C05 Standard Revival

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

C05 Standard Revival

Post by kennethsime »

It's no secret that I'm on team palm swell. I like a lot of things about the Delica: the compact size, light weight, thin blade, etc. I don't particularly enjoy how the "points" of the handle dig into my fingers in just the wrong place.

I saw a post on reddit the other day, where users mis-identified a C05 Standard as a C11 Delica. It's not the first time I've ever seen a Standard, but it is the first time I've really looked at one. Man, I see a winner.

For those who, like me, haven't heard of the Standard until now, here's a rundown from SpydieWiki:
The C05, originally named "Economy", was Spyderco's first model designed with a low-cost objective. The name was later changed to "Standard".

Due to the similarities in size and shape of the blade the C05 is often viewed as the predecessor of the C11 Delica, another model targeting low production costs introduced a few years after the Economy. The C05 continued to be popular and was not discontinued until 1995. In the early 90s (?) the C05 was updated with thicker scales, a screwed clip, and "regular" polishing of the handles.

A project started at Spyderco to replace the C05 resulted in the C52 Calypso Jr., and in 1996 a Delica variation (C43 Delica II) with stainless steel handles was introduced.

The C05 Standard was reissued in 1998 with G-10 handles and an ATS-55 blade, but discontinued shortly afterwards due to low number of sales.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the buying public didn't see the winner that I saw. The last run of them, the G-10 model in ATS-55, looks to be the best iteration. I took a look at eBay, but I don't think that I'm ready to throw $300 down for one.

There are other options, of course. I am excited for the LeafJumper. I would sure like to pickup a Hap40 Caly 3 before they all disappear. The UKPK has a very similar handle. The Native, Sage 5, and Para 3 are all great 3" options with palm swells and round holes.

Still, even with all of these great options, I can't help but feel like the early retirement of the Standard is one of the great tragedies in early Spyderco history. Maybe there's something I'm missing? I wonder if anyone on the forum has one, and can comment as to how it measures up to its more successful sibling, the Delica.

I would love to see an updated C05 Standard built like a Delica 4. FRN scales over stainless liners, FFG blade, 4-way clip, David Boye dent, and most important of all - that nice, pointy tip - just like the older Delicas. I know this is a silly ask, and is entirely unlikely to happen. But then, JD did manage to persuade Sal to launch the Ayoob sprint, so I guess a man can dream. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Re: C05 Standard Revival

Post by Mushroom »

It’s a nice design and could be cool to see a sprint run. Especially with that laser engraved web on the handle, that’s a nice touch.

Although much like 1998, I have a feeling it might have trouble catching on as a regular production model today as well. It would have a lot of competition in Spyderco’s own catalog. It reminds me a lot of the recently released “UpTern” model, sans choil.

- Nick :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:19 pm
It would have a lot of competition in Spyderco’s own catalog. It reminds me a lot of the recently released “UpTern” model, sans choil.
I think you're right on both accounts, Mushroom. If/when there is an UpTern Lightweight, I'll be picking one up.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

The centefonte is another great model without any finger groves like the Delica. It has a nice thin blade stock too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:03 pm
It's no secret that I'm on team palm swell. I like a lot of things about the Delica: the compact size, light weight, thin blade, etc. I don't particularly enjoy how the "points" of the handle dig into my fingers in just the wrong place.

I saw a post on reddit the other day, where users mis-identified a C05 Standard as a C11 Delica. It's not the first time I've ever seen a Standard, but it is the first time I've really looked at one. Man, I see a winner.

For those who, like me, haven't heard of the Standard until now, here's a rundown from SpydieWiki:
The C05, originally named "Economy", was Spyderco's first model designed with a low-cost objective. The name was later changed to "Standard".

Due to the similarities in size and shape of the blade the C05 is often viewed as the predecessor of the C11 Delica, another model targeting low production costs introduced a few years after the Economy. The C05 continued to be popular and was not discontinued until 1995. In the early 90s (?) the C05 was updated with thicker scales, a screwed clip, and "regular" polishing of the handles.

A project started at Spyderco to replace the C05 resulted in the C52 Calypso Jr., and in 1996 a Delica variation (C43 Delica II) with stainless steel handles was introduced.

The C05 Standard was reissued in 1998 with G-10 handles and an ATS-55 blade, but discontinued shortly afterwards due to low number of sales.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the buying public didn't see the winner that I saw. The last run of them, the G-10 model in ATS-55, looks to be the best iteration. I took a look at eBay, but I don't think that I'm ready to throw $300 down for one.

There are other options, of course. I am excited for the LeafJumper. I would sure like to pickup a Hap40 Caly 3 before they all disappear. The UKPK has a very similar handle. The Native, Sage 5, and Para 3 are all great 3" options with palm swells and round holes.

Still, even with all of these great options, I can't help but feel like the early retirement of the Standard is one of the great tragedies in early Spyderco history. Maybe there's something I'm missing? I wonder if anyone on the forum has one, and can comment as to how it measures up to its more successful sibling, the Delica.

