europe. One of the large knife online shops ( k&t ) now has the

Shaman for 335 Eur (358 USD)

Manix Lightweight S110V for 243 Eur (260 USD)

Native 5 S110V for 312 Eur (333 USD)

Native Chief for 268 Eur (286 USD)

Native 5 Lightweight for 175 Eur (186 USD)

Para 3 LW Spy27 for 223 Eur (238 USD)

I mean, come on.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Erich wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

I also think it's hilarious that you're complaining about a price increase on something that, for most of us, has become a pleasure item and not really a necessity. ]

Get a grip people!
You think you're "owning" us by stressing how these knives are not a necessity. No, they're not necessary, and consequentially people will pay only so much. Necessities like gas and food with invariable demand are able to charge whatever they want, not pocket knives. Supply and demand goes both ways. When demand collapses, retailers can't move anything, and then bye bye goes the MAP like with this past Black Friday. I think we've hit a wall of what's economically possible with pricing. The retailers that started this whole thing will bitterly cling to their price control, but there's always the next Black Friday! :squinting-tongue
Hi Erich. We've had this same discussion every year I've been a member here. Prices have been increasing each year, people moan about it, and yet we all keep buying. Whether or not we've hit a wall is yet to be seen but I'd be willing to bet that Spyderco has great sales numbers again this year.

Spyderco has always been very transparent about their pricing. They do their best to keep everyone happy including their ELUs, dealers, and employees. I would assume their production costs continue to rise and they have no choice but to raise their products. They are a business after all. Sometimes businesses have to make difficult choices. It's our choice whether or not we buy

I don't like paying more for anything yet here we are paying more for everything. I'll continue to buy items I enjoy as long as I can afford them. Everyone needs to decide what they can afford

Good luck in 2023
I agree with you Sharp Guy.

These price "discussions" crack me up every time I see them. Everyone wants Spyderco to come out with new this, and new that. More more more. Production ramps and expansions take capital, and where do you think they get capital? Typically two places: issuing stock and increased sales (which if demand isn't up requires increased prices). Last I checked Spyderco isn't a publicly traded company so they would get capital from increasing the price of their goods. Not to mention the influence of inflation on production costs. They are a business, not a charity, and need to make a profit to keep the doors open and stay innovative.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:50 pm
Haha, what makes the already overpriced Lil Native SLIPIT worth $150? The pricing on this model has moved way past painful and on to ludicrous. GEC makes multiblade slip joints with far more hand steps and better workmanship for less than that. The Lil Native is a simple slab sided, screw constructed knife. I think the whole pocket knife world has gone insane.

Before the punters pipe in, yes, I wont pay a price I don’t like.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Erich

Post by Erich »

Rymanz wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:50 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Erich wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Get a grip people!

Good luck in 2023
I agree with you Sharp Guy.

These price "discussions" crack me up every time I see them. Everyone wants Spyderco to come out with new this, and new that. More more more. Production ramps and expansions take capital, and where do you think they get capital? Typically two places: issuing stock and increased sales (which if demand isn't up requires increased prices). Last I checked Spyderco isn't a publicly traded company so they would get capital from increasing the price of their goods. Not to mention the influence of inflation on production costs. They are a business, not a charity, and need to make a profit to keep the doors open and stay innovative.
Actually after digging around it seems that the MAP was originally instituted in 2016 to protect middle grade retailers like knifecenter.com from Amazon and Ebay, and also from smaller retailers like cutleryshoppe and knifeworks who have little if any overhead. If you become too dependent on a handful of retailers then you can be squeezed, for economic or political purposes. Then it sort of morphed into "inflation" generally.

Regardless I'm just saying supply and demand goes both ways as this past Black Friday proves. You guys can go ahead and unquestioningly pay $300 or whatever for the steel-of-the-week after demanding that Spyderco produce this or that model in the thread, I'll be in the back sniping the MAP holidays on last year's steel-of-the-week or no-longer-cool-knife whenever they come up.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Appears to have not hit the spyderco site yet, i wonder when?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm not gonna say Spyderco is charging too much or too little...those are business decisions outside my expertise.