I would love to see an updated C05 Standard built like a Delica 4. FRN scales over stainless liners, FFG blade, 4-way clip, David Boye dent, and most important of all - that nice, pointy tip - just like the older Delicas. I know this is a silly ask, and is entirely unlikely to happen. But then, JD did manage to persuade Sal to launch the Ayoob sprint, so I guess a man can dream. ;)
I've got at least one Economy somewhere. If I can find it and my stainless Delica I can take some pictures. Or I could loan you a Standard to try for yourself.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

The uptern is very nice, and they are certainly on to something with it, i think initial fit and finish was a bit hohum and i returned it. I will buy another. I am also excited for the Leafjumper. The more neutral grip is going to be sweet. I am a sucker for the all stainless nostalgia look though.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when i look at the ladybug, manbug, dragonfly, or stretch, it's obvious how to hold them, even in multiple positions. looking at the delica, endela, and endura, it's far less obvious. it's even worse when you get them in hand. the spacing doesn't make sense. it almost seems like they are designed to specifically put the points under your fingers instead of between them. of course, it's not a huge deal. it's not really that uncomfortable, but it's less comfortable than it could be and it's puzzling.

all that to say that i 100% agree that a more neutral handle like the one shown or what we see on the stretch, rockjumper/leafjumper, caribbean, and even the manix and native would be much better in hand than the current grips are on the delica, endela, and endura.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I also admire the C05! And, as you mentioned...

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:03 pm
...There are other options, of course. ...

There are many things to love about the Caly Jr; one of my favorite attributes is how the finger choil is tucked more into the handle, rather than taking up so much edge real estate. Personal preference is for FRN over a SS handle, but that's just a matter of taste. Otherwise, lots of family similarities, and you can still find Caly Jrs without too much difficulty.
Attachments
CalyJr.jpg
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:22 pm
when i look at the ladybug, manbug, dragonfly, or stretch, it's obvious how to hold them, even in multiple positions. looking at the delica, endela, and endura, it's far less obvious. it's even worse when you get them in hand. the spacing doesn't make sense. it almost seems like they are designed to specifically put the points under your fingers instead of between them. of course, it's not a huge deal. it's not really that uncomfortable, but it's less comfortable than it could be and it's puzzling.

all that to say that i 100% agree that a more neutral handle like the one shown or what we see on the stretch, rockjumper/leafjumper, caribbean, and even the manix and native would be much better in hand than the current grips are on the delica, endela, and endura.
I don't have those problems. It may be due to having size 12 pinkies and going up from there. My only problem with the Delica is the length of the handle; the Endura is just right.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
when i look at the ladybug, manbug, dragonfly, or stretch, it's obvious how to hold them, even in multiple positions. looking at the delica, endela, and endura, it's far less obvious. it's even worse when you get them in hand. the spacing doesn't make sense. it almost seems like they are designed to specifically put the points under your fingers instead of between them....

Agree on all points ^ here. I don't "get" this family of handles. All Delicas I've purchased thru the years have long since been sold, as I've repurchased more intuitive (for me) handles. I've just assumed that there are many folks out there for whom a Delica/Endura grip makes sense. More power to 'em.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
...it's even worse when you get them in hand. the spacing doesn't make sense. it almost seems like they are designed to specifically put the points under your fingers instead of between them. of course, it's not a huge deal. it's not really that uncomfortable, but it's less comfortable than it could be and it's puzzling.
I find it uncomfortable enough that I've never purchased either for myself.

The big benefit of the points, I think, is that you get a sure grip - maybe multiple sure grips?

If you were planning on using your knife for self defense, you might prefer a "points" handle to a "swell" handle.

While I do sure feel better walking around at night with a knife than without, I spend a lot more time cutting open boxes and packaging than I do killing things. Actually, I spend more time fondling my knives than anything, but boxes is probably a close second.

I prefer Micarta to G-10, in most cases, for much the same reason.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 am
I've got at least one Economy somewhere. If I can find it and my stainless Delica I can take some pictures. Or I could loan you a Standard to try for yourself.
You are very kind to offer, Yablanowitz. I've been googling around a bit and found this photo from a reddit post.

Looking at more pictures, this one might be from the earlier Economy runs - the clip is stamped out from the scale.

One thing I like about the Delica handle is the lack of a pinky hook towards the butt of the knife - in theory, this allows for bigger hands to feel a bit less cramped, I think.

There's a used Standard for $40 on eBay right now, but it's in pretty rough shape. I suppose I could try my hands at refinishing it, but then I don't particularly love the stainless knives, and I hate to buy something just to have it sit on a shelf.

I guess what I'm really looking for is an answer to my alternate history question: what if the Standard had won out over the Delica, and been upated just like the Delica along the way? Would a 50/50 choil have been added, in time? Would the Ricasso have been reduced as in the RockJumper? I imagine it might look very much like a 3" Straight Spine Stretch.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:

I have a weird relationship with the Endura points. Like most, the points fall at my fingers. I recall at some point (pun intended) Sal mentioning the points preventing rolling in use. I don't know if it is the thinner handle or the points or subliminal messaging, but I never felt like the Endura would roll in my grip. The Rock Jumper in comparison has felt like rolling in a strong grip. I think the points act like palm breaks. I wish the points would remain, just move up towards the blade. This coming from a neutral handle fan. Just like the different about it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:18 pm
I guess what I'm really looking for is an answer to my alternate history question: what if the Standard had won out over the Delica, and been upated just like the Delica along the way? Would a 50/50 choil have been added, in time? Would the Ricasso have been reduced as in the RockJumper? I imagine it might look very much like a 3" Straight Spine Stretch.
I think it would have grown into the Calypso Jr.
bacidath

Post by bacidath »

heres you a pic of a 99 c05gs .well used
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

^ this model does look fantastic, I hope we see a sprint run of it in g10 and upgraded steel in the near future if it gets enough push for it on the forum
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I’ve got 2 of Standards. They’ve got the clip stamped out from handle.
One of the Standards was my late father-in-law’s (a rancher) is SE and well worn.
It still is used by my wife who likes to garden.

My father-in law gifted me the other around 1985. It is my 1st Spyderco.
Started me out on this hobby. :grin-big eyes Also very well worn (PE) it now resides in
The garage tool box.
Attachments
71919689-3F79-4091-BB8A-7E9973C58B8A.jpeg
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)