What I will say is: in the current price range, I'm not using my Spydercos like I used to. Two decades ago, my Spydercos were mostly users. They were in a price range where they were replaceable without much concern. Two decades later, I'm nervous about putting the Spydercos I like and buy to work--they're too valuable--it makes more sense to just make do with a utility knife or other cheap knife that's no-harm, no-foul if I chip, break, drop, or lose it.

There are a couple of old VG-10 Spydercos that still make the pocket on hard-work days, they're so worn, it doesn't matter. But, hate to say it, more and more of my Spydercos are becoming safe queens, sock drawer denizens, eye candy. And SD duty. For me, SD duty = light duty...probably never be used for that purpose, so those knives just ride around without being used. But when it comes to a working knife, if it's gonna cost me $250 to replace it, it doesn't see much front-line duty, if any.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:24 pm
I'm not gonna say Spyderco is charging too much or too little...those are business decisions outside my expertise.

What I will say is: in the current price range, I'm not using my Spydercos like I used to. Two decades ago, my Spydercos were mostly users. They were in a price range where they were replaceable without much concern. Two decades later, I'm nervous about putting the Spydercos I like and buy to work--they're too valuable--it makes more sense to just make do with a utility knife or other cheap knife that's no-harm, no-foul if I chip, break, drop, or lose it.

There are a couple of old VG-10 Spydercos that still make the pocket on hard-work days, they're so worn, it doesn't matter. But, hate to say it, more and more of my Spydercos are becoming safe queens, sock drawer denizens, eye candy. And SD duty. For me, SD duty = light duty...probably never be used for that purpose, so those knives just ride around without being used. But when it comes to a working knife, if it's gonna cost me $250 to replace it, it doesn't see much front-line duty, if any.
MNOSD 0001 approves!

On a more serious note, I agree with your points.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:24 pm

What I will say is: in the current price range, I'm not using my Spydercos like I used to. Two decades ago, my Spydercos were mostly users. They were in a price range where they were replaceable without much concern.
Having a few sprints and non replaceable Spyderco knives I opted for the Delica route.
Have my nice knives I know I enjoy using and carrying but if it’s work and stuffing around I have a handful of Delicas to pick at any time.

If I loose a PM2 crucarta or a PM2 jade M4 that would annoy me…but if I lost a used Delica it’s a smaller drama.

On another note I just looked at a wood saw that cost me $132 only two years ago costs $175 now……by the time I need a new saw it will probably be a $250 saw. Guess who’s buying a $175 :shush
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

phaust wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:18 pm
Honestly this is probably the fairest (if not better than fair) set of prices increases since MAP.

That's not to say Spydies are suddenly cheap, but other years I have been harsh about the increases being much higher than inflation and more than other companies.
Thought just the same. Something arround or even under 8% is below my expectations.

Of course I have to see, how big the increase in the EU will be. But this is a good base. Just hope, k&t are not for real.
mazze

Post by mazze »

I went to k&t to buy a roadie and their prices are obscene :worried
Black costs 97€ and other colors 85€.
Amazon.de has a good deal on the red version and I bought one there for 56€.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

New MAP Prices
USA
  • Some barely changed: Lil' Native Back Lock, Native 5 Fluted Carbon Fiber
  • One went down in MAP price by almost 3%: Para 3 CPM SPY27
  • The rest went up anywhere from 3.9% to 10.3%
JAPAN
  • No real changes
ITALY
  • No changes
CHINA
  • MAP went up anywhere from 3.57% to 5.81% (excluding Grasshopper, Honeybee, Bug)
TAIWAN
  • 4 models did not change in price: Cat, Chicago, Paysan, Swayback
  • The rest went up anywhere from 3.7% to 11.93